Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suggestions ... this dog came to us 4 yrs ago and is now about 8 yrs old. Still sneaks and pees in house but goes out when we are watching closely. Does all bowel movements outside. Has some aggression issues. Though most are good with us now, he would be euthenized if surrendered to Humane Society and rescues won't risk taking him, so we want to do everything possible to keep him here where his home is now. We have a mini dachshund spayed female and two larger dogs that never mess in the house ever despite Harley doing it whenever he gets the chance.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Always the same spot/spots? Did you get it with enzyme cleaner? (otherwise the scent will attract him to pee there again) I don't know with a dog that age but maybe start taking him out on the lead four or five times a day and rewarding him with some chicken or something every time he pees outside. Give him an incentive to get up and do it out there.

If you yell at them for peeing inside they just get sneakier about it, if you catch them you can startle them, pick em up and move them outside then treat if they go but really you have to be one step ahead of them and get them outside after naps and such.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We don't yell at him. Obviously original owner never took the time. All carpets have been removed, floor sealed and new vinyl flooring being installed next week. Once 100% water proof flooring is installed, will definitely help with cleanup if needed. Nothing gets down through underpadding and neutralizes the wood flooring with carpet in place. I've tried everything. You would not believe the mess in the wood...spots everywhere! Anyway...it's 3--4 days with no issues now, then he does it again. Still...I haven't given up. I know the breed and their potty outside stubborness.

Anyway, I think the crate is the best thing for night and when we are not here since he is a belly band with suspenders escape artist. I will have to bring him with me to bathroom, laundry...virtually everywhere because the minute you are out of sight...he's done it. It's like a game with him. My girls are so amazing (we trained them). They have not started doing it despite his behaviour and one is a mini long haired doxie. Harley is a standard dapple.

He has met his match. I can be just as stubborn as he is. LOL

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Yes, most likely, previous owners may have scolded him for going potty inside, so he learned to sneak off and do it. It, unfortunately, became a habit. As you have already seemed to realize, you will need to potty train him as if he was a little puppy. Take him out frequently. Keep him 100% supervised, and when you can't, into the crate he goes. Clean up any spots with enzymatic cleaner. The urine may have leaked to our subfloor, so clean that too since you are replacing some flooring. Make sure to have a party and reward him with the best treats for for going in the proper spot.

Also, if you may want do a vet check to see if he has a UTI. He may physically be unable to hold it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
One thing you can try is a belly band. It does not stop them from peeing right away but some dogs once they have worn it for a while do not like the feel of the wet band and they quit. You take it off every time they go outside or when they are in the room with you and there is no way to sneak off and pee. I would also not give them free run of the house till you can trust him not to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts