Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The vet I work for has a retired greyhound named Ollie. Ollie is now around twelve and in poor health. I feel so sorry for my boss and him. I never realized how difficult it must be for vets to have to euthanize older sick pets when the loss of your best buddy is so near. I see it in his eyes every time he has to do a euth. We all love Ollie he comes to work with his Dad almost every day. He will be missed by all when his time comes. I just don't know how Doc will handle it. It's so different to see the other side of the page. My heart goes out to both of them.

·
Registered
417 Posts
((HUGS))
I used to work for a Vet. I can still remember the day we had to put down his first dog.
On that note, when it came time to put down my dog (my boss knew him since he was a pup) my husband wanted to be there, so I let him take the dog and I stayed home with the kids.
When dh came home I asked how did it go, and he said I was doing fine until your boss started to cry. My boss had known my dog longer then my husband..

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I just chose a vet when I got Hope, my old vet is 200+ miles away..

He seemed to take a real liking to her, I was a little surprised and just thought wow what a nice vet.. Then on my 3rd or 4th visit (all in the first month) he went in his office and brought out a professional photographer type picture in a nice frame of a dog that looks just like her, a GSD with floppy ears and all and almost identical markings.

He then told me the story about the dog being his best buddy all through vet school and more, how it lived until it was quite old, 16-17 years I think he said..

Must be hard, he obviously cared a lot for his dog. I know I took a few years after I put my last one down before I had any desire to invest my heart into another dog.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts