Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Older Dog Is Overprotective of Younger Dog

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  bejhan 
#1 · (Edited)
I have two dogs:
  • Blaze: 3 year old Labrador retriever x Australian shepherd
  • Chevy: 10 month old rottweiler x German shepherd

Prior to getting the Chevy, Blaze was very friendly to other dogs at the dog park.
However, since getting Chevy, Blaze is very aggressive towards dogs that come near / touch Chevy.
I'm constantly having to grab Blaze and hold on to him until the other dog is gone.
The situation is often exacerbated as Chevy comes to Blaze's rescue, resulting in making it 2-on-1.

What can I do to curb Blaze's aggressive behavior?

#5 ·
Please stop taking them both to the dog park. Dogs like yours ruin it for people with friendly dogs. Not to say they are bad dogs, but that kind of behavior is just not tolerable or appropriate for a dog park, and the park is not a place to train. You could try to set up a similar situation with dogs that you know (think friends/family) and treat it like a resource guarding issue but unless it's something super important that absolutely needs to be managed I'm not sure I would do anything except for take them to the park separately.

#7 ·
Is Blaze fine when he's by himself .. or have you tried that? The reason I ask is he is maturing and he may not like all dogs anymore period. I know that my dog is less tolerant of some dogs now (he turned 3 in April).

#8 ·
I actually haven't taken Blaze to the park by himself yet, I will try this weekend and report back.
That is an interesting thought though, it hadn't occurred to me that this behavior may be unrelated to Chevy.

Thanks for an actually useful answer, I didn't need all of the preaching that was going on previously.
Obviously I know this is a huge problem or I wouldn't have posted here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.