Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm new here, and I know there are other threads similar to this, but my situation is a bit different from others I've seen - sorry if this is just a repeat of a question asked over and over!

For about a year and a half my husband and I have had a wonderful little yorkie named Jack. He is the absolute love of our lives. We recently moved to a new city and a few days after the move we were walking around getting to know our new surroundings and happened upon a rescue shelter. We had been wanting to get Jack a playmate for quite a while - he has tons of energy and always wants to play and was wearing us out! There was a daschund puppy named Lorelei who was about 6 months old that we fell in love with and we brought her home for a test run and they seemed to get along fine! Ok, I know, mistake #1 - Jack hadn't had time to feel ownership of our new place and we turned his world upside down all at once. It seems so obvious now, but I didn't think of it then. He's the most easy-going, laid back dog I've ever known and he gets along great with other dogs, so I didn't even think about there being an issue.

They got along well at first but then after a day or so he seemed to be thinking, "Ok, so when does she go home and everything go back to normal?" He ate and drank normally, but Lorelei has scads of energy and was so excited to have attention and food and love (she was found on the streets dying from parvo, poor thing) that she was making him feel left out. We knew to place priority on Jack, so we made sure to lavish him with attention, feed him first, give him first pick of toys, etc., but he seemed listless, and Lorelei is dominate and a big attention hog. Our sweet puppy's laid-back-ness translated into him letting her walk all over him. She'd take his toys; we'd discipline her and give them back to him, but he'd just look at us and skulk away.

But! After about a week or so they started playing and wrestling and chasing each other around the house. We were so excited - Jack would finally have his playmate he needed! There were still dominance issues w/ Lorelei - getting in Jack's bed, taking Jack's toys, but they were definitely getting along and still are. However, Jack's personality has still changed - he's more reserved, doesn't want to play fetch, goes and sleeps under the bed which he never did before - and although they play together, he won't sit, lay or sleep near her, and occasionally they get into scuffles (no full-fledged, we're-out-for-blood-fights, just snarls and little snaps over territory and possessions). He just seems bummed a lot of the time even though they play and seem to enjoy each other then.

Whew, I'm sorry if this is terribly long :redface: Haha I just want my Jack to be ok and be his old self. Any advice? We try playing with them separately and always give Jack priority in everything, and if we ignore Lorelei she's perfectly happy to go play with her toys by herself. I also don't know how much to discipline her or how to go about disciplining her when she oversteps her boundaries w/ Jack's stuff. He's such a sweetie he won't stand up for himself. He's just mopey and I feel guilty that I made two major changes in his life at the same time and want him to be happy.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
My advice is to stop giving Jack priority and treat the dogs equally. They are both your dogs now and it doesn't matter who was there first. You wouldn't give preferential treatment to a first born child and ignore the younger sibling would you?

Don't discipline Lorelai, just redirect her to whatever you want her to be doing. For example, if she lays on Jack's bed, you can call her to you, praise her for coming to you and then direct her to her bed.

However, I personally don't have specific beds for specific dogs, I let them choose where to lay and so long as one doesn't actively push the other out of the bed or "steal" it. Sometimes one wants to lay in the bedroom, maybe the other prefers the living room dog bed. Sometimes the opposite. Same with toys; no one steals toys from the other dog but if one wants to play with a rope, they can play with the rope etc.

give BOTH of them individual play time and walks and then also play time and walks together. By giving individual attention, you are making the dog feel special and by doing fun things with them together, you are making them feel like the other dog is part of the family too. The times when it is just one dog they can feel relaxed and able to do their own thing like walking at their pace or sniffing where they want to sniff without another dog being pushy.

Like today for me- since it is a weekend, I am going to take one dog to a city park for an hour's walk by himself and then later take the other dog to a big field and wooded area to run around on her own. But night before last, I took both of them for a long walk at the fairgrounds. Sometimes they get a short neighborhood walk together and then each gets time for fetch in the yard alone. You get the idea.

My dog mopes sometimes when I bring a new dog into the house (I foster) but he gets over it in a week or two.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts