Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog has a few old bones that she's never really managed to eat. Right now she doesn't seem to treat it as food and mostly seems to play with it and toss it around. Occasionally she'll have a chew if she's in the mood.

Created this thread to check if it's ok to let her keep having it even though it doesn't seem like she values it much. We wash it before giving it to her, but I'm wondering if it's a bit too unhygienic.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Are this raw bones with the soft stuff stripped off? If so get rid of them.Right now we have ants in the house going after the merest bit of meaty stuff and they would be all over those bones for sure. Dried or cooked bones are harder on teeth than wet fresh bone so if she did decide to go for a good chew she could damage her teeth as well. I'm sure there are plenty of 'germs' in there as well but dry stuff cannot grow many more so it's likely the level is just about the same as what is on the ground anyway.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Have to agree with Kathyy. An older, dried raw bone is my #1 suspect for what broke our poodle's tooth, even though he's not an aggressive chewer either. The new household rule is anything too big to be fully edible goes right in the trash after most of the meat/marrow/other edible tissue is stripped off and the dog loses interest. Not super worried about the bacterial issue for dried up old bones, personally, but they can be risky in other ways.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, these are raw bones and don't have anything to eat on them really. We tend to keep them in the freezer and wash before giving it to her. Will throw them out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts