Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can i mix normal oil in my dogs food? olive oil maybe? she does not eat her food in the morning. at night she gets fish oil from the vet mixed in because of her mange. can i put a little bit of olive oil over her dry food in the morning?

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
A bit of olive oil, fish oil or vegetable oil is fine and can be good for skin and coat. too much oil though can cause diarrhea so add oil slowly

Instead (since she's got fish oil at night) you could try just a little warm water or no-sodium chicken broth (just put some chicken bits in water and boil, strain the fat and freeze in ice cubes, zap an ice cube in the microwave whenever you want to add some flavor)

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you for the tips.
my dog just does not eat in the morning. today she took 2 bites, went away and laid down :-/ then at noon i mixed in some plain yoghurt. nope. mixed in some chicken. then she ate a little bit. i know its not a good idea to try so hard, but she is too skinny already...and still growing. she eats everything else, like treats or carrots, or whatever i give her. just not her food :-/ i will start mixing in new dry food today, since i want to switch and i want to transition her slowly. i hope she likes the new one more...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Saya loves coconut oil she licks it off my fingers. I use it to help get her eat her joint supplements..

Not sure if coconut oil help, but Saya and Bella loves it.

Introduce it slowly most sites say to give 1tsp per 10lb of dog.. It stays a white solid cool, but turns to liquid when warm.

The grizzly salmon oil supplement I used to use for Saya and Bella was given in am meal and pm meal..

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She likes her new food a little better. I use salmon oil now. Works so far. Will try you suggetion as soon as she stops eating again. Thanks.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shes a rescue, but soing good. She eats everything, but not her food :-/ she is skinny but not unhealthy skinny yet. I hope i can keep her weight and put a little more on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What is her fish oil dosage from the vet at the moment? I'd recommend that you put her on a *therapeutic dose of fish oils to clear up her skin and to get her health where it should be.

Fish oils are better for carnivores than vegetable based oils like olive oil because the Omega 3's are more biologically available for them. Olive oil is Omega 9 and while it can be used if necessary to ease constipation and as a base for essential oil treatments, it's not going to help her skin. Omega 6 is provided adequately in the meat your dog eats. The only thing you need to worry about on a daily basis is Omega 3, as in fish oil.

How much does she weigh?

*A maintenance dose is 100mg DHA+EPA per 10lb of dog and a therapeutic dose is 300mg per 10lb. A typical gelcap contains 300mg DHA+EPA and the typical 100 pound dog would get 1000mg DHA+EPA total, daily.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i got one of those pump bottles, so she gets two pumps a day. i think about 1 teaspoon. her weight is around 40 pounds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts