Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this part is kind of a rant kind of not, bare with me...

I am so surprised at the amount of people who are (owners) clueless as to the natural behaviour of dogs! Its astounding! Literally in the new puppy season we have had around 6 new young dogs join us and only two of the parents understand dog behaviour.

The normal pack who are there have their own order. My Kelpie happens to be the youngest of these dogs and going thorough his adolescent phase where hes trying to not only move up in the pack but protect the ground and examine new comers. This is becomming a problem, not becuase of his behaviour but becuase of the reactions of the parents when their baby is faced by this dog (Kelpies arent fierce... only to sheep...).

As usual when a young adolescent or even when a naturally dominant alpha of the pack comes across a new dog they will stand over it and growl or sniff or tackle etc to establish their dominance and let the newcomer know where they stand, then once this is done the run around like mad things and have a wonderful time... When my little punk of a kelpie or any of the other dogs begin to display this the new parents go nuts and are fearful for their dogs life, a total and utter over reaction.

What I want to know is, how is a nice way to tell the parents to let it go for a minute until they are running around and having fun? I totally understand that they are just trying to be protective of their precious one but some times dogs are meant to be dogs, they will run away if they want to.

May I also commend the parents of dogs who know what they are doing!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yup dog parks are interesting places!!! My dog is rather vocal and has no problem establishing her self as a dominant female. Mind you she also knows when to turn that off..big intact males usually. Then she flirts with them, especially if they're bigger than her. Pretty funny, considering she's spayed but she's still got 'it' She does scare some people, especailly when she gets their dog to fall over...no touching the other dog but she tells it quickly she's the boss. I keep an eye on her so that she doesn't get in over head with another female.

Funny thing is she never gets in the middle of squabbles, she just watches and will split up dogs that she seems to think are getting out of control...Miss Bayley dog park monitor!! When her 'boyfriend' was coming regularly, after they had their play session, they'd both stand shoulder to shoulder or sit together and watch the goings on. Her friend is a huge king shepherd, and she just loves him and he puts up with her chewing on him, hip checking him etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts