Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im at it again. My pursuit of a new dog didn't stop with the last dog I got shot down for. I found another dog, a cane corso.Here is his picture

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14166758

Anyone have any thoughts on cane corsos? From what I have read about them, I like that they are a protective breed and smart....their strong will might be a challange (more for my husband than me though).

THANKS!

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Don't know much about them but that boy is gorgeous. What you've read seems right from the ones I've met, but my experience with them is very limited.

·
Banned
335 Posts
How much dog experience do you have? Have you worked with dogs that are extremely close to their working roots and are not intended to be pets? Are you prepared to handle a dog that can easily exceed 100 pounds and sling a large adult man around without a second thought?

None of the Cane Corsos that I've met (about a half dozen) have been particularly confident dogs, needing constant command and secure guidance to counteract their "suspicious" nature. I have found that they are somewhat aggressive to other dogs, particularly if they perceive that the dog is moving in a potentially threatening manner. I have seen a CC that was working in an agility ring dash across the ring, clear the gate, and take down a border collie that was romping with its owner. The only way that the CC was forced to release the BC was by another person dragging the CC away by its hind legs and swinging it through the air--I can't imagine the adrenaline that was needed to move 150 pounds of the dogs' combined weight that way.

I would *not* recommend a CC to anyone, let alone one from a shelter, unless they have had years of working dog experience and have preferably owned a CC or similar breed in the past. If you wanted that particular breed, I believe that your first CC should come from a reputable breeder who is able to act as your mentor before you even consider a CC from a shelter.

·
Banned
894 Posts
Im at it again. My pursuit of a new dog didn't stop with the last dog I got shot down for. I found another dog, a cane corso.Here is his picture

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14166758

Anyone have any thoughts on cane corsos? From what I have read about them, I like that they are a protective breed and smart....their strong will might be a challange (more for my husband than me though).

THANKS!

Every one I've met has grown up to be dog aggressive. There have been at least a dozen attempts to socialize CC puppies and my dog park and not one has worked out into adulthood.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
He's a beautiful boy, I don't know much about Corsos though so I'm afraid I'm not much help.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
What a cute face. Who wouldn't want to add such a sweet looking dog to their family.

Their temperament depends a lot on their breeding and early socialization. As good as my dog is temperament wise a friend of mine had one who was horrid. Extremely skittish, one of the most fearful dogs I've ever seen, totally opposite of what they should be. The dog is doing a lot better now though. The breeder was indeed a sod. What you read about a breed might not always be what you get in a dog of that breed depending on where you get the dog (and if what you read is even accurate).

My dog is very goofy and that seems to be in the typical range of Cane Corso temperament from most I've experienced. They are goofy to serious all in the same dog. They can be a little excitable and with their size (females should be 88-99 and males 99-110) they can get carried away, bump into you or others, knock down small children, ect. So they need to learn manners and how to control themselves. How to be polite and not jump on people.

They do also have a protective nature and it varies of how much you will see displayed in your dog depending on the situation. Generally they are social dogs, though some are more indifferent towards strangers and sometimes even aloof. Mine is very alert and can see people off in the distance or knows when something is out there. She will let me know and she will do some barks/growls. She has a good medium level prey drive along with her defense drive. She is fine with normal everyday people. Whether that is out in public or on my property. I've left her a few times and she's not given anyone trouble when they've come to care for her. The defense drive does not seem to be too extremely high like in certain other breeds.

She gets along greatly with all my dogs and has a very high tolerance level. It would take a lot to push her buttons as she'd rather play then anything. She is fine without strange or other dogs as long as they are fine with her. If they are aggressive, challenging, ect that will not go unnoticed in the least. If the other dog is a threat they are treated as such. Also I find them stubborn, at least in comparison to my Pits. I can't just simply command her to do as I please. She does work off praise as a reward very well though. It is just me who expects her to instantly listen right away as that is what I'm used to. I had to change my training techniques and grow some patience and understanding.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much for your replies. I am waiting to see what the group has to say in a return email. If there is even a hint that this wont work out (my dogs dont like him or vice versa, he is completely nuts, etc) I am not going to adopt him. But I like to get my feelers out there because I do want another dog sooner than later. But when it comes down to the final decision, you bet I am going to look at all the angles.

I really appreciate all your replies!

·
Banned
335 Posts
I really, really, really think that you should reconsider your application to adopt this dog. No matter what the agency says, unless you have done a great deal of research into this breed and have owned previous examples of this breed or one of a similar nature, it is a bad idea for you to get this dog. Cane Corsos are not really pets, although people experienced with the breed or similar breeds may get them to successfully integrate into the family. A person that is not experienced with the breed who adopts one from a shelter is just asking for an "accident" to happen.

If you want a dog that is a challenge, contact me and I will send you a cranky seven-year-old intact male Toy Fox Terrier who barks too much. At least he won't end up target practice for a LEO who deems your loose dog a danger to society--and he'll even enjoy snuggling with you under the blanket when you are home.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I have heard that this breed has a very strong proclivity towards being da and even ha. You couple that with a 100lb dog and you've got a huge problem on your hands. I would be extremely reluctant myself in adopting a large dog with these proclivities.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts