Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our almost one-year-old dog has a tendency to nip when she's really excited. It doesn't happen often - maybe once or twice a week - but it's something that needs to stop. Will the same bite inhibition protocol (from "the bite stops here" sticky and Hanksimon's modifications) used with young puppies work with her? Is there anything else we should / could do?

If it matters, we got her at 5 1/2 months, so we didn't do any bite inhibition or chew training. She doesn't bite or mouth us under normal circumstances, and she's never chewed anything but her toys.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Kabota is 3 and I only got him 4 months ago. He had some serious shark mouth on him at first. (He would snap for treats and grab half your hand at the same time.) I did the squeal and turn away thing and it only took a couple of weeks for him to learn to be careful with his teeth. I'd give it a try.

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
Yes, the same bite inhibition training should work for a young adult dog. I was successful using it on my ~18 month old foster dog who came to me very very nippy/snappy.

To get a lot of training at one time, try feeding her dinner (dry dog food) piece by piece. If her teeth touch skin, yelp and put the hand with the food behind your back for a few seconds. Then go back to feeding bit by bit and she should quickly catch on that teeth=no food/no fun and start taking the food nicely with her lips or tongue rather than teeth.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Amaryllis & Shell - Thanks for the advice!

Yes, the same bite inhibition training should work for a young adult dog. I was successful using it on my ~18 month old foster dog who came to me very very nippy/snappy.

To get a lot of training at one time, try feeding her dinner (dry dog food) piece by piece. If her teeth touch skin, yelp and put the hand with the food behind your back for a few seconds. Then go back to feeding bit by bit and she should quickly catch on that teeth=no food/no fun and start taking the food nicely with her lips or tongue rather than teeth.
Great idea! She sometimes does get her teeth too close to my fingers when I feed her by hand, but I always assumed it was the way I was holding the food. She really is a good dog, but needs some help with impulse control. I've recently started "doggy zen" and NILF.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
I don't want to argue with my own advice, but sometimes an adult dog doesn't respond well to the Yelp. If you find that to be true, simply try using Ouch or Oops. I personally like the yelp, b/c it still works with my 11 yo dog, and it is a unique sound, when needed.

On the other hand.... it is always very important to teach your dog Bite Inhibition, even if he didn't bite as a puppy, b/c as he gets older and cranky, he may have more reason to bite due to arthritis pain, etc. If he's learned Bite Inhibition, the chance of him breaking the skin goes down significantly. ... And, you may need to tune up the inhibition about every 6 mos or so.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't want to argue with my own advice, but sometimes an adult dog doesn't respond well to the Yelp. If you find that to be true, simply try using Ouch or Oops. I personally like the yelp, b/c it still works with my 11 yo dog, and it is a unique sound, when needed.

On the other hand.... it is always very important to teach your dog Bite Inhibition, even if he didn't bite as a puppy, b/c as he gets older and cranky, he may have more reason to bite due to arthritis pain, etc. If he's learned Bite Inhibition, the chance of him breaking the skin goes down significantly. ... And, you may need to tune up the inhibition about every 6 mos or so.
Thanks. We tried last night with part of her dinner; she responded to my yelps and ouches by play bowing and barking. I may have been a little too dramatic. We ended on a good note, but we'll do more work tonight. I suspect she was taught bite inhibition before we got her, but good advice about continuing to practice. It's not something to ignore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts