Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I had the idea of training my dog to go to the bathroom underneath a pine tree in our backyard. But then I got to thinking, would that cause any harm to the tree? Would too much urine help destroy the tree over a long period of time? Or maybe the feces would cause problems with the tree? It's a very large old pine tree, about 4-5 stories tall

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
It will be fine.

Urine will kill lower foliage on a tree or bush, but it's not going to cause overall plan damage. My dog pees almost exclusively on a juniper bush and some of the lower branches have brown areas, but the bush itself is doing just fine.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Can you get access to the base of the tree ?

If the pine boughs are hanging low to the ground, as most are, it might hamper your ability to remove the feces on a frequent basis and keep the area sanitary.

I'd probably discourage the dog from eliminating there, if it were me.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Dog pee can kill a plant, depending on the concentration. My 2 males killed a bush by using it as a urinal :/. And baby trees would be similarly sensitive. Although a large tree with one dog peeing on/near it all the time would probably be OK most years, but in a drought year you'd have to water it to prevent it from taking up too much urine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I can get access to the base of the tree. We have the branches cut off low so that we can walk under the pine tree.

Would it be ok to train her to eliminate there since we have access to the base of the tree?

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Yes, I can get access to the base of the tree. We have the branches cut off low so that we can walk under the pine tree.

Would it be ok to train her to eliminate there since we have access to the base of the tree?
It will be fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts