Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone, i have two dogs Millie who is 7 and Charley who is 9 months.
Millie had been in heat for around a week and Charley was scheduled to go today to stay at my sister's house until Millie's season was over. (waiting for an appointment at the vet to get him neutered).
but today, my niece opened the stairgate that was keeping the two apart, and long story short they managed to 'knot'.
we didn't realise they had been released and were just collecting Charley's things to send him to my sister's, so please i do not want a lecture i have cried enough today as it is!
really, my question is how likely is millie likely to survive this, if she is infact pregnant? i've been reading online and it doesn't look good. as they are both pets, we have no idea about breeding.
Millie is a white terrier cross, and Charley is a blenheim Cavalier King Charles, so they are around the same size.
i understand this post makes me come accross stupid and irresponsible, and i know there are too many puppies in the world already. my dogs mean the world to me and i want her to be safe.
any advice or stories? but no lectures, thankyou. i understand i have made a mistake here.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Personally I would get her spayed now. She is a mix, and I highly doubt you know her genetic health background, and CKCS have their own serious genetic health issues, so spaying would be your best option.

·
Super Moderator
11,842 Posts
You could talk to your vet about an emergency spay and avoid a lot of worry now and in the future.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Get a vet to do an emergency spay now. Don't wait. The longer you wait the more complications you can have. I wouldn't let her carry to term due to her age and also that so many puppies are put down due to not enough homes, you don't need to add to that.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Another vote for an emergency spay. All the reasons have been given and, honestly, if the dog was mine I'd have set the appointment up already.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Agreed, emergency spay! Probably safest for your female.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I would probably go for the emergency spay, but I don't believe males can impregnate females until at least one year of age. They don't really have any sperm built up yet so I wouldn't be super worried. I commend you for trying to keep them separate and I'm glad you were responsible. Oops litters happen to even responsible breeders sometimes.

And if they offer that after breeding shot don't take it. Most don't say it always works.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would probably go for the emergency spay, but I don't believe males can impregnate females until at least one year of age. They don't really have any sperm built up yet so I wouldn't be super worried. I commend you for trying to keep them separate and I'm glad you were responsible. Oops litters happen to even responsible breeders sometimes.

I would spay regardless, but then again I am a huge advocate of spay/neuter regardless of the situation because of the pet overpopulation in this country. Why take the chance that he isnt a year and it may not have happened if it could jeopardize her health? It sounds as if it is in her best intrest.

And if they offer that after breeding shot don't take it. Most don't say it always works.
do they really have like a PlanB for dogs?!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm saying that because they won't always spay when a bitch is pregnant or in heat because it can increase chances of bleeding out or something going wrong. When they're in heat all the reproductive organs inflame and increase in size.

And yes they really do haha

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I'm saying that because they won't always spay when a bitch is pregnant or in heat because it can increase chances of bleeding out or something going wrong. When they're in heat all the reproductive organs inflame and increase in size.
Being pregnant and giving birth increase the chances of bleeding out or something going wrong, too.

Spay her.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts

Umn, yes they can. Especially small breeds tend to be sexually mature way before a year. Agree on the mismate shot - it only works if given right after the mating, and increases the dog's risk of pyometra, since it throws the dog back into estrus and leaves the uterus open longer than normal. Quite honestly, if I had a 7 year old female that I wasn't intending to breed, I would be thinking about spaying anyway since pyo is a high risk for older intact females.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Oops, yeah I didn't think about it being a smaller breed. I'm used to Boxers where some bitches won't even come into heat until way after a year. It is definitely a possibility then, thanks for saying that.

I would definitely go for the emergency spay if they will do it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts