Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned dogs for 30 years and this is the first time I've dealt with this issue. Our dog is older and she's been eliminating in the house enough times that it's a bit of a problem. We're dealing with it and will continue to do so until she passes.

One thing that concerns me is when we do get a new dog, what are the chances that the new dog may think it is okay to eliminate in the house too? Since I've never had a dog do this (outside of illness) I'm not sure what to expect down the line.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Great question, interested as well. My guess it will initiate a marking behavior in the new dog. I am interested to know if a professional carpet cleaning is enough to remove any urine, feces and vomit scents, or if in the situation Lindy asked about requires new carpet?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Our older dog had incontinence problems too in its old age. We cleaned any spots with Natures Miracle. Never had a problem when we got a new puppy, of course she had to be potty trained first but once she was she never thought going in the house was an option, nor did any of our dogs/puppies thereafter.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I think it really depends. If you work hard to potty train your new dog, I don't think it will be that big of an issue. Your training should outweigh the urine in the house.

An adult dog just coming in would be fairly likely to urinate over the previous urine spots, so you'd probably have to take potty training back to stage one even if the dog was previously ok.

So basically, I would expect to do potty training 101 with any new dog coming in, even if it was an older dog who had previously been reasonably potty trained.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Our last house was bought from a family that let their dogs eliminate all over the inside of the house. Both dogs at the time, Clyde as a puppy, and our old chihuahua peed inside a couple of times where the previous dogs' pee had not been cleaned. Potty training returned, though, once we finished stripping the carpet out and cleaning all hard surfaces. It still smelled like urine for a while but the dogs still managed to get it with the reduced odor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts