Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 1/2 year old female pit mix who is a Katrina rescue. When she was only 1.5 years old she had what we think was a seizure (although in the back of my mind I think it might have been a stroke.) She couldn't see anything for 24 hours and couldn't walk for about a month. She looked like she was close to death but I refused to put her down and she finally started getting back to normal. Our vet said he had never seen anything like her situation and we still dont really know the cause. Does anyone know if dog food could do something like that? She has been on Ol'Roy since she was a puppy and I never made the connection so I am planning on switching dog food. Has anyone given their dog Ol'Roy and then had neurological problems? Around the time she had the seizure, I remember there was a recall but I asked my vet and he said that probably would not be the problem.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
In humans, diet can play a huge role in seizure severity and frequency. So, yes, it could be diet related, though I can't say it's because of THAT particular brand (unless her seizure disorder was caused by tainted food at some point). I would say that some experimentation in diet is called for, though.

·
Banned
572 Posts
If there was something in the food aggrivating the brain tissue, then yes, definitely, the food could have caused the seizure. My epileptic will seize 98% of the time due to food intolerance, 1% due to stress, and 1% just because. Too much protein and red meat protein especially aggrivates the condition for him.

I have to say though, unless the seizure was particularly severe/long or come in clusters, they normally don't suffer that much brain damage. It may have been a stroke - or a seizure that induced a stroke. FYI, my epileptic takes Ginkgo Biloba to prevent or stop the seizure as it's occuring. It increases the blood flow to the brain & has undone much of the damage his grand mal seizures did before we began medicating him. I have also been giving it to my dog who recently had a severe hypoglycemic fit. Both dogs are benefiting from being supplemented with this herb.

·
Registered
932 Posts
My oldest dogs were fed Ol'Roy for five years... Half a decade, weaned onto it and fed it until I joined DF.

I've never had any seizure problems, although my older female has an issue with backward sneezing every once in awhile, although I don't know if it's due to her Ol' Roy or not. I'm fairly certain it was, it used to be more often, and the wheezing used to last longer.

Even if it isn't her food, I would definatly switch the food. Ol' Roy a really bad brand of food, most just corn...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive heard with seizures that they usually bounce right back after the seizure. they tested her for epilepsy and she doesn't have that. She is pretty much back to normal now although she doesn't have perfect balance (on non-carpeted floors) and it seems that her fear of strangers has gotten much worse. She has always been fearful since a puppy, but now after the "seizure" she has almost an extreme fear of people, especially men. The vet has her on Phenobarbital but since that is damaging to her liver, I am hoping they will come out with something better soon.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Ol' Roy a really bad brand of food, most just corn...
I wouldn't say REALLY bad---it's almost identical to Pedigree. Which isn't great---like you said, mostly corn---but not as bad as, say, dollar store brand food or grocery store brand food.

I would say (not having any experience with seizures in dogs) that if she only had one "episode", with damage lasting an entire month, it was probably more on the order of a stroke. Although a severe seizure could do that, too, I guess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts