Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an old GSP a month shy of making 16 years. For 15 1/2 of those she never peed nor pooped in the house. Not once! Now she routinely poops in her bed, when riding in the car, and sometimes when left alone in the house. Her hips are getting pretty bad and it obviously pains her to bunk over to poop. Sometimes she just does it while she's walking. Sometimes she'll be out for several minutes and when you let her in she'll dump on the floor as soon as she comes back inside.

I guess my question for the forum here is if anyone has experience with this and how much is physical versus mental with the dog. I've read that older dogs sometimes lose their inhibitions/house training. But when she poops her bed she always acts sheepish like she's done something wrong. So we're afraid she's just losing it physically. It is very tough to handle emotionally not the mention the practical aspects of the situation.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Many time their sphincter muscle becomes lax and poop will "fall Out" especially with exertion, like getting up. Sometimes arthritis can make "assuming the position" painful so they don't go until they are full, and it "falls out". Is the dog on any pain meds like Rimadyl/Previcox? That can sometimes help. (Don't give people pain meds...you probably wouldn't but wanted to make sure. Some people don't know they can be toxic to dogs/cats).

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
It's hard to watch a dog get old, I know. I doubt it's loss of inhibition, loss of inhibition would be senility and you'd be seeing other signs, too. I think in your dog's case, it just hurts so much to go, she doesn't go until she absolutely can't hold it anymore. I would talk to your vet about pain management.

·
Banned
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. She is on Rimadyl and has been for a couple of years. She definately poops with any exertion. I think these replies are right on track. No other signs of mental issues. It's just life at this point I guess.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts