Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
News Flash. The president of PETA has declared the term "Pet" is disrespectful and demeaning. Now, the "proper" term is "Animal Companion"

Completely nuts.

The PETA pres should be careful around Oak Tree Animal Companions.....

What is the next form of mind numbness????

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
This is exactly why they periodically make outlandish statements like this - free publicity.

·
Super Moderator
7,298 Posts
The same reason they keep trying to get the legal wording for pet ownership changed to pet guardians. Once you do that, they can keep whittling away at what exactly pet owners can and cannot do with their pets. It's all part of their end game, to end all animal ownership in North America.

·
Super Moderator
11,513 Posts
I realize that my wife and I almost never refer to our dogs as pets, though it has nothing to do with PETA.

Individually, we refer to them by their names. Collectively, they are The Dogs or (I'm embarrassed to admit) The Kids.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
I affectionately refer to my dogs as 'people'. For example, as in "you people wanna go in the car?".

Not like it matters much to me, but I suppose that might placate the AR wackjobs.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Nothing will placate Animal Rights Zealots. Recently PEtA has been in Grade Schools sponsoring assemblies for children about animals and the parents have no idea it is going on. Then send home coloring books..... it is scary.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My girlfriend calls our dogs "The Boys" but if people want to call their dog a pet that's completely fine. It's one of those situations where people in the world a becoming a little bit soft. You know like the banning of the not for girls Yorkie chocolates and all that. I don't see why its harmful to call them a pet? They have been that for years... What would PETA have to say if somebody registered their dog with the name "The-pet" apposed to a traditional name like "Max"

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hahaha I had a friend once who told me he thought I thought of him as a "pet" which is one situation in which I could see how the term could be demeaning, but I mean PETA likes all the attention don't they?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Anything to distract from their astronomically high euthanasia rates at their "shelter" (and abysmal adoption rates), or their stealing and killing pets without even following the legal hold period that might've allowed the family to reclaim their dog. Not to mention using manipulative tactics like faking animal abuse videos or even staging abuse of real animals to push their agenda. Oh, or how about when they donate to eco-terrorists?

And yeah, they're end goal is "total animal liberation". No livestock, no zoos, no species survival programs, no pets (or "companion animals", whatever), no service animals or mine-sniffing rats or search and rescue dogs. They're basically cool with every single domestic animal dying out, not to mention all the wild species that are only hanging on through captive breeding programs and habitat protection funded by zoos and research.

All the links are to various articles/pdfs backing up claims, but I found them with a quick google search. There's tons more out there. Animal rights is a legit dangerous movement, and I personally view PETA as a domestic terrorist organization. Just one very, very good at avoiding being directly connected to any major illegal activities, and with killer PR so that most people still see them as a bunch of crazy but harmless animal lovers who want to call fish "sea kittens" so people won't want to eat them (yeah, that was a thing a while back).

·
Registered
66 Posts
I like saying "I am his human, he is my dog", goes both ways.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts