Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my doggies vet recommended giving them Omega 3. She said to give them the inside of the capsule on their food.

I don't know if she meant human Omega 3 pills...
Found several dog Omega 3 but there are variety and don't know which one to choose.

I have yorkies, labrador, and german shepherd. Shall I give them different pills due to their sizes?

I'm especially interested in buying for the little ones. Ive read Fish Oil being suggested around the forums.

One of my Yorkies has thyroids low levels and is on medications, I've noticed her back legs get tired or weaker yet she walks a lot. She also has ringworm which the vet said it could take a while to treat. My other yorkie heart was shown larger on x-rays.

Which do you recommend?
http://www.allivet.com/search.aspx?SearchTerm=omega+3&EntityType=p&ppagenum=1

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
You want to give the dog enough fish oil for a total EPA dose of 1500mg, regardless of the dog's weight. Most human brands are OK, even the Wal-Mart brands. If the oil tastes harsh or the bottle smells fishy when you open it, then you probably want a different brand. Most druggists can point you at good over the counter brands.

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
What problems? I think that Omega 3 comes in two general types - short chain from plants and long chain from animals. Animals have to convert the short chain to long chain, and it's not efficient. Most of the issues that I'm aware of have to do with fish smell or taste and are minor, avoidable with a little food, or by increase to a slightly higher quality brand. I've taken a very high quality fish oil for more than 10 years with no side effects, as far as I know. Some newer research suggested that supplements aren't as good as food for fish oil, but much older research showed that benefits kick in after 1500mg of EPA, and the newer research ignored those findings. Most Vets that I've spoken to recommend 1500mg. EPA helps to reduce inflammation, and is good for heart and muscle problems. It may take 30 days before you detect any subtle improvements.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts