Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've posted before, we took in Bella, the dumped husky, and only a couple days ago our puppy Maggie died. :( As if this hasn't been an eventful/stressful/heartbreaking month already, Bella decided to destroy my husband's turtle.

We stepped out to enjoy the warm evening. The turtle had gotten out of her tank (probably by crawling up near the new filter and then crawling off the tank.) and by the looks of it Bella annihilated it. My husband was distraught since he's had this turtle for quite a while and rescued her back to health after being hit by a car. Bella knew she did something wrong but honestly it was our fault and not hers, as I've told him many times.

Is it dangerous for her to have done so/should I be concerned for her health? I was the one to clean the living room and it seemed like she ingested no shell, just half of the turtle. :eek:

Oh! And I have no pity on this girl's teeth anymore. She had us making her special dinners/catering to her when in all reality she had the strength to snap a poor turtle's shell in half. She was training us. :doh:

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Sorry about Maggie, and the turtle. Phone the Vet and ask about the various issues. In general, turtle meat is not toxic. However, you could ask about common issues, such as ingesting the organs, shell, skeleton, as well as possibility of salmonella (which may not be an issue for a healthy dog).

And, consider a new puppy in a few weeks, as well as another reptile...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I phoned Dr. Hughes at 8:00 and he told me as long as she seems fine, then not to worry and to call if she has excessive diarrhea or vomits. And he told me not to make her any special meals and to just leave out dry food all hours, that she'll eat when she becomes hungry. He chuckled and said she's not the first husky he's vetted to be so smart/cunning.

As for a puppy we're going to wait for a couple months at least. We only had Maggie to try to give her a better home, we definitely want to do our research to make sure we buy the right breed for our lifestyle and make sure we have enough money set aside to get a puppy from a great breeder.
As for another reptile? My husband's already looking at other turtles...and tops to his tank. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Puppy update: My husband surprised me with an early Christmas present, a Catahoula Leopard puppy who will be coming home to us on the 23rd. My first dog was a Catahoula and I loved her dearly :) I'm excited!

Edit: No puppy. Dumb back yard breeder. Silly husband.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I am sorry to here about Maggie, and the turtle. Congratulations on the new puppy, I hope everything turns out well for you all. :)

·
Registered
948 Posts
To lose a puppy and a long-time pet in the same week is a tragic occurrence, you have my sympathy.

Based on my experience with dogs and a lot of reading (actual books, not wikkipedia), I'm convinced that the behavior you observed and interpreted as "Bella knew she did something wrong" is really just a response to your husband's (and/or your) reaction to finding the poor thing. She wouldn't associate your reaction with something she did more than 10 seconds ago (their brains just don't work like that), but she would immediately know how distressed you were. She has no concept of personal property, or the value of anything...to her it wasn't "his turtle," it was just "a turtle," an interesting distraction.

Congrats on the new catahoula, one of my all-time favorites -- smart, multi-talented, a sheer joy to have around. I guess you know, she'll need plenty of quality one-on-one face time with her humans. I expect she and Bella will quickly become best pals.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that insight. It's amazing how in tune dogs can be. The only thing my husband did was gasp and just stand there. I was worried he was going to yell/cry so I had him leave the room while I picked everything up.

Bella is doing wonderful, happy, starting to come out of her shell a little at a time. She truly is a blessing :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts