Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, so I don’t confuse anyone, I’m talking about the Olde English Bulldogge not the English Bulldog, a breed started in the 70s to try and recreate what the breed was like in the 1700/1800s. I’ll admit, I was never a big fan of bulldog-type breeds until we got a Frenchie, and they’ve since grown on me. I hate what they’ve done to the English Bulldog over the years, as well as Frenchies. Ours suffers from the typical health issues and I was looking for a healthier breed. I’m hoping with the OEB I’ve found it. Though I’m sure they still have some health issues.

Does anyone currently own one or have any experience with them? I’ve read they’re supposed to be more athletic, but how much more athletic are they? Would I be able to easily go for walks with them weather permitting? What are the temperaments typically like? What’s their trainability usually? And how are they with strangers?

I’m not looking to get a dog for a while, I just like being prepared for when I finally make my decision.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I've worked with a few dogs that owners have claimed to be Olde English, and some bulldogs who look to be that type. They struck me as very strong and pretty hyper in class. Like, trying their hardest to pull away from the owners and play with the other dogs. Zooming around when outside. Lots of owners with sore arms :D Other adjectives that came to my mind: goofy, exuberant, clownish. All the ones I've met have been overly excited to interact with people and dogs.

However, I still wouldn't exercise them too much, especially in heat. To me they seemed like they were ON, or they were done. I wouldn't worry about daily walks with these dogs, or moderate hikes in agreeable weather. But it really depends on what you are looking for. When I looked for athleticism and stamina, I looked for a dog who I didn't need to think about limitations for, regardless of how many hours, or miles, or what the terrain. And although I wouldn't say this breed is lazy or low energy, I certainly would have to think about their physical limitations for an active lifestyle. But that's just my perspective.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve grown to love a clownish, goofy dog (our Frenchie) whereas before I was drawn to the more serious breeds. Honestly I’m not worried too much about training, and I’d also be going to obedience classes.

Yeah I’m not really looking to exercise them much in the heat, I can barely stand it myself half the time. I guess in bulldog terms the OEB’s “athleticism” is what I’d be looking for in a possible next dog. Right now with school and in the near future with my career, I wouldn’t have the time to dedicate to exercising a dog for several hours a day. It just wouldn’t be fair to them. It seems like with OEBs I’d be able to do the casual walk and occasional hike in good conditions, and them also be content to hang out in the house too

·
Registered
935 Posts
The English Bulldog went extinct between the mid 1820's and early 1840's

The OEB was a attempted recreation of the breed, though shorter and more bronchial than the original.
Personally I would look for a line that has been bred for less of this issue, be careful as others have said of high heat and extreme cold with them.
Look at the parents and look for a pairing of active parents and solid temper, seen some with some very sketchy tempers and yes there very surprising with just how strong they are.

Best wishes in your search there generally great dogs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an OEB that I did the DNA on and found him to be 75% akc type English bulldog and 25% American bulldog. This is not the mix they were trying to create. He is healthy, no genetic issues, no health issues common to bulldogs. He a spaz. The highest energy bully breed dog I have had in my home. Hardest to train in the house in regards to no humping and not attacking other dogs to play. It's challenging. He's also so sweet and loving and just adorable. And very smart. Very stubborn. Not for the novice or lazy dog owner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts