Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago, I didn't think these existed. Now, there are 2 companies I found that sell these:

ERoam and PuPPod

They are quite expensive ranging from about $300 to $500. It also seems a bit boxy to wear around the dog's neck. Maybe in the future they can make the GPS part on the collar smaller and less noticable.

Has anyone tried these?

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I haven't but can't wait until they build an affordable one that can be fit into a microchip and injected into my pooch. If my dog is loose, the collar or harness are in my hand because she slipped or chewed her way out of them. Maybe what I need is a GPS collar on me and the control on my dog so that when she gets tired of roaming she'll know how to find her way back to me!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ha ha ha ha :D

I picture Ilya running to his heart's content before he realizes he doesn't know where he is.

I think you're on to something winnie777. Now if the dog can learn how to read.... :)

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
I know a lot of hunters that use hounds have collars like that. They have a small antenna on them so they can locate the hounds if they get lost.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
The only problem is that the people that lose their dogs the most are those that don't want to pay to have safe fencing, or don't microchip due to the expense. So they wouldn't be likely to pay for a GPS collar.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
ha ha ha ha :D

I picture Ilya running to his heart's content before he realizes he doesn't know where he is.

I think you're on to something winnie777. Now if the dog can learn how to read.... :)
I think Ilya and Poca would be great friends...runnningandrunningandrunning... until they got hungry!

Re dogs reading - I read about a study that showed dogs can read basic signs and obey commands from them. How long before they can read gps gadgets and then...run the world?!?! Poca already runs this house...:)

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
About a year ago, I didn't think these existed. Now, there are 2 companies I found that sell these:

ERoam and PuPPod
These are line-of-sight transmitters. Don't believe the advertised operating range for these devices. The maximum range is what is possible under ideal conditions. Assume that the best you'll ever see is half that distance. Trees, houses, and terrain can reduce even that.

There is one (I believe) that works on cellular phone technology. This has (theoretically) unlimited range. I also believe it requires a subscription in addition to the initial purchase price. I have really poor luck with cell signals. I only get a strong signal when I'm getting calls from people I don't want to talk to, and I can rarely get a signal when I need one. I live in one of the most populous regions in the country, too. We have more cellular towers than some states have people. I have to assume a system like that would be utterly useless in a wilderness area, and even in many rural areas.

I know a lot of hunters that use hounds have collars like that. They have a small antenna on them so they can locate the hounds if they get lost.
Houndsmen typically use radio telemetry collars in concert with directional receivers. These have at least double the range of GPS transmitters, and the hounds should be providing the hunter with their own "locating beacon".

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Marsh - that is what I heard about the hunting type locators about a year ago. It was sometimes effective.

In some locations, our cell phones have GPS capabilities and some of them let you track your children's location if they have their cell phones. I hope technology comes will allow collars (or some other idea for collar slippers) to track pets who love to run.

Ilya doesn't know the taste of freedom yet. At the dog park, he gets very uncomfortable if he cannot see me. This has been a lifesaver for me because I know how much he loves to run! (his fear of me being out of sight out weighs his desire to run a great distance away from me .... crosses fingers and hopes this lasts his lifetime....) In the meantime, perhaps technology will improve for these collars.

BTW.... my younger son wanted to teach Lola how to tree a squirrel. He got this brilliant idea from the movie Where the Red Ferns Grow. Do the owners generally follow the bark of their dog to find them or do they now use GPS? I can imagine the dogs running great distances before the tree a critter.

I think Ilya and Poca would be great friends...runnningandrunningandrunning... until they got hungry!
I bet they would! Ilya has been a little trouble maker lately too. He likes to tease the terrier with his stuffies now and get her to play tug-of-war with him. Today, when I looked over, he had gone through the laundry and was playing tug of war with my "bra" :eek: He looked like he was laughing hysterically when he saw my expression and when I told him to "leave it"... he gave me a big smile that looked like a halo was above him.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Today, when I looked over, he had gone through the laundry and was playing tug of war with my "bra" :eek: He looked like he was laughing hysterically when he saw my expression and when I told him to "leave it"... he gave me a big smile that looked like a halo was above him.
Very funny! At least he had the comic integrity to pick an item of laundry with laugh potential! Jeans? Just not funny enough, mom!

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Marsh - that is what I heard about the hunting type locators about a year ago. It was sometimes effective.
They work pretty well at what they were designed to do. The Garmin unit is for people who run pointing dogs that may run out of sight for considerable periods, "Out of sight" can mean different things in different terrain. In a New England grouse covert, that can be less than 50 yards away. Out on the South Dakota prairie, that can be 1/2 mile. In the tall grass, that can also mean 25 feet away. The hunter sees the dog stop moving and knows he is on point. Then ya just walk him up. If you have a dog who runs off, you get to watch as he ignores your whistle and moves off the map.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Then ya just walk him up. If you have a dog who runs off, you get to watch as he ignores your whistle and moves off the map.
ROFLOL!!! I have the perfect solution to that. Add a speaker/earphone to the collar and shout out "SIT!"

When I first let Ilya have the run of the house, I turned on my nanny cam so I can watch him at work. It has a speaker on it too. When I saw him investigate shoes... I shouted "LEAVE IT". I must have scared him and he looked confused trying to find me in the house. That was horrible of me.... but he left the shoes alone. :D I haven't used it except for that one time because most of the time he's snoozing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts