Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As if I needed more proof. All of my dogs have never looked better. Their coat texture is perfect, they are all in beautiful physical condition, and they seem more physically comfortable after a raw meal as opposed to a kibble meal. As in their stomachs are no longer bloated all day while they digest.

But I boarded them this weekend so they went back on dog food for a couple of days. And as soon as I got them home today everyone pooped. OMG that stuff stinked.:eek: I knew their poop had been smelling better on raw, but it almost knocked me over today. I guess I was just getting used to my yard actually smelling like grass as opposed to fresh poop.

And to top it all off, Dusk's gas is bad enough that I might be sleeping in the car tonight. Or better yet he might find himself back in a crate instead of in the room with me while he farts.

I can't wait till we get back to their Raw diet tomorrow. Life will be much fresher.:D

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
LoL! You know, since switching DJ to raw this past Feb, I've not had reason to have to feed her kibble & I really never plan on feeding kibble again!

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
I'm glad it's working out well for your dogs :)

If you really want to keep them on RAW when boarding, there are frozen and freeze-dried options that make the diet boarding-compatible to a degree...particularly the freeze-dried versions.

I've been using Nature's Variety frozen patties if I need someone to watch my two...kinda pricey but not bad when it's just for a couple of days.

It's up to you either way lol just wanted to throw out the option!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you really want to keep them on RAW when boarding, there are frozen and freeze-dried options that make the diet boarding-compatible to a degree...particularly the freeze-dried versions.
Yea, I will probably look into freeze-dried the next time I have to board them. I really just don't trust the people at my vet enough to feed anything frozen. I would be to worried they would forget to defrost, or leave the food defrosted for too long a period of time.

And honestly I don't even want to tell them that I am feeding my dogs a RAW diet. I just don't want to deal with the lecture from my vet. He has already lectured me for feeding grainless dog food. Supposedly it has too many fruits and vegetables. Maybe it does, but I would much rather that than a food that was 80% corn.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I keep a couple of bags of Nature's Variety frozen in my freezer too, medallions & pattys. I've not had to board DJ, but it's handy when my daughter has him for a couple nites for me & also when he's traveled with us. It's just something I've been glad I had on hand, for convenience I guess.

·
Registered
966 Posts
And honestly I don't even want to tell them that I am feeding my dogs a RAW diet. I just don't want to deal with the lecture from my vet. He has already lectured me for feeding grainless dog food. Supposedly it has too many fruits and vegetables. Maybe it does, but I would much rather that than a food that was 80% corn.
A couple years ago I went to a vet who sold crappy Science Diet food right out of her office, and tried to tell me that Innova EVO was untested. After two visits I found a new vet.

I think they get inculcated with pro-grocery store brand information at vet school. I've heard that the big companies actually have reps that go in and promote their products under the guise of teaching.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
During vet school the students get as much free food for their pets and livestock as they want. And it is delivered right to their door via UPS. I know for a fact that Purina does it.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I asked my employer previously and we do accept the pre-made frozen raw foods in the hotel. As far as I can tell we do not have an official policy one way or the other, but if you politely explained you wanted them to have this food, and it must be kept frozen, I don't see why it'd be a problem.

We've had customers who want the dogs fed teddy grahams at lunch. Seriously.

Anyway - yes RAW ROCKS! I had the cats eating canned food for a few weeks and the whole HOUSE STUNK! I'm so glad they're all back on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts