Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, Lloyd and Nash have gotten into 2 fights. The first one I wasn't home for, so I don't know exactly what happened, but I am fairly confident it was over a toy and that Lloyd started it. They both had some minor scrapes from it and Nash had a tiny puncture by one of his ears. They are already mostly healed from that, it was a couple of days ago. That fight ended on its own as Julie didn't want to get into it and get hurt.

The other little scrap just happened about an hour ago. I was here this time, so it ended very quickly and I think they both might think twice about doing it again. It was definitely over a toy this time. I thought I had gotten them all picked up, but apparently I missed one.

Nash had it, Lloyd went after him, Nash dropped the toy and grabbed the back of Lloyd's neck and at that point I was there, grabbed them both and slammed them into the wall. Not exactly protocol for breaking up a dog fight, but it worked; they immediately stopped. I put them in down stays and looked them over. No marks at all, some of Lloyd's scabs from the previous fight came off a bit, but thats it.

Hopefully they will work out their issues non-violently from now on. Toys and bones of course will be kept up and only brought out while I am supervising closely. With no toys around they get along great, and they are fine if they are outside with toys. Inside with toys though and Lloyd is a little brat.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Just did not want your post to slip, because you must be congratualted with your for patients and perseverance with two dog that may fight, and hurt each other, to me that is extreem.

Are these dogs rescues, and came together at different points in there life, or did you have one then got the other as a pup??

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Silly boys... my two girls had some scrapes from quarrelling a couple of months ago, but I'm pretty sure they were arguing over Chippers attention. :rolleyes: now they just bark at each other. :p
Congrats on having control over the situation!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I'd love to have a second dog...

I have a dear friend in Kentucky, who's mother's dog has an "oops" litter and he kept the most adorable male out of the litter and named him Adonis, well- I picked out the name... He's white with light-tan spots... Adorable as can be.

My friend was trying to convince me to come up there for a visit and I mentioned I'd love to take Adonis... I never could... Donatello is very attached to me, he doesn't resource-guard me as much I think it is that he's "attached", if I got another dog and showed that dog the attention I'd show Donatello, he'd be crushed!

I did that to a dog I had when I was kid, I got a bunny rabbit, and after getting that bunny, my dog had nothing to do with me... She stopped sleeping with me, she stopped sitting next to me, she stopped waiting for me to come home from school, and when I'd call her name, she'd literately turn her nose in the air and leave the room.

It crushed me! I would die if Donatello did that me!

I would also be crushed if the dogs never got along... : ( Hopefully this was just a fluke? Do you think so, or do you think their personalities are starting to clash? (I didn't mean to hi-jack your thread here, lol!) ; )

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just did not want your post to slip, because you must be congratualted with your for patients and perseverance with two dog that may fight, and hurt each other, to me that is extreem.

Are these dogs rescues, and came together at different points in there life, or did you have one then got the other as a pup??
Both of these fights were very mild, at least to me anyway. Very minor damage the first time, and none the second. I was actually surprised they had the never to get into it in front of me. Both are rescues (all 3 of my dogs are). Lloyd is about 2 1/2, we have had him for almost 2 years. Nash is about a year to a year and a half and we have had him for about a month. The other dog, Allie (who thankfully stayed out of it) we have had for just over a year and she is about 6. I think they will eventually work it out, if they don't then I will work it out for them, and they will not like it.

Silly boys... my two girls had some scrapes from quarrelling a couple of months ago, but I'm pretty sure they were arguing over Chippers attention. :rolleyes: now they just bark at each other. :p
Congrats on having control over the situation!
They get into arguements sometimes over such stupid things, lol. I work at a dog daycare, so this wasn't a big deal to me, just made me angry, haha. I have had to break up much worse fights with more dogs (there aren't a lot of fights at work, but it happens once in awhile). I just don't have a tolerance now for my dogs doing stupid crap like this at home now! I have to deal with it at work I don't want to deal with my dogs being idiots at home too.

I would also be crushed if the dogs never got along... : ( Hopefully this was just a fluke? Do you think so, or do you think their personalities are starting to clash? (I didn't mean to hi-jack your thread here, lol!) ; )
I don't know if its resolved yet. I think it was mostly due to Lloyd resource guarding. He did this for awhile when we first got Allie too. I also think they are just working out the dynamics between the two of them. They are just getting reminded that I am in charge of everything, so they have no reason to fight. That will go on until they realize that. That means very strict NILIF for the both of them, no free access to anything but water, no playing unless I say they can. Like I said earlier, if they can't work it out, I will do it for them and they will not like it. They either get along and have some freedoms, or fight and have absolutely no freedom, at all.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Patricia McConnell has a good book about living in multi dog households "Feeling Outnumbered?" and also there is a great book about resource guarding by Jean Donaldson called "Mine". Both great resources for issues in homes with more than one dog.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Patricia McConnell has a good book about living in multi dog households "Feeling Outnumbered?" and also there is a great book about resource guarding by Jean Donaldson called "Mine". Both great resources for issues in homes with more than one dog.
I have both of those and many more books.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Sounds like you have everything under control M...better than I would have. Hopefully after Nash is there for a little while longer he and Lloyd will get along. That's what I'm rooting for.

Deej: having more than one dog is really nice. And I don't think Donnie would be any the worse for wear for it. Might make him happy. Mine vie for my attention but they are so different in what they want it's really not an issue. Butch LOVES to be messed with; Roxxy not so much. I just tell her if she let me mess with her more, she would get all the fussing that Butch gets. ;)

You are older now and wouldn't ignore one for the other. You might want to think about another small dog for Donnie.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Sounds like you have everything under control M...better than I would have. Hopefully after Nash is there for a little while longer he and Lloyd will get along. That's what I'm rooting for.

Deej: having more than one dog is really nice. And I don't think Donnie would be any the worse for wear for it. Might make him happy. Mine vie for my attention but they are so different in what they want it's really not an issue. Butch LOVES to be messed with; Roxxy not so much. I just tell her if she let me mess with her more, she would get all the fussing that Butch gets. ;)

You are older now and wouldn't ignore one for the other. You might want to think about another small dog for Donnie.
Thanks for the advice, (not meaning to get off topic here, or hi-jacking the thread...)

Right now there's no room, and no more money for a second dog. If I had my own place... I would "consider" it... Donatello does alright with some dogs, and I just don't find myself to strong enough and tough enough to handle it...

My step-mother has three dogs, and her dogs are all dogs that have grown up with other dogs, and I'm not sure I'm strong mentally to handle the extra responsibility.

·
Registered
434 Posts
This sounds alot like my two older girls. Sydney's almost six now, and Mylee is two. They fight every couple of weeks, the only scrapes we've had were one to Mylee's ears, a little slit in the tip. I have a feeling they fight more of dominance, it started when I got Kali, and our older, male, and very dominant dog died.
I hope Llyod and Nash start getting along better though lol, it's hard to have two dogs who argue. I may try a strict NILIF program, I think it might help in the long run,.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I hope the fighting doesn't continue too, its annoying. I am doing strict NILIF and some counter conditioning and lots of long walks and runs with the 2 of them. A (dog) family that goes hunting together stays together! haha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts