Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog's anal glands were impacted and expressed by our vet.

11 days later, while Buchman was asleep next to me on the couch, I smelled that distinctive odor and found a couple drops on the cushion. I lifted his tail which prompted him to excrete more of his essence.

The next day, while he was sleeping on the couch again, I poked with my finger to feel for swelling and was instantly graced with more L'eau de Buchman. Had to clean the couch twice in less than 24hrs ... *mumble* *grumble*

Of course, fearing infection, I took him to the vet the next day. Turns out I am blessed with a boy that fills up quick. His stool is firm and he eats good so I don't think there's much that I can do other than empty them frequently at home.

I don't really mind this but the most frequent anal gland expressions I've heard of is every 2 weeks. His was full after 11 days!?

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Unless it's a regular thing, I wouldn't really worry too much about it. Wait another two weeks and if he fills up again then, well, I'd learn how to do it myself...

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
generally how often do they need to be done and how do you know if they need doing
It varies from dog to dog. some dogs never have problems with it and then there are ones like mine *sigh*. Anyways, dragging their butt on the ground (scooting) is a good sign that they need to be emptied. Or if they leak all over the couch:rolleyes: that's a pretty good sign they're full too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts