Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heidi was born April 1st, 2004 and we got her from a neighbor who lived right down the street from us - we lived at the dead-end they lived right at well, the front. The woman had an accidental litter of Chihuahuas mixed with Dachshund puppies. She decided to tag some with a re-homing fee (something like 100 - 150, it wasn't big) but I believe we got ours, Heidi for free. Heidi had a sorta confusing first few years. She would transition from home to home and that was hard on her I believe. It wasn't fair on her. I now know what we did wrong, and I'm highly embarrassed for it!

Heidi first went to my grandparents, and they then realized how hard a puppy was on them so they gave her to us. When Heidi came over to our house - my real only memory was that she'd pee and poo and soil my video games a lot and electronically toys, she even chewed up a Hey You! Pikachu! Microphone that I had and we couldn't have gotten another one and I was extremely sad because that was not selling anymore so there was no way to get a new one.

Heidi was - what we thought - just a bad dog. But looking back on it now, I realize she's just a dog who probably never got to the right home. When we got our other dog Jazzy and she had puppies (Bryan and George etc) as Jazzy was another female, Heidi would fight, and we also saw another side of Heidi we were amazed at - the parental side of Heidi - she would always go to those puppies like they were her own and she would treat them like she was gonna raise them. I think the whole experience though was stressful on her, so we gave her back to my grandparents now that she's older she's calmed down a bit and they can handle her. They also now have a dog named Andy - a pug mix who they adopted from the shelter.

Andy though sadly was put down due to a back problem he had, I forget what it was called but I think it was an inbred problem. Eventually Heidi and Copper were put together and they started fighting just about three-four months ago. I'm worried also for Heidi's weight and whatnot, as she's 19 pounds, as we just weighed her last week.

She pees and poos on the carpet still and she barks a lot. Dad doesn't like this about her and that's why she can't come back to our house yet. I want to though, train this out of her, but since she's so old I don't know if I can! She's also a really stubborn dog/breed. Even though I understand Heidi and the times she gets frustrated, I do believe she's a manipulator and she likes to get her way, she's a spoiled bitchy princess and she doesn't want to even get her paws wet - not kidding.

Also, mind hearing my other theory? Copper is like this old dog, who hes great, he's almost 16, but he's a great old dog. He always acts like a dumb dumb though, and I believe that stresses Heidi out, like, whenever I see kids at my school doing certain things and I feel its 'stupid' or 'abnormal' I get stressed and I want to yell at them or walk out of the room. Heidi might have the same feeling about Copper, so she bites him, because dogs can't learn to ignore those behaviors - how to ignore an annoying dog/person. You kinda understand what I mean? I'm 16 and I have aspergers syndrome so I don't know how that's useful to you, but I kinda look at things in a deeper perspective I guess? Loud noises bother me, some bright lights bother me and crowded areas and lots of people get on my nerves. Sometimes I feel Heidi and I are similar and no one understands her... what do you all think? And is there a way to train out her behaviors even if she's so old?

EDIT - But even though I said 'sometimes no one understands me," I've matured a lot and sometimes dogs cant control their behavior like humans, is what I meant to say. My behavior has gotten a lot better and I can ignore things a lot more now better than others sometimes in my school, and sometimes I feel Heidi is like me though since she's a dog she can't really control it and she just lunges and bites...

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
I don't have Asperger's syndrome to the level that you do, but many things get on my nerves and are distracting :)

I think you CAN teach her ... she reacts that way, b/c she can get away with it, and b/c no one has showed her other ways to behave. If you have the patience, the support of everyone else, and the technique ... then you can train her.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I think you CAN teach her ... she reacts that way, b/c she can get away with it, and b/c no one has showed her other ways to behave. If you have the patience, the support of everyone else, and the technique ... then you can train her.
I completely agree with hanksomon...and the patience and support will be very important to your efforts. It might be hard to get, but if you can I think you can manage!

I'm 16 and I have aspergers syndrome so I don't know how that's useful to you, but I kinda look at things in a deeper perspective I guess? Loud noises bother me, some bright lights bother me and crowded areas and lots of people get on my nerves. Sometimes I feel Heidi and I are similar and no one understands her... what do you all think?
I find this very interesting. One of the coolest dog related (well....sort of) books that I've read is "Animals In Translation" by Temple Grandin. If you haven't looked into her or heard of her you might find her interesting. She is autistic (and if I understand correctly aspergers is considered on the mild end of the autism spectrum), she is a doctor of animal science, and she talks in that particular book about how her autism gave her insight into some of her work with animals. I recommend looking into the book, I found it a good read and though it doesn't help directly with training, it is some cool insight and who knows, you might find it interesting personally as well. There is a movie too, but I haven't seen it so I can't vouch for it having any of the cool stuff from the book.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes yes yes! I have looked into Ms. Grandin's works and I would love to meet her one day, she's a total inspiration to me, and yes, Aspergers is on the same spectrum as Autism. Actually funny you mentioned Autism as I was just dubbed-diagnosed to the Autism Spectrum a few weeks ago by my school's IEP meeting. I don't have Autism, but I do have a higher form of Aspergers and mom says I display a lot of the signs that a regular Asperger's kid would, like standing too close to someone, bright lights or loud noises bother me.

Do you think this is something strange? Today I was in the pet shoppe. It was an exotic bird store where they hand-raise their birds and they have from Cockateils to African Grey's, and they also had hand-raised Parrolett's and I found the Parrolett more comfortable to handle because he wasn't as big and heavy as the Cockateil, and he didn't look as intimating with his smaller beak because IF he did bite me, he looked like he wasn't going to bite as painfully. For the first time in my life - I actually felt really calm around a bird. And, I was soothed down from the other birds in the room which were squawking a lot and flapping their wings, and even this bird fluttered but he landed on my shoulder and I thought he was adorable! I was so calm! So I'm one day considering getting a Parrolett but I don't have time to get any other animal right now. What do you think about this? Do you think its interesting?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts