Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shadow is my 9 1/2 year old Aussie. She lives with my parents about 6 hours away.

Anyway, I don't always see her, so I'm not quite sure what's going on with her.

She was running around in the yard and came in and I noticed that she had A LOT of drool on her chin and it took her a long time to "settle down" inside (she was panting a lot).

Anyway, my dad says she seems to be breathing a little more heavily at times when she should be more settled.

I don't know much about the situation to be honest.

Does it sound like Xrays are a good idea? Maybe repeat the bloodwork done a couple of months back?
The first thing that jumped to my mind was a heart condition.

Opinions anyone?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have an appointment today. We were just in a couple of months back and everything checked out great. I'm hoping I go in and they tell me we have been imagining things (although, I know this is not the case).

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am so relieved to know she doesn't have any early signs of heart failure. Everything checked out wonderfully, except the vet found she has some major arthritis in one of her hips. I've never seen th is dog cry in pain in her life until her extended her hip out. The labored breathing is her sign of distress and response to the pain.

Getting old sucks.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I am happy to hear that everything major checked out well. Arthritis sucks big time, but it happens to everyone. Did they give you anything to manage her pain?

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
I believe that pain meds, fish oil, glucosamine/chondroitin, cooler weather, and maybe some walking in the pool may help. They Vet should have lots of ideas that will fit your lifestyle.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We are starting glucosamine, fish oil, and anti inflammatory pain meds.
In a couple of months when she comes to live with us she will start adequan injections as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts