Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I hate seeing dogs in pet shops. I went into one that had two rough collie puppies. SO adorable but you could tell something was *off* about them.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
I saw "papillons" in a pet shop here. They didn't look pure to me; I suspected chihuahua/pap mix, although they could have simply been badly bred. The crazy part was that they were $1600 plus tax! There are several breeders on the island and they all charge $1500 (or less) for a pet puppy from champion health-tested parents, with Canadian Kennel Club registration, shots, spay or neuter in some cases, three-year health guarantee, and life-long relationship with the breeder/ability to ask them anything... plus the breeders will take a dog back at any time if you can't keep it. The thought of people paying more for a probably-mixed puppy from unknown parentage with no support once they walk out the door is crazy to me.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I know that. But from what I have seen most of them has been smaller breeds. Not working dogs.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Unfortunately, I've seen boxers, Huskies, Irish Setters, and all sorts of other large breeds, working or not, in pet shops. They're depressing places, for sure. My MIL got a cockapoo from a pet shop ( $700 for a mixed breed!!!!), which all the kids in her family had to chip in to pay for, including us - arghhhh, since it was a present to her!! I protested the source of the puppy, but it fell on deaf ears. Thankfully, Rosie ended up being as healthy as a horse, and smart as a whip. We were very lucky!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately, I've seen boxers, Huskies, Irish Setters, and all sorts of other large breeds, working or not, in pet shops. They're depressing places, for sure. My MIL got a cockapoo from a pet shop ( $700 for a mixed breed!!!!), which all the kids in her family had to chip in to pay for, including us - arghhhh, since it was a present to her!! I protested the source of the puppy, but it fell on deaf ears. Thankfully, Rosie ended up being as healthy as a horse, and smart as a whip. We were very lucky!
Oh my Gosh really, huskies?! I rarely go into pet shops so it was a shock for me. I was under the illusion most of it was the small designer breeds. But I guess anyone will do anything for a quick easy buck. The most annoying thing is the owner was really smart and new her stuff about food among other things but obviously didn't give a crap where she got her income from.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I went to one and saw two black lab puppies crammed into a crate. They were growing too fast and you could see the price written on the glass with $500 crossed out, $400 crossed out, $300 crossed out, and then finally $150 as the price. Who knows what finally happened to them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I refuse to support a store that sells puppies with ANY business. These days I mostly see mixes at pet stores for crazy prices.

I know someone that picked up an ACD at a pet store.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
The chain where I saw the "papillon" puppies now does not sell puppies or kittens. I don't shop there anyway, though; I go to the Global Pet Foods that opened in my city. The only animals in there are the employees' pug and sassy cat. :)

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
There's a pet store at our local mall that sells puppies (and some kittens). I would guess their primary revenue is from dog sales, since they don't have many products. They always have heelers, as well as Australian shepherds, border collies, huskies, dobes, golden retrievers, etc. And of course there are TONS of -poo mixes. They had a Springer-poo the other day, Springer spaniel/poodle mix. It makes me sad.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I refuse to go into stores that sell dogs and cats :/
I've been known to go in, pick out several expensive (non-alive) items and check out. About the time I should be paying for my purchase, I "notice" that they sell dogs, and remark on that, and that I just can't support a shop that sells puppies. Then walk out.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I've been known to go in, pick out several expensive (non-alive) items and check out. About the time I should be paying for my purchase, I "notice" that they sell dogs, and remark on that, and that I just can't support a shop that sells puppies. Then walk out.
LOVE this! I would do it, but I tend to turn into an emotional mess the minute I see the dogs in the cages and think about their mommas :/

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
As a little girl I remember thinking our local pet shop was magical... all those sweet puppies and kittens, birds and reptiles. We had so many pets, including a Bernese Mountain dog we got from that store (healthy and happy, he died at 10). We used to go there on the weekend just for fun. I went back a couple years ago and was SHOCKED. It was dark and dank, pets were all jammed into little cages, sometimes well into "teenagehood". Not a happy place, and of course by then I knew where most of the sweet puppies came from and where their parents were still suffering. They stopped selling puppies a few months ago... its a start.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I really love the idea of pet stores taking in shelter animals, instead of being part of the problem lets involve them in the solution!

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
I'm proud to say we finally have NO pets in pet shops here in PEI. Two of the shops keep shelter animals for adoption but usually only 2 or 3 which lightens the load for the Humane Society. I don't mind that so much.
Another Islander! Hey. I was actually talking about Pets Unlimited in Charlottetown when I mentioned the papillon (mix) puppies in my post above. I'm glad they don't sell puppies or kittens anymore. Do they still sell "pocket pets"? I'm opposed to the sale of ferrets in pet stores, too; they also come from mills and are tougher pets to keep than people realize.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I once went into a petshop that had a Redbone Coonhound pup, and I don't think a petshop dog has ever broken my heart more. He was in a container on a metal floor, drinking from a water bottle, no food, no toys, nothing to lay on. He put his paw up against the glass when I walked past him. :\
I still think about him, bless his heart :C

1 - 20 of 24 Posts