Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I visited a puppy mill with my dad, the mill owner was friends with my dad and my dad had his son in his class. I had never seen so many beagles in my life, the mill consisted of mostly beagles and a few other kinds of hounds. All the dogs had food and water and most had shelter, almost all were in good condition, but some were tied to trees with just 3 feet of chain with no shelter. I looked at all the dogs and pet the ones I could get to and weren't scared or dangerous. I finally found the puppies. There were only about 7 all in a rabbit hutch with a hole chewed in the door that I kept seeing puppy faces peek through. I unlatched the door prepared for puppy kisses but didn't get any. Instead all puppies crowded in fear in the farthest corner and some even squealed when I tried to pet them and one peed every where. There were rotting cattle bones scattered everywhere and in the crowd of lemon and white puppies I saw a little dark brown face, it was so small and it's belly was about 3x the size of the actual puppy I said "puppy puppy" in a high pitched voice and here came the little 1lb tri colored worm infested beagle puppy. She literally looked as though she wouldn't make it another week, she had tear stains really bad and was covered in feces and smelled horrible. I picked her up and she threw up on me but there was no way I was leaving her there. The mill owner told me I couldn't have her because he was going to have her put to sleep because she couldn't keep anything down and he couldn't afford vet care. I told him I'd take her but he was persistant, finally I handed all the money I had- $25 and made off with my puppy. As you probably already know this puppy was my Hallie. The whole ride to the vet she would have bouts of energy and try to play then she would be exhausted from the little effort. The vet said she might not make it as she was infested with round worms and tape worms. Once he wormed her the round worms were embedded in her intenstinal wall causing inflammation, she also had a GI tract infection, and severe food allergies. This was all in a span of 3 days!
My little girl kept fighting and fighting and that leads us to today, and my big pretty 26lb healthy 1 year old beagle! Happy Gotcha day Hallie!!! Sorry this was so long, thanks for reading! On to the pictures and videos of my pretty girl growing up!
Here's some videos of the mill I took when we got her AKC papers later sorry for the quality it was taken with a cell phone

They mill was huge so I had to take 3 different videos of the 3 different sections.

On to the happy stuff, Pictures!!

Day 3

8 weeks

9 weeks

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I love the face in the shoe...too too funny! :D What a brave thing you did even going to that place...is it still in business...I hope note. Hallie has grown to be a very beautiful girl. She had an angle above her when you walked in.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
And one I took today! We got her a new toy and a bandana for her gotcha day!

Thanks everyone for taking the time to see my little girl grow up! We've spent TONS of money just gettting her where she is today and we've had to make a ton of sacrifices but honestly, if I had the chance, I would do it all over again!

I love the face in the shoe...too too funny! :D What a brave thing you did even going to that place...is it still in business...I hope note. Hallie has grown to be a very beautiful girl. She had an angle above her when you walked in.
Lol thanks! She used to sleep in the weirdest places, that's my shoe and I'm ashamed to say, I don't know how she stood the stench! Unfortunately there isn't even an Animal Control or any dog laws (just livestock) laws in the county or surrounding counties. He put a gate up and we havent' been back since but I'm guessing he has even more dogs :mad:. Thank you very much. I love my big girl!

Good on you for choosing the one that needed you most.

Happy Gotcha Day Hallie
Thank you! I really believe she chose me..

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Great story. Happy Gotcha Day to Hallie! What a cute puppy! It would certainly be hard to resist...

·
Registered
554 Posts
What a bittersweet story. I was expecting just pictures of the puppymill and a puppy that ended up dying, so it was like a happy twist at the end of a sad story. It was wonderful to see her grow from a little puppy to an obviously-happy dog.

By the way: What kind of dog is Peanut?

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great story. Happy Gotcha Day to Hallie! What a cute puppy! It would certainly be hard to resist...
It definitely was! She was irresistible!

What a bittersweet story. I was expecting just pictures of the puppymill and a puppy that ended up dying, so it was like a happy twist at the end of a sad story. It was wonderful to see her grow from a little puppy to an obviously-happy dog.

By the way: What kind of dog is Peanut?
Yeah, that's how it is for a lot of puppymill puppies I'm just grateful my little girl made it! Thank you very much. Peanut is also from a puppymill, and he was a 'chihuahua' but he's a badly bred one and probably not pure, his ears stick up but when I took the picture of him and Hallie they were down because of an ear injury.

What a cute sweetie! I'm fighting not to cry.
Thank you, she's a great dog! I cried while I wrote it! It's a happy story though :)

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Glad I caught this thread as I peeked my head in! Happy gotchaday Hallie, growing more beautiful and more adorable everyday! Your mom did a great job with you.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Happy gotcha day. Hallie may not know or realize what was in store for her, but she is so fortunate that you were there that day to take her home and give her love. She looks like she's doing great, and she's super adorable.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glad I caught this thread as I peeked my head in! Happy gotchaday Hallie, growing more beautiful and more adorable everyday! Your mom did a great job with you.[/QUOTE
Thanks! She's doing great now and finally ready to start agility in the fall.

Lucky for her you found her, she is so cute.
Lucky for me to have found her! lol She can brighten my day no matter how bad it is. Thank you!

Happy gotcha day. Hallie may not know or realize what was in store for her, but she is so fortunate that you were there that day to take her home and give her love. She looks like she's doing great, and she's super adorable.
She is doing fantastic as far as genetic problems go we won't know for at least two years if she will have any serious problems but since she's doing so well no the vet is optimistic she'll be fine. She does have pretty bad food allergies though.Thank you so much

I tried to pet them and one peed every where.
Samantha was rescued from a puppy mill and she pees every where when I look at her, touch her or talk to her. We're trying to over come this though.
Hallie pees when a man she doesn't know approaches her, so we believe the miller may have hit her or was really rough with her at one point. We're using a ton of treats to overcome her problems, treats and love! Samantha is lucky to have found you, I've found that mill dogs are the best dogs!

Bless you for rescuing her. She's a beautiful girl! She obviously has a great life with you.
Thank you. I don't regret it a bit.

What a touching story!!! My eyes are tearing up, and i'm so happy that hallie found a great home!!! Hallie your beautiful!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I LOVE the 4 month photo!! There is just something about that happy yet soulful beagle face. The perfect blend of intelligence and cheeriness. I could look at them all day! Congrats on 1 year with Hallie! :eek:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts