Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, where to start?

It started out just over a week ago. I noticed my Ludo had, well, chunked up a bit. He had flabby bits hanging under his chest and belly and he had a huge ring of fat around his neck. Very unusual for him but I chocked it up to the new home cooked diet and his lack of recent activity due to terrible weather. Reduced his calories by about 200 a day (still within a healthy range for him, however). A few days later I notice that he has a sore on his "pointer finger" knuckle on both front paws. . . odd . . . those are new. They look raw like he had chewed the fur off but his paws did not seem to hurt him. Talked to the Vet they recommened bag balm to help the sores heal. One heals right up (almost overnight) and the other starts looking better.

I start preparing to leave town for a week. We will have housesitters. Ludo has never spent more than 8-10 hours away from me and never for a whole week. The housesitters come down three days early to allow Ludo time to adjust to them. He gets along with them famously and I am feeling good about leaving him. Then, the night before I go I notice that the pads on his front paws look odd. Betwee the pads it is a dark brownish red - liked dried blood - all the way down to the skin. No blood just the discoloration. Nothing even close to his skin or fur color at all. He has not been licking his paws.

I leave and come back and lo and behold I have a thinner dog! No more belly fat or chest fat and less neck fat! In six days!? He ate fine during his time away. The only issue that occurred was one accident in his crate over night. He peed in the early morning hours. Unusual for him, yes, but I think he was just stressed.

Anyone think this could all be connected somehow? And if so....what could it be? One vet says he is fine (without even seeing him) and the other recommends hundreds of dollars worth of tests....not sure who to go with here...

He is eating and drinking fine. Still very playful and seems happy. Eyes are clear and nose is damp...I hope he is ok...

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
If you reduced his feed and he lost weight I am not sure what the problem is? Dogs live faster and are smaller than us, stuff happens faster.

If he licked his paws and now the sores are gone, that is good right?

The reddish discoloration happens from the reaction of an enzyme in the saliva. Normal if he is licking his feet. Is that worse? Whether you see him licking or not I bet he is licking them.

Usually paw licking is from allergies. Could be environmental, grass?

·
Registered
36 Posts
i'm not a vet. maybe he was allergic to the new food you were cooking him. my vet told me dogs live longest and healthiest when they eat ONLY dry dog food. it doesn't matter if it's high quality or low quality.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts