Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 yr old dog has decided to claim the house as hers and guard it from the 4 mo puppy. Outside they get along great, but in the house if the puppy so much as walks across the room, she gets lunged at. Any ideas on what I can do to correct this behavior? The dog has never been aggressive to humans.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How do you usually correct the older dog if she misbehaves?
The dog certainly has taken on the job of resource guading the house because she can and there is no clear understanding that you control all resources.....that includes the house.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So how do I create that understanding? She doesn't guard anything from humans or show any aggression towards us. I have also been away for three weeks during which time the dogs haven't been properly disciplined or had a proper pack leader, so I was expecting problems when I got back.

Right now we've just been interrupting the 'lunge' (or even sooner if we detect her getting 'weird') and making her lie down on her side until she calms down. I'm not sure what else to do other than repeating this consistently. My husband can usually control her very well but if the 'lunge' actually happens, she is fixated and so he has to physically restrain her for maybe 5 - 10 seconds and then she submits to him and will stay there on her own even if the puppy walks right by her. Often she will put her ears back and lick in a submissive way to him after she calms down.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You're on the right track. You have to intercept every time making sure that you get between her and the puppy. Here's the really important step...she must back-up/back away from the puppy....just a half step is fine.....that says she got the message to leave the pup alone.

There is no need for submission tactics and they can backfire very easily ie; every time the pup comes in the room she knows she will get 'punished' so, tries harder to keep the pup out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts