Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the owner of a Siberian Husky I am well versed in having everything - carpet, furniture, clothes, purses, tables, books, computers - covered in hair. I have little tricks for trying to deal - I have lint rollers (an extensive collection), a side-to-side slider with a clear plastic compartment on top to catch the hair, dusters and I am looking for a new vacuum. As the "slider" fills up and then will not pick up anymore hair (and are not supposed to be reusable and cost a couple bucks a pop) I cut a hole with three sides (and left the fourth connected) and covered all of the sides I cut the clear tape so I can empty now. It is my favorite hair collector as I use it as a vacuum (it is wonderful on carpet) until I get one (we are hunting because we only want to buy one and has to be able to deal with husky hair) and on furniture and on blankets and on just about anything else.

With all of the breeds that shed, shed and shed some more - what are your secrets/tricks to picking up/dealing with the hair?

I am always wanting to pick up new tricks to deal with the hair!

·
Registered
647 Posts
I vacuum twice a day and brush Dexter daily. I used to have carpets in most rooms, but I took them away! On the bare floors, the job is easier. The hair just rolls into little balls and it gets easy to pick up. To be honest, the cat annoys me more than the dog, hair wise. He hangs out on the couch and freshly done laundry and on my bed a lot, leaving annoying little stray hairs all over the place.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I like the look of little black and white hairs on me. I use them as fashion accessories.

On a serious note. We just vacuum. I was brushing her once every week or two (depending on my level of lazy) but up until literally last week she wasn't shedding all that much. Now if she's in the car and I get out I might as well be a Husky but it isn't as noticeable in the house.

Within the next anywhere from four months to two years (basically whenever she decides to blow her coat for the first time) I'll just be brushing her probably every day or every other day out in the kitchen on the tile floor (I can't spell that stupid L word) and then just sweep it up or vacuum it.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I invested in a good HV dryer, blows the coat right out. nothing beats it IMO.

They hang out in the basment 98% of the time (thats where us humans do too) no carpets, so just sweep up as I notice it.

with a collie, beagle and medium haired cat there is alot of hair lol.

lucky Im a dog groomer, so hair isnt a big deal to wear to work.

at my office job where I work 4 months out of the year, they supply me with lint rollers at my desk lol

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Kodi looses his hair in little hairs and clumps (when he lays on the floor and the loose hair balls up under him, he doesn't blow his coat like lady, thank goodness), we pick up clumps when we see them and vacuum daily. Good clothes are kept in closed closets at all times so flying hair doesn't get to them and our furniture is either leather or otherwise easy to lint roll. When I groom him I groom his completely until no more hair comes out, he loves it, so it doesn't have to happen many times a week.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I also use dog hair as a fashion accessory. And the more ambitious clumps are named and adopted into the family once they start to show signs of life.... :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you need a Good brush i would invest in the "furminator" Get the x long dog hair one. I Brush My German Shepperd once a week it does help alot with removing the hair.. The only thing you cant run away from is Hair on the clothes.. DONT WEAR BLACK! haha

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
I've heard that the furminator isn't good to use very often because it does damage the guard hairs.

No carpet here, so I just sweep/vacuum. I have lint rollers of various kinds and I also find that a slicker brush run over the couch or a blanket (the same brush I use on the dog) actually picks up a lot of stray hair!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you need a Good brush i would invest in the "furminator" Get the x long dog hair one. I Brush My German Shepperd once a week it does help alot with removing the hair.. The only thing you cant run away from is Hair on the clothes.. DONT WEAR BLACK! haha
We have one and use it when she is blowing her coat. It is awesome.
It can damage guard hair but her coat regenerate so fast - if it has I haven't noticed it. We mostly use it to grab clumps of undercoat when she is blowing her coat and less for regular brushing.

Anyone ever used whatever they had handy to try to get hair off clothes/furniture? I'm guilty of using scotch tape, duck tape, packing tape, trying to scrap it off with my hand, static - umm...I'm sure there are other weird things I have used.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I use my dads industrial grade duct tape >.> (the kind that goes over holes in shrink lining on tractor trailers..the GOOD kind lol) that stuff makes the absolute BEST hair remover from clothes.

I have just a regular grooming brush right now. One that has metal bristles tipped on the end like a regular hair brush and then a soft bristle side on the back of it for a finish.
I'm going to invest in a good ol' fashion Rake sometime soon. They're really the best. I thought about a FURminator but it's not worth it to risk damaging her coat in anyway. Rake is great and since she doesn't have the typical husky coat yet, the regular brush works wonderful (until she blows coat).

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have never hear of furminator damaging the coat my friend used it for year since it came out and it has not damaged any of her dogs fur but I guess it depends on the hair and the dog? Guess you learn new things from reading all these posts.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
We have lots of carpet lol. We have a vacuum that picks up pet hair well and we vacuum 2-3 times a week.

Lint roller by the closet, in the car and at work because once I've used it and I sit in the car, I come out covered in hair again. Plus our work clothes are black and most of Nia's hair is white, not good!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have 2 tiny chihuahuas. They shed but the black one has hair about like an eye lash, the little red girl is short coated but her hair is much longer. I can't say shedding has been much of an issue.

My collie on the other hand! OH MAN. I'm positive if I can find one of those magic hats frosty the snowman had... I could have myself some new collies! I do use the furminator on her & it works like a dream. It must really feel good as she'll nearly go to sleep while I'm working her over with it. I suspect people who are having problems with scraping the skin on their dogs (as I've heard several complaints) are plain brushing too hard. Her outter guard hairs don't seem to have any negative effect from the Furminator however I don't rake it through the coat hard. I use light strokes & let the brush do it's work.

My giant schnauzer pup is a little trickier... as most of the time what I'm cleaning off of her is Collie hair :wink: The other day she was going in circles grabbing at something I suspected was cobwebs... nope... collie fur. She came from an all schnauzer environment & this collie-fur is mind boggling to her. The first time she mouthed the collie's hindquarters trying to get her to play she got a mouth full & couldn't get rid of it. I would have sworn I heard the old collie laugh. LOL Maybe I can train the Schnauzer to use a lint roller??

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I just purchased and started using the FURminator. I use it once a week but only on the big pup. I would never use it on certain other breeds like Poodle, Husky,Collie,Shepherd,....and the such. IMO it is better for the shorter haired breeds. It did seem to shorten Abby's coat some. But key is using it "gently" as I have found out. I use a pin brush the rest of the week every second day, then a smooth bristle brush to finish.........and vacuum, vacuum, vacuum. :)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I second getting a rake, they are better than the furminator because they don't damage the coat and they work on all three of my dogs (poodle/schnauzer, aussie and ACD) I don't know what we would do without the rake.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
god. shepHERD, please spell your breed correctly.

Second the furminator is a clipper blade on a handle. it should NOT be used on long haired dogs. it damages the coat. plain and simple. Im a dog groomer, and would never use one on a lond haired dogs, aside from doing legs and faces (if needed) It cuts the guard hairs, thus damaging it. Id not recomend this for any long haired dog. for a short haired dog/cat it is amazing. works great on my beagle and cat. i do not use it , aside from the legs on my collie.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts