Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I has a headache...who wants a GSD for awhile?

I love the new girl...love, love, love her....but I haven't had a puppy in 5 years.

Del is 2 years old (almost 3) and still very much a puppy, and she lacks some very basic manners, and it is driving me NUTS.

Like, she thinks mouthing is appropriate, and that taking a flying leap onto the bed (and sitting on dad's head) are ok, and that nose poking and foot slapping for pets are acceptable.

She's also extremely happy-go-lucky and "HAIIIIII EVERYBODYYYY!!!!" whereas Strauss is a pretty darn serious dog.

Temperamentally my preference is Strauss. I don't care for a dog that wants to be in your face all the time.

Delphi is currently laying quietly at my feet (at least she was until Jon walked by). She'll stay flopped on the floor...until somebody walks by , and then she annoys them until they touch her.

She also constantly wants to play, and Strauss is getting to the point where he's just annoyed. He's not a big dog/dog play type so the fact that he plays with Delphi at all is amazing. But she constantly gnaws on his face to try and get him to play....and today she discovered barking at him to try to incite play.

Lovely.

I think she's going to be a lot of fun once she settles her butt down, I'm just struggling a little.

Strauss was very serious, even as a puppy, so dealing with such an outgoing dog is very strange and challenging for me.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Oh, Xeph, I know what you mean! Jaia is the mellowest boy! But when B'asia came along... Well, let's just say that she's insane and leave it at that.

But if you MUST leave Delphi with someone, we'll take her. :D LOL Maybe she'd calm B'asia down a little... Nah. But at least she'd have someone to be crazy with. :D

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Delphi is Atka's sister....... More family I swear.. we are all related Xeph...

After Kazi (more like Strauss).. Atka can be pretty hard to take sometimes...

Maybe we ought to get Atka and Delphi together and let them wear each other down (instead of US!).

·
Registered
673 Posts
you are living in my world I see:D just different breeds. I'm selfish enough to say I'm happy I'm not alone. I guess Dakota has gotten better with mouthing and jumping on heads, paw slaps etc.... but she needs to be touched and petted constantly!!!! You can send the pup my way when she's around 2 years:)

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She's already two :p She'll be 3 in August

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
HA! I'll trade your almost 3 year old GSD for a just over 3 year old Golden, then you'll see how good you got it. Rusty is still trying to make the case that biting a blanket/comforter is not the same as biting feet--even if there are feet underneath said blanket/comforter. The feet are merely collateral bitage, if you will. Rotties are so much more adept at arguing legal gray areas.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
HA! I'll trade your almost 3 year old GSD for a just over 3 year old Golden, then you'll see how good you got it. Rusty is still trying to make the case that biting a blanket/comforter is not the same as biting feet--even if there are feet underneath said blanket/comforter. The feet are merely collateral bitage, if you will. Rotties are so much more adept at arguing legal gray areas.
God no...I don't do sporting dogs :p lol

send her to me when she's 4 or 5
Well, I'll like her by then xD

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
They say Goldens take 3 years to mature (some say 4 years). Rusty is no longer the perpetual motion machine he was when he was younger, but I've seen no change whatsoever in his sense of play. The same things (like plopping a tennis ball into your coffee mug) are just as much "fun" as they were the very first time.

I will say that he pretty much restricts himself to tormenting my wife. She says: "Why don't you stop him from doing that?". I say: "Because he's not doing it to me.".

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, all this time I thought you were a woman Marsh *ROFL!!*

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Well, all this time I thought you were a woman Marsh *ROFL!!*
That's because I'm so totally in touch with my feminine side*.

*My wife will get a huge charge out of that one.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I'll take her. I love GSDs.

Just as a small warning... Cameron turned 4 yesterday. He's still a puppy. *sigh* He'll always be a puppy. But that perfectly balances Toby, who was never a puppy even when he was very young.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
If you're struggling now, what will you do with a litter of pups? :p

Poor Strauss.. sounds like he's being a good ol' dog putting up with the annoying teenage girlie..

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I recall my Grandfather talking to a friend of his about the friend's "new" daughter in law. Apparently she was not "behaving" as they thought she should be.. and my Grandfather said, "Well, wait until she's pregnant. THAT'LL settler her!" :eek:

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Send her back to me, Hawkeye has regained his annoying puppynes that Delphi sucked out of him. I think He could use another Delphi fix to calm him down again.

It's like when Hawk is around her he plays for a while and then he gets all "OMG This girl is such a PAIN! Mom take her away!"

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
**takes Delphi and runs** Huh, uhm no, haven't seen her! ;)

Good luck, I also prefer what you say Strauss has for temperament...Lacey is much the same. She'll play with other dogs, but enough is enough when she says it's enough. She is not amused by doofy pitbull, lol.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Smalls has all but scared me out of puppies when I remember just how terrible she was. I worked very hard with her, and it seemed like I was making NO progress. Then she hits a year and a half and bam- all bad behaviors gone. No more mouthing, slapping with paws, running full speed and leaping at me, chewing any thing she can get her mouth on (including the corner of the walls and doors).. That's what I get for getting a Beagle X Lab. She's three now, and I'm finally considering raising a puppy again. :p

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I don't know what this world is like.

Wally will just sleep the day away until I move. He hardly ever tries to start something with me - unless he just woke up from a nap (he'll make a bit of an effort, some barks, play bows) or if I have food or it's dinner time, then it's the let's-see-how-many-behaviors-I-have-to-go-through-until-he-notices-me-game.

Sit. Stare. Sit and stare. Paw. Nose touch. Bark. Whimper. Paw again. Paw with both paws. Lick. Bark. Then loud barks. I swear the dog lives for food.

I kinda wish he was more like the "pestering" dogs, though I'm sure the horde will come out and say, basically, THANK YOUR LUCKY STARS!

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Eddie is insane...I've said it a million times. He's 2 1/2 years old and I don't think he'll ever grow up so I kind of know what it feels like. :)

Uallis, on the other hand, can be so lazy and mellow that you'd think he was half dead the way he acts. If I let him, all he'd gladly do is sleeping on his couch all day. It is near impossible to get him to do anything he doesn't want to do. He has the most amazing ability to completely ignore me. Instead of him coming to ME to initiate play, I find that I have to be the one to initiate and 9 times out of 10 he "shoots me down" and refuses, normally by shutting his eyes and going back to sleep. Sometimes, I wish he had a tiny bit more...energy, or rather...spunk; just a little more...something. Honestly, he can be almost boring sometimes. :rolleyes:

I wish Eddie would take on a little more of Uallis's mellowness (I don't even think that is a word...lol) and Uallis take a little of Eddie's energy...mix the 2 together and they'd be the perfect dog for me energy wise...:p

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you're struggling now, what will you do with a litter of pups?
The only stay for 8 weeks (if things go right xD) And 8 week old puppies are supposed to act like puppies.

Send her back to me
I just might (srsly).

Like I said before, I may just be more frustrated because Strauss was an EXTREMELY serious puppy (Keechak knows...she's known him since I've had him). He wasn't destructive, he wasn't wild, he wasn't so active I couldn't keep up...he was very matter of fact and business like.

He's still that way for the most part, reserving his silliness for the human kind. Loves people....doesn't want to say hi to everybody save the people he knows.

Delphi just wants to love eeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvryyyyyyyyyyyybodyyyyy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts