Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. I apologize if these are addressed somewhere (I'm sure they are) but my family and I are having some issues with our dogs that we would love some tips or instructions on.

Lets start with the new dog, he is a 14 week old Old English Bulldog, Jersey. Really he's doing pretty well except constantly peeing everywhere. The only issue besides that is how horrible he is in the kennel. Generally when the family goes somewhere we come home to a huge mess of poo that he rolled around in inside his kennel. I'm sure I can research fixes for this in the morning but any insight would be appreciated :)

The real problem we're having is our 1y4m old French Bulldog, Hugo. Until our puppy arrived he was poddy trained as well as trained not to jump up on people. Since Jersey arriving he has reverted back to going to the bathroom inside and when people walk into the door he jumps up and nips at them. Today I walked in and he bit my hand fairly hard when he jumped in to greet me. This is mostly a problem because of our children.

So addressing the biting issue first, I'm pretty sure this happens because the dogs play rough daily. Probably 2-3 hours of the day they spend rumbling with eachother. Am I right to assume this is what Hugo is doing to people because before Jersey he never rough-housed with a dog until now?

Secondly the poddy training issue. He knows when he's done something wrong and will run and get scared if we try to pick him up. So how do I address this issue more than just telling him he's bad? Is he doing this because he sees the puppy doing it?

Any ideas or insight about how to fix these problems would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
152 Posts
how big is your kennel? If it is fairly large then you may have more trouble keeping your pup from pottying in it. My pups kennel is just large enouph for him to lay down comfortably. He has never had this problem, but I've heard that a larger kennel could be the problem. Try making them both go out every hour or so while you are home. This will also cut down on the house messing and praise them when they potty outside. When mine would have an accident in the house we would only get onto him if he was caught in the act. I would just let out a loud "at at!" sound and walked towards him untill he headed for the door. Then I would let him out and like I said praise him after he did his buisness out there. This worked very well for us. As for the jumping up and nipping. I have an outside dog that likes to jump on me too. I've been working with him on this issue. When I open the door and he walks towards me I will tell him to sit. After he stays there for a minute and appears to have calmed down then I will pet him. If he jumps, I make the loud "at at" sound and turn away from him. It takes alot of practice, but it seems to be working. I hope this helps, it's just my personal experiance, but every dog is different. Good luck with your doggies!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts