Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had agility class tonight and Marge did the whole "wanna chase wanna chase wanna chase" thing again like she did to the small dog running zoomies. This time it was to her "friend," a JRT. She LOVES this dog. I mean, like absolutely adores him. She had just finished playing with him and he was running his jump, tunnel jump sequence offleash while I was trying to adjust a bar.

Marge went to the end of the leash again, running whichever way he moved, didn't make much noise (maybe just one or two arfs/yips) but there was NO way that this was fear. This was loose Marge, this was "I wanna go get him and play again!!!" Marge. No hackles up, no deep barking or growling like she's done at Rally class or to strange dogs heading towards us. It was a very different reaction. Marge loves to play chase, she saw her buddy darting quickly around the field, and wanted to join in.

I know this kind of reactivity is common among agility dogs when they see another dog working.. I'm just hoping I'm seeing the right thing. I really don't think this is one of her fear reactions, though some people I asked on here really thought it was a fear aggro thing last time. I asked someone who has a dog-reactive dog, and she, too, thought this was more of a drivey thing based on my explanation.

Either way, I guess it's time to get Control Unleashed?

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Yup, CU will work for that, and no, it's not necessarily (or even likely, from your description) fear based.

I would pull her from agility class if you can't keep her from having to watch other dogs run (can you take an exercise pen and a sheet so you can provide a visual barrier, or step outside the building, maybe?)

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Yes, sounds like a prey drive type of reaction. I had this with Mac with one particular small dog in an agility class. It was a small cocker spaniel, the other dogs he didn't pay any attention to...but this one he wanted to GET!

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, CU will work for that, and no, it's not necessarily (or even likely, from your description) fear based.

I would pull her from agility class if you can't keep her from having to watch other dogs run (can you take an exercise pen and a sheet so you can provide a visual barrier, or step outside the building, maybe?)
The problem with keeping her from watching other dogs run is that we're kind of all out on the field together (it's outside) and everyone's doing small sequences in different sections. So having her not watch would, essentially, mean never participating in the class.

When she herself is running, she is 100% in the zone and not worried about anything else going on, even with other dogs in VERY close quarters. That's why I'm REALLY hesitant to pull her from the class.. she loves it, I love it and she's really good at it so far. It seems like it only happens she's she's in the ring with other dogs and isn't focused on anything else.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Can you put her in a covered kennel when she's not working/training? Use the time to work on focus exercises? Play tug with her or something to get her focused on you instead of the run?

Definitely time for CU.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
The reason I say pull her, even if it's just for two months, is that I've seen MUCH faster progress in the folks that take a step back to work on reactivity and put agility on the back burner for a few months. I don't require it from the folks in my CU class- but the folks who do it tend to progress a TON faster. Our two most dramatic dogs from my CU class are both BCs. One pulled from SOME agility and the other did not. The one who pulled from the classes where she couldn't prevent her dog watching and going over threshold is now competing successfully- they finished their first title last Friday night. The other made progress but not NEARLY as much and ended up quitting classes.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're right... it makes sense. I've got two classes left in this session so I'm going to see how they go. Not that she's going to drastically improve in just a couple of weeks, but I want to see how well I can manage her. Maybe she shouldn't be allowed to play with the other dogs before class. Honestly every time she saw this dog yesterday she lost focus and started play bowing/running zoomies. Maybe I had gotten her too hyped up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts