Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 14 1/2 year old Lhasa Apso has started crying when in the car. She has never been a big car fan but sits in her safety harness in a padded seat and usually is fine. Recently I left her in the car to run into a shop and when I came out she had wet the seat- something that has never happened before. A few days later I did the same on the way home and she pooped in her seat and was upset and embarassed. She then was home for 2 weeks before getting back in the car and in a new seat. She now starts to cry and jump around after about a kilometer from home and makes the trip unbearable. Any ideas? I have tried ignoring, patting her, telling her stop, clapping but it is not working. I think she is getting a bit dipsy but driving me there too!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Aw. The poor girl. She's quite old, isn't she? I'm sad she's struggling.

I think I might stop taking her (and especially leaving her alone) in the car until you can get to the bottom of it. Maybe she just needs retraining that the care is a fun/postitive place?

Or maybe she's developed motion sickness in her old age?

Just wanted to note, in several areas in California, you can't leave dogs alone on the car for the dogs' safety.

My 14 1/2 year old Lhasa Apso has started crying when in the car. She has never been a big car fan but sits in her safety harness in a padded seat and usually is fine. Recently I left her in the car to run into a shop and when I came out she had wet the seat- something that has never happened before. A few days later I did the same on the way home and she pooped in her seat and was upset and embarassed. She then was home for 2 weeks before getting back in the car and in a new seat. She now starts to cry and jump around after about a kilometer from home and makes the trip unbearable. Any ideas? I have tried ignoring, patting her, telling her stop, clapping but it is not working. I think she is getting a bit dipsy but driving me there too!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
At 14 she may have physical issues that cause discomfort in a car. Movement of a car can be painful if arthritic. It can be scary if they are starting to have sight or hearing problems. Older dogs can have vestibular issues that can make balancing more stressful. Leave her at home. There is no need to stress her out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes you may be right she is having both sight and eharing problems. She usually goes to my aging parents on week days sot hat she is not alone while I am at work and likes to eat early as they have trained her for early dinners. If she keeps crying she will have to stay home and get used to late dinner times as I hate seeing her stressed . She also cries now at bath time. She does have arthritis

Thanks yes I would never leave her in the car in summer or for more than a few minutes- I was getting her dog food!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Can you talk to your vet about anti imflammatories/pain relievers for the arthritis? Something like Previcox, Metacam, etc. Also give her a Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM supplement daily (you can get people ones, and give her that).
If you haven't had a vet check done in the last yr including a full geriatric blood workup, you might consider doing so. Some NSAIDs can be hard on their liver, so you would want to make sure everything is functioning normally first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts