Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone. I just returned from college and am staying here with the folks until I have enough saved for an apartment. Anyway, I have two miniature schnauzers I am writing about. One is male, about 12 years or so old at this point, and the other is female, about 9 years. The male is not fixed because we originally intended to breed him, but never got around to it. Wasn't really my call...

My female is fixed, though. I raised both of them since they were puppies; while mom bought the food and paid the veterinary bills, I did the training and upkeep of them, so they tend to be very close to me. However, recently, the male has been acting almost in pain (since about five months ago). He has been shivering for no reason at times for long periods of time, shaking the entire bed at night. He also does this thing where he licks his chops for sometimes ten or fifteen minutes at a time, or focuses on his paws. At times, he'll just sit up in bed for like twenty minutes and either stare at me or at the female, but nothing I offer seems to go anywhere (food, bathroom, even walks sometimes). Also, when I pick him up to help him onto the bed, he sometimes shivers more and whines under his breath. He also tends to go into fits of shivering and occasional licking when he notices me giving the female attention.

My female is fine and dandy healthwise, but she is becoming a bit aggressive towards the male. At least once a night for a couple of weeks, she has went after the male, snarling and biting, even though he does nothing to cause it. Literally, sometimes he's just sleeping and she pounces. She's never exactly been a darling daisy to anyone but me or my sister really (forget other dogs), but she seems almost like she's becoming weary of the older dog all of a sudden, even though he's passive and gentle.

I try to separate them when this happens, putting one on either side of me for the night, or giving them both attention in turns. However, this doesn't really seem to help beyond making everyone quiet. Sometimes the female glares at the male afterwards for a while.

What to do, what to do. My parents are gone a lot, so it leaves me to find solutions to these things. I don't mind, but I am a bit of an insomniac, and missing even an hour of sleep a night due to the noise/disturbances my dogs make can make me spiral into an episode that ruins the next day. Thanks for the help...

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
The male needs to see the vet. Soon. 5 months of (probable) pain? Poor guy. He should have a full blood panel and a complete checkup, and go from there.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
This dog could be having seizures. Vet now!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
This dog could be having seizures. Vet now!
Ditto! ... Also Schnauzers according to a vet of mine are notorious for having pancreatitis ... not saying that is what it is ...

But IMO ... The dog clearly needs a vet asap.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Get both to a vet. Male and female both need blood workups, but make sure the female has a thyroid T-4 test. Low thyroid can cause aggression.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts