Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
but HOLY COW! Last night my wife and I went to see The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - which was just "OK" in our opinions - and my wife wanted popcorn and a soda.... Now tickets were $10.50 each. But a medium "combo" of soda and popcorn was $12! And it doesn't have to stop there...... you know those shaker seasonings that you buy in the grocery store for about $2 per container? Well they wanted $1.50 to sprinkle that on the popcorn!!!!!

Do the math.... Probably at least 40 servings per container.... so that is $60, and they probably pay about $1 a container, or less..... ay, yi, yi! But we didn't partake in the seasonings ( nor did I eat any popcorn ) I need to find something that I can sell for 60x more than I paid for it.... any ideas? :wink:

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
That's why I like my big screen TV with either Blu Ray player or HDTV player or PPV, Then the wife to do the pop corn thing with a cold Pepsi/Beer. Then add no kids and no sticky floors, seats etc.

Oh yes add the outrageous costs and it's a no-brainer.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I hear you! I have maybe gone to 3 movies in the last 5 years. I will sneak snacks in. The price for the tickets is high enough, I'm not paying 6 dollars for a popcorn! I didn't know you could buy the seasoning! I'm gonna have to go get some, I love that stuff.
Here are the movies I have been to.
Eragon (2006)
Mamma mia (2008)
How to train your dragon (2010)

Sorry, I don't have any ideas for your business. Lol.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I remember the days when my mom and I would spend a Friday night at the dollar show. You had to wait a few months for new movies to come to that theater but it was worth it, IMO. Last I heard, they closed the theater because nobody wants to pay $6 to see a movie that's been out for four months already.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I've heard that concession stand prices are so high because the theaters make very little money off of the actual tickets, especially when the movies first come out. I think they get a greater percentage of the ticket revenue once the movie has been playing for a while but they still depend mostly on concession sales. At least that's the story I was told eons ago when I was a teenager and worked at a movie theater one summer. I never would report people for bringing in outside food even though I was supposed to because I thought prices were outrageous then and they're even worse now.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've heard that concession stand prices are so high because the theaters make very little money off of the actual tickets, especially when the movies first come out. I think they get a greater percentage of the ticket revenue once the movie has been playing for a while but they still depend mostly on concession sales. At least that's the story I was told eons ago when I was a teenager and worked at a movie theater one summer. I never would report people for bringing in outside food even though I was supposed to because I thought prices were outrageous then and they're even worse now.
That IS true. My buddy used to be a manager at a theater, and he would let us in for free but we had to buy food there so that his food sales ratio was better. Now he actually works for George Lucas.... :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
My partner and i took his 7 year old sister to the movies a few weeks ago tickets were 45 dollars and then the snacks which was just a medium drink and popcorn was about 30 dollars. I hadn't been to the movies in years and i was very surprised at how much the prices have gone up.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Boy when I was a teen-age rapscallion we would sneak our beer in, that was back when they actually made pop corn fresh in the theaters. To die for.
I remember that popcorn and that memory has forced me to buy that expensive new popcorn a few times. Each time I was sad to taste the slightly stale taste. It just isn't the same.

Oh my, I just did the famous coffee snort routine. It does appear that those must be the theaters the 1%ers are using.
There is a budget theater here that serves bear, pizza, nachos and other snacks during the movie. I actually kind of like that theater better then the other one because there are little tables in front of you, the seats are roomier and there is a place for your legs where you don't have to have your knees rammed in someone else s back or fight for the back seats to avoid having someones knees rammed in yours. I am not 100% on the actual ticket price but I am fairly sure it is only about $3.00 a seat. That might have been their early show price but maybe a buck more for the prime time shows. The popcorn is equally not good compared to other theaters but it does have good pizza, beer, nachos etc...

My partner and i took his 7 year old sister to the movies a few weeks ago tickets were 45 dollars and then the snacks which was just a medium drink and popcorn was about 30 dollars. I hadn't been to the movies in years and i was very surprised at how much the prices have gone up.
I know, it is sickening, isn't it? I wish I owned the Marcus corporation.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Did anybody else ever go to a theater that had a piano player up front before the start of the movie?
You know I'm just not sure about piano player (may have) but I do remember 15 cent movie fees. This was way back when they also had the Saturday afternoon with the weekly adventure chapter.

I remember that popcorn and that memory has forced me to buy that expensive new popcorn a few times. Each time I was sad to taste the slightly stale taste. It just isn't the same.
If you're outside theater and you are ever there in time to watch them carry the big bags of (garbage) uh-popcorn in you know you're in trouble. I kinda feel sorry for those that have never tasted the good pop corn.

It's just like grocery shopping now, the people in charge have decided that they know what's best for us plain working folk to eat. No salt/sodium, no sugar and pretty soon they will have all the good stuff outlawed. I don't really care who eats fat-free ice cream, I just want to eat the ice cream I want to eat. (fat-full)

·
Super Moderator
11,511 Posts
We rarely go to the theater. And I expect we'll be going even less now that most movies are coming out in 3D. (They give my wife blinding headaches and I'm not too impressed with 3D myself.) We stream from Netflix or, if we rarely want to see a newer release, we rent from the Redbox two blocks from here.

We eat chips and queso and drink too much soda and beer and, consequently, take a lot of intermissions.

(Try asking them to pause the movie at the theater so you can run to the restroom.)

When I was a teen, new release movies were $ .75 in the theaters. The three theaters (plus the drive-in) in the town 7 miles from here had new features every weekend and it was not unusual to see 2-3 movies on a particular weekend. It was a cheap date.

(To put things in perspective, though, I was making $1/hour at at Bill's Mobil Station pumping gas, washing cars and doing tuneups and oil changes.)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Yep we had a 2 dollar movie theater in WA but here in CA I haven't found any. I just can't believe how expensive the 3D movies are, and its like everyone was making them. Me and hubby wont watch them cause of how expensive they are. We still go to the movies because we figure we would spend just as much going other places like the zoo or aquarium which we do often. We are pretty busy people and like to do a lot of stuff but I won't stand for the ridiculousness of 3D movies. For the two of us its like $45....yeah no, I can think of way better things to do with $45!

Me and a friend went to go see The Devil Inside (it was ok, the ending was kinda lame) and I think it costs about $12.50 for a med popcorn and med soda, the ticket price was $11.25 so rounding up to about $24. But me and hubby share the popcorn and soda.

·
Registered
207 Posts
As much as I am for supporting businesses at home.. well, the movie industry is pretty far down on the list, lol. There are a couple small, independent move theaters around town that I will buy food from (ticket price is about $5 though, the theater is far from fancy and the movies aren't blockbusters, lol) but if I'm going to a Ciniplex.. I'm not particularly concerned about their financial welfare.

Wear a fluffy jacket and pack a lunch ;)

·
Registered
539 Posts
I see a movie about once a year... If I feel like I CAN'T wait to buy it... I'll go... or if it's date night. And I always stock my purse full of candy, chocolate, mixed nuts and drinks for us (my family). I never buy popcorn unless I have a gift certificate or something :)

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
When I was a teen, new release movies were $ .75 in the theaters. The three theaters (plus the drive-in) in the town 7 miles from here had new features every weekend and it was not unusual to see 2-3 movies on a particular weekend. It was a cheap date.

(To put things in perspective, though, I was making $1/hour at at Bill's Mobil Station pumping gas, washing cars and doing tuneups and oil changes.)
If we stick with that perspective, what do teenagers working at gas stations make nowadays? Minimum wage? Which is $7-something? So movie tickets should cost $5-ish now, right? :p

I would never go to a movie theater, except that sometimes a group of friends wants to go and I occasionally let myself get suckered into going. I never buy refreshments, though.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
We have a super old, crappy theater in town that has new movies but a limited number. And early tickets are only like $2-3 which is awesome. I hate super nice theaters with cushy seats because the tickets are always insane. A nearby town has a theater with like $8-9 tickets. To me that's crazy.

I usually stock my purse full of candy and food too.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts