Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The doorbell just rang a bit ago. Two kids from down the street, wanted to walk the dogs. Um.... no. They looked at me like I was crazy, then left.

I know some people do let whatever kid walk their dogs, and that's fine, but most of them have smaller dogs. One I know of pulls like crazy and often is dragging a kid on the end of the leash as he goes all over lawns and such with zero control from the kid's part (in one case that dog dragged a kid across the street to the park to see my guys, the kid saying 'NO' the whole time but not able to stop him...).

So yeah mean me. Off to take the dogs for a walk now...

·
Registered
411 Posts
I don't blame you. I wouldn't let just any kid take off with one of my dogs. Heck, my own kids used to get mad at me because I wouldn't let them walk the bigger dogs even if I was with them. All it takes is one strong lunge when they're not paying attention and you've got a kid with scraped up everything because they held on or a missing dog because they let go. Not worth the risk, especially when it's somebody else's kid.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I did that once when I was a kid(I also earned chump change walking dogs). There was a dog down the street that never ever left his yard. So one day I worked up the courage to walk over there and ask if they'd let me walk him. Of course they looked at me like I had three heads. Still, I felt bad for that dog. Rain, snow, heat waves... he endured it all out there alone.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
My friend and I asked to walk every dog in the housing area, LOL. The only ones that turned us down was the Akitas' owner (but she let us play with them in their own yard), and there was one Beagle who was never inside and never walked and had no toys. . .we felt so bad for him and he was the one we wanted to walk the most, but his owners wouldn't let us. I can't say I'd let anybody walk my dogs, though :p.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
You know, in our old city we had neighbor kids (we didn't even know them) knock on the door every day asking if our dogs wanted to be walked. Yeah, they do, and they are by me. It went on for about a week before I said "You do not need to come here again. You cannot walk my dogs today, or ever. They are not good on leash so I like to walk them." Not true, but easier than saying "GTF AWAY KIDS."

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I wouldn't let kids I know let alone strange kids walk my dogs. For one, Charlotte needs specific control with her leash while passing other dogs, and Marlin still has a few pulling issues we're trying to weed out. Still, you have to admire them for being bold enough to ask something like that (giving the kids the benefit of the doubt that they are asking because they like your dog and want to spend innocent time with it as opposed to wanting to run around and cause all kinds of trouble).

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
If they offered so they could make a few bucks, I would applaud their gumption. If they offered because they like dogs and wanted to spend time with ones they thought were nice, that's a compliment and I would take it as such. But I would not turn my dogs over to them for the same reasons everyone else has raised.

If my dog was good with kids (she's ok but not great) and trained for loose leash walking (she is), I might offer to go on the walk with them and teach them how to walk a dog, assuming their parents are ok with it. I like setting up teachable moments related to dogs. Makes me hope that some dog somewhere down the road will benefit from having a better-informed owner.

P.S. and you are in no way mean for protecting your dogs! I used to feel mean when I told people they couldn't pet my dog. But she's hand shy and I don't want to get sued if she spooks and nips someone so it is not going to happen.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I was teaching a dog class at a rec center and an 8 or 9 year old (not part of the class) came into the gym and asked to hold my demo dog while I taught. It tried being very polite and making excuses, but she was having none of it. I let her "hold" him while I conducted class. He held a down-stay as asked for the half-hour involved, mostly blissed out on his back, but even doing that made me uncomfortable and nervous. I would never let a child walk my dog!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I can't now, because I have larger dogs that aren't comfortable around kids, but when I had 2 Cockers that liked kids I would say Ok, we'll all go. And I would walk with them, because the dogs would walk by my side as the kids held the leashes, thinking they were walking them.
Later I had another cocker, Annie, who ADORED little kids...she'd try to pull me over to them when she saw kids playing (we lived in an apt). I'd let her go over and the kids learned her name, and would pat her while she sat there drinking it in. One day, the doorbell rang, and I open the door and there is a little girl about 7 yrs old asking if Annie can come out and play. It was too cute.
I'd never let kids take my dogs anywhere without me, but was more than happy to let them join me, just to encourage love of animals, and treating them kindly.
I can't do that now without risking a lawsuit, lol.

·
Registered
259 Posts
^^^Cute story.

But when it comes down to it, and we all obviously know it, no one knows your dogs better than you do. So it's just those irritating situations when some people, kids or adults, just can't seem to comprehend it. Not all dogs are the same. That's the irritating thing about it, when people, ESPECIALLY ADULTS, just don't get it. But let your dog be the one that jumps at them roughly, bites them in the slightest way, etc etc, and see who gets punished for it more often than not. I feel the OP on the "mean" factor, as turning down some kids can make you feel like a meanie in such situations, but hey, gotta look out for everyone. And at the same time, there's very, very little personal property I would just let some random kids run around the neighborhood with in the hopes that they not only bring it back but that they don't mistreat it in the process.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
"Why, yes, please take my dog off to parts unknown to do god knows what with or to him. Be back by 4!"

Um, no.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
I don't like many people walking my dogs, mainly because I've put a lot of effort into leash manners and I don't want a push over letting them pull them/drag them all over the place. I won't let my 11 y/o neice walk any of them, simply because of the fact that if we're together the dogs are constantly winding her up trying to stay on MY left side as they were taught. It's a PITA so I just walk them myself.
Now, a kid I've never seen in my life waltzing to my front door and asking to walk my dogs? No way. There are a lot of good kids out there, but there are also nasty, horrible kids who do very mean things to animals and I'm not taking the chance.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Oh, gosh, I wouldn't let strange kids near my dog either. Since Coco dislikes children, her barking probably wouldn't appeal to them anyway, but even so... no no no. I'm far too protective about where she goes, the way she gets treated, what she eats, etc., to let anybody I don't thoroughly trust care for her, even for a short period.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
i won't even let my GD walk any of my dogs, 'cept Saoirse....Titch has dog aggression, Tir just flat out wouldn't listen to her and would come home and Kilt has not gone an many walks and is spooky right now (my fault but she's getting better as we work w/ it...)....

Saoirse, i think, is such a ditz that she doesn't care about much....'cept linoleum floors and my hallway (ghosts)

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I wouldnt.

But i remember growing up. Kids came to the door often to play with our family dogs and want to walk them. I was like 4 or 5ish and the kids were like 8 or 9, so didnt have much intrest in me lol. but loved the dogs. My family allowed it.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Well i don't let kids walk my dog on there own, anything could happen, and she would pull them, and she isn't an angel around dogs, espically when she feels trapped, however Holly loves kids, and the neighbours kids often knock asking if she can go play out, and if i say yes i always go with her, and i always hold her leash, sometimes they come on walks, if she is on her big long lead than they can sometimes hold that one, but only when we are on a field, Holly loves it, espcially because they play ball with her.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I would never let a random kid walk either of my dogs. This sounds terrible, but I could care less about the kid getting pulled over and scraped up... I'd be more worried something would happen to one of the dogs. Besides, we use the walk for a lot of training and I have a hard time trusting other people to be as structured as we are.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts