Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How old was the oldest dog you've owned/known? What eventually got them?

I've had:

Nala, PekeX ,make it to 13. My parents got her from a pet store when I was 6 and she lived till I was 18. She had lymphoma.

Chevy, LabXDobe, make it to 11. I got her free from a newspaper when I was either 13 or 14 and she lived till I was 20. She was euthanized due to quality of life (diabetes, blindness, kidney failure, arthritis, senile).

My uncle owned two dogs, both PitX litter mates, Java and Rusty. Both made it into their late teens, not sure of age. Both had been around since I was a toddler.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
The oldest dog I have ever had was my childhood Terrier mix ... all of 12 pounds and solid black with white tipped feet. He had a stroke at the age of 14 chasing and playing with a neighbors Doberman .... but recovered and lived to be 17 years old. He was given to my Mother for me when I was born. He was from a litter of pups on a farm for free. :)

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Well, all the dogs I have owned are still alive, the oldest being 12-13.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
One of my childhood dogs, a mini schnauzer, lived until almost 16. I honestly don't remember why she finally passed, since I was in college at the time, but she had a lot of general old age related issues so I don't think it was something specific.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
My Grandpa had farm dog,that lived to the ripe age of 17 years,she was BC/Kelpie/ACD cross.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
My Dal lived to be 14, my oldest weim lived to be 12.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Our oldest was Trey, sheltie. Lived to 13 and a few months.

I'm hoping Summer lives as long as her mom and grandma- they were both over 16 when they passed. Summer is 8 1/2 and looks and acts like a young pup. Much younger acting than any of our other dogs at her age.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
So far the oldest dog I've had personally was a greyhound who lived to be 15. Our family dog growing up was a cockapoo who lived to be 16.

Other people's dogs... I've known many in their late teens (17+) and a few around 20-21.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Who knows how old my childhood dogs got to be, my mom always rehomed them after a few years :/ So far my oldest dog ever is only about to be 7 and that's Terror, who's still got a long time left with us :) and will NEVER be rehomed!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Family dog Foxy, a miniature long haired dachshund. He lived to be 17. He was almost culled from the litter because his left ear got bit and had to be removed. The breeder thought that no one would want him.

·
Registered
764 Posts
My childhood dogs lived to ripe old ages. Sugar, a small poodle/terrier mix, lived to be 17, Boo, a pekinese/ poodle mix, lived to be 16, and Bogart, a cocker spaniel mix, lived to be at least 16 (he was a stray that we had for 16 years. He was probably about 1 year old when we got him).

Sugar and Boo both were put to sleep because of their health, Bogart had a stroke that he couldn't recover from.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Poco, my grandmother's dog, was 14 for a Sheltie. I believe he was, I'll have to ask my father of Poco's age but he was up there. He was the sweetest dog ever too. Before Luke, I loved this dog very much.

And I was at a play timer at a kennel and I'll never forget Cosimo. I wasn't big on older dogs, they were nice but I thought to myself I would never adopt one. Well...Cosimo changed all that and he, too, was a Sheltie. He was 11 at the time, I would say. He just wanted to be loved, jumped in my lap and stayed there. He changed my mind on older dogs and he was a cutie too. If he was 11 around 2001, I imagined he lived a nice/longer life.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Well the last dogs I got as a kid, both with my grandfather now....they were supposed to be my dogs, but try telling them that. Charity went with my grandfather after the divorce and Kassie went later when I left for college and my father hates dogs so I thought she would be better off there, and well they just never left there and I wouldn't dare take them again, even If I do miss them.

Kassie: Aussie/Pit mix: Turned 14 this January. Her face is completely white and she has had arthritis since she was young due to the cruelty of her past owners. I picked her out at the shelter when she was 17 weeks old. Just in that short amount of time she was in 7 different homes. Whoever "docked her tail did a terrible job, it was nasty, it never really did heal right, and still to this day she doesn't like men. She was probably the greatest dog I ever had growing up, she is what I would call an "old soul" if anyone understands that. Even as a pup she never played, she just always had a deep understanding of everything going on!

Charity: Beagle/Cocker spaniel my grandfathers heart dog is he ever had one, I picked her out at the same shelter a few short months after Kassie, because as a kid I thought Kassie was lonely when I was at school, ...she will be 13 in July....most interesting she has been raised like most people hate, table scraps and kibbles and bits lol. She is round as a barrel but still very athletic , loves to swim and has the shiniest glossy coat I've ever seen on a dog. She still thinks she in her prime! She was a terror back then and aggravated Kassie to hell and back.

I have such a love for old dogs, nothing like them. When we visit my grandfather, Charity at her age still comes spiriting full speed ahead across the yard, "talking" to you, its not a bark, its like she is literally talking to you, you would never guess her age the way she acts if it wasn't for the white face and Kassie just wanders down the path and patiently waits her turn, but you can see in her eyes how excited she is.

·
Super Moderator
11,635 Posts
14 seems to be the magic number at our house. Our beagle, Irish setter and lab all lived to be 14. The latter two were remarkable since they were large dogs who had some very tough times before I knew them.

The beagle, though, never had a bad day in his life.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
14 seems to be the magic number at our house. Our beagle, Irish setter and lab all lived to be 14. The latter two were remarkable since they were large dogs who had some very tough times before I knew them.

The beagle, though, never had a bad day in his life.
I think its a beagle thing...I know a lot of OLD healthy beagles. I think its their stubborn nature, they have to much stuff to sniff out to die....lol.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My uncle's German Shepherds lived to be 14 and 8. His eight year old developed a golf ball size tumour on his muzzle over the course of a week, he was euthed later when his quality of life deteriorated.

Arrow is going to live forever.:p

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.