Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by a trainer that giving a dog 2-3 teaspoons of olive oil a week can help cure dandruff and make the coat shinier. It definitely cured up the dandruff quickly! I was floored. So my question is, can olive oil take the place of fish (salmon) oil? It is cheaper and seems to have the same effect! Has anyone else tried/heard of this?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Different types of omegas, so no, it won't take fish oil's place exactly, but it's not a bad thing to give. Just don't overdo it.
Olive oil has more omega 6 than omega 3, hardly any 3 actually. Fish oils have a lot more 3 than olive and barely any 6. They are basically opposites when it comes to omega content.

·
Registered
213 Posts
To expand on what Losech said, fish oils have some ability to reduce inflammation (and hence often to reduce itching), so they have become the oil of choice if you are using them in itchy dogs. As was pointed out, this is due to their specific profile of omega fatty acids. If your only goal is to increase the amount of oil in the coat and to decrease dry skin, almost any oil will work. Watch out for weight gain if you are using too much of any oil, however.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So would it be good to use them together? So the amounts of omega 6s and omega 3s are balanced out?

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
I believe that olive oil also has Omega 9. Assume that fish oil and olive oil have both different and complementary functions. So, don't stop using Fish oil, and use olive oil if it works. Don't worry about trying to balance them, the biochemistry isn't fun and isn't accurate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts