Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 14 1/2 year old Lhasa Apso has started crying when in the car. She has never been a big car fan but sits in her safety harness in a padded seat and usually is fine. Recently I left her in the car to run into a shop and when I came out she had wet the seat- something that has never happened before. A few days later I did the same on the way home and she pooped in her seat and was upset and embarassed. She then was home for 2 weeks before getting back in the car and in a new seat. She now starts to cry and jump around after about a kilometer from home and makes the trip unbearable. Any ideas? I have tried ignoring, patting her, telling her stop, clapping but it is not working. I think she is getting a bit dipsy but driving me there too!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Any sudden changes in behavior especially in an older dog warrants a trip to the vet. Could be onset of thyroid or other problems which often manifest with age. At the least I would go in and get a senior blood panel done and maybe t-4 to make sure of her internal health. Any changes in coat or skin?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks she absolutely hates the vet- her skin and coat are OK - she basically eats and sleeps, runs outside for a bark and eats and sleeps some more. I think she thinks every time she wakes up it is a new day and breakfast time!

·
Banned
96 Posts
I would definitely get her to a vet but if as is well physically I would just not take her in the car...?

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
It doesn't matter if she dislikes the vet, it sounds like she needs a check up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts