Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
My favorite dog story:

My grandfather was introduced to Dobermans by a German expat Dobie breeder in England during WWII. Grandpa was enamored of the breed and determined to breed his own line of Dobies based on this man's prize winning dogs. He goes home, starts a construction company and begins preparing for his dream. Then he finds a Chihuahua freezing and emaciated at a construction site. He nurses it back to health, carrying it in his shirt for a week, feeding it tidbits of meat every 30 minutes until it was strong enough to stand and eat on its own.

The dog was a nightmare. It hated everyone but Grandpa. It tolerated Grandpa's family, barely. It hated other dogs and nearly got itself killed numerous times starting fights with huge dogs. Grandpa kept that dog for the next 20 years (it was around 1 when he found it), killing his dream of breeding as the German man died in the meantime. The only time my mother ever saw Grandpa cry was when Little Rat, as the Chi was named, died.

Grandpa's sacrifice of his Dobie dream for a bad tempered, stray Chi made my mother the dog owner she was and me the dog owner I am. We get the dogs we need, not the dogs we want.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I haven't had many dogs. My family has only had 2, and I have Mumble who is still alive. My family's first dog died the oldest. He was a Norwegian Elkhound and he lived to be 13. I was 8 when he died, and all I can remember them saying was that he was "swallowing air" for a couple days, and finally his kidneys failed. I suppose it could have been bloat but nobody ever used that term. He did look very swollen.

Our second dog was a Westie, who just died last March. He was only 11, and was acting as a puppy right up until a couple weeks before. It was very unexpected. He was diagnosed with Lymphoma and passed 10 days later.

It's not a dog, so I guess this is slightly off topic. But my friend has an outside cat that's 16 years old, has survived being run over twice (well, one of those times it was just the tail, which it lost), was trapped in a shed for a week, and once rode on the top of their car for a mile or so (they didn't know she was up there). Still going strong. I call her the Tuck Everlasting cat.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I haven't had many dogs. My family has only had 2, and I have Mumble who is still alive. My family's first dog died the oldest. He was a Norwegian Elkhound and he lived to be 13. I was 8 when he died, and all I can remember them saying was that he was "swallowing air" for a couple days, and finally his kidneys failed. I suppose it could have been bloat but nobody ever used that term. He did look very swollen.

Our second dog was a Westie, who just died last March. He was only 11, and was acting as a puppy right up until a couple weeks before. It was very unexpected. He was diagnosed with Lymphoma and passed 10 days later.

It's not a dog, so I guess this is slightly off topic. But my friend has an outside cat that's 16 years old, has survived being run over twice (well, one of those times it was just the tail, which it lost), was trapped in a shed for a week, and once rode on the top of their car for a mile or so (they didn't know she was up there). Still going strong. I call her the Tuck Everlasting cat.
Haha, the cat story made me laugh, cats are something else. My grandmothers cats are 15 right now and still going strong.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
My childhood dog, Mitzy, lived to be 16. I think she was a Lab/Cocker Spaniel mix (mutt from a pet shop before most designer mixes were so common). And, even at 16, she was euthanized due to several nagging old age issues, and didn't die of a specific cause.

Here's a photo of her when she was about 12-13. She was such a sweet dog.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I had to have Heidi, a Jack Russell Terrier, put to sleep 3 weeks before she turned 14. She was a lucky dog to make it that long. When she was 3 or 4 she swallowed a tampon that pushed through her intestines. She had to have 8-10 feet of intestines removed when she was already weak from not eating. The year after that she got hit by a car and only had a raw spot on her hip. I loved that dog! I hope that Lola, my current JRT, lives to be way older.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
My significant other's childhood dog was a terrier mix and she lived to be 16. They had to put her to sleep just last year due to a combination of her having several seizures daily, arthritis, and other such issues.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Our Swiss Bernese Mountain Dog lived almost to 11, which seems to be a ripe old age for a Berner. His last year of life we spent a lot of time in his crate because we were doing construction on the house. He still got all his walks/runs but it was common for him to spend 8-10 hours in there. Sometimes I wonder if the confinement and stress of construction shortened his life a little. It makes me really sad to think about. I had a bond with Buster that was really strong. He was one of those dogs you just look at and your heart swells a little so losing him was awful. Anyways, he died of a heart attack on his way home from a romp at the park. It was quick and relatively painless.

·
Registered
933 Posts
My Best Friend/Sister's childhood Sheltie lived to 19 and my "childhood" Eskimo mix lived to 16 both just died of natural causes...

·
Registered
971 Posts
I barely had a childhood dog. :/ We did get one, her name was Sheba, but due to Military housing issues we didn't keep her for long. We only had her for maybe a year and then had to give her to a pound. I was heartbroken ... and mad. :( Next dog we got was Dutchess after my dad retired and we moved here (AR). She made it to 14. Now my next oldest is Camillia, in 2 months she'll be 15. She usually sleeps most of the time but she does get her hyper moments. :)

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Of my dogs, Willow just barely made 13, but she was a hot mess in general so that was more than I expected, really. My current 3 are all 10 years old and in far better shape than Willow was at that age. My childhood cats made it to 21!

My cousins had a "Tuck Everlasting" farm dog. He was a Peke/Poodle mix (not your standard farm dog). He never saw a vet in his entire life, ate nothing but scraps, never went inside even when it was 40 below zero, was hit by cars several times, fought with badgers, skunks, or whatever else wanted to fight, and ran with the coyotes every night. And lived to be 17 or 18!

When I was little, our landlady had a little Chihuahua named Bronco, who hated kids, and I was scared of him, too. I'm told he lived to be 21, probably just to scare more little kids :p.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
My cousins had a "Tuck Everlasting" farm dog. He was a Peke/Poodle mix (not your standard farm dog). He never saw a vet in his entire life, ate nothing but scraps, never went inside even when it was 40 below zero, was hit by cars several times, fought with badgers, skunks, or whatever else wanted to fight, and ran with the coyotes every night. And lived to be 17 or 18!
That reminds me of my friends dog Lucky. She was found as a pup only a few weeks old drowning in a ditch on the side of the road in Kuala Lampur. My friend took her home and nursed her to health. Lucky was bitten by a snake, moved from Indonesia to British Columbia to Alaska, hit by a car, got leukemia at age 13... survived! And lived to be 17. She was really well cared for and loved by my friends family..... Lucky dog indeed.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
I had a 17 and a 16. I know an ACD that just passed that was a tad shy of 25..... I also know an ACD that is pushing 20 and works at a stock yard. He still shows up for work every morning.

I know tons of ACDS is the 15-22 year old range...

·
Registered
142 Posts
my adopted Chi .... Buster....lived to 18. i know thats not rare for a Chi but he was my first & developed alzheimers & was the luv of my life forever. i wud have thrown myself in front of a train for him.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
We had a client with a toy poodle at our clinic we put to sleep at she claims 23
We had a client with a Dalmatian we put to sleep at they claimed 22 yrs. ( which is a m a z i n g for this breed )

Both of these dogs were so old it looked like if you just breathed to hard near them they would turn to dust.

My last 2 personal dogs. =-( My Maltese died of a brain tumor at 7 yrs old. then we bought Kobie and he died of a obstruction at 10 yrs. It makes me sad because I would love to have a dog that lives a longer then normal healthy life.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
my first dog as an adult Smokey, he went a few months past 18 I helped him pass over for not being able to get around but he was still so strong in spirit to still want to be with us, was the hardest passing for me to do,, I always thought he was Sammie something he had a greyish /black saddle fur color pattern on his back maybe GSD or not. Found him in Florida as a pup, stay'd with my mom while I was in Korea for a year and got really fat. Had trouble walking and found that he was severly HD , but the good thing was he was so severly HD barely any hip socket formation that getting the extra 30lbs off of him there would be no bone on bone grinding and he did just fine getting him back to 50 -55lbs.. Was diagnose with congested heart failure at 13, looked like a purple blowfish. but with a Raw diet, CoQ10 he recovered and just kept going .. Miss him dearly.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Oldest dog we've owned was unfortunately only 10. Our Golden died of cancer.

My uncle's Husky died a few years back, she was 14. I used to babysit for a couple who had a mutt who was 17 or 18. My aunt's Pittie was around 16 when he died.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.