Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Roll - 3.jpg

Hey guys i'm looking after a chihuahua and this evening I noticed she was having trouble walking, then I noticed two nails from her front paws had become intertwined! I took a photo to show you. I'm taking her to the vet first thing tomorrow morning to get her nails clipped and luckily shes not in any pain. But I can't separate them because as soon as I apply some pressure to she growls at me. Her nails are so long they make almost a full loop and theres no way I can separate them on my own. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
never had that issue. because I dont neglect my animals, so they never end up in such shape. yes to m its a form of neglect. it hurts for them to walk, it can make bones in the foot shift, resuliting in defomed feet, which are sore.

who ever your looking after her for, would be getting a massive piece of my mind.

Can you not just cut them youself?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know how you feel I tried to do it myself but she won't let touch them without biting my fingers. Her other nails are short its just the two up from her paws where thumbs would be on a human. In three hours the vet opens so I'm gonna let them take care of it.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Never had the problem, we get our dogs nails cute every 4-6 weeks as a routine. It's only $10for nail trim & pad fur trim, well worth it. They get that done if they got long in between groomings, which we have done about every 2mo.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I know how you feel I tried to do it myself but she won't let touch them without biting my fingers. Her other nails are short its just the two up from her paws where thumbs would be on a human. In three hours the vet opens so I'm gonna let them take care of it.
The bolded part:
Those are called dew claws :). They don't touch the ground like her other claws do - so they don't get worn down from regular walking/wear and tear. They actually have to be trimmed to maintain a healthy length or they end up like this poor pups.

Just a little information :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts