Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
We had Both Bambi and Dycen chipped. Don't know if Riley is, never gave it much thought.

·
Registered
39 Posts
All 3 of my dogs are chipped, my 2 femals have even 2 Chips ( a german and a american one). My husband was concerned at first 2, but it doesnt really hurt them, and like all the others said, you will be really happy, if your dog ran away and you find him thorugh the chip!

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Hijacking for a second, sorry!

Would you recommend getting a dog chipped even if you live in a smaller town? We have a small animal control shelter and they don't scan dogs for chips. I was planning on getting Jasper chipped when I first got him but after I talked to the animal control officer, I sort of thought it would be a waste.

Now I'm having second thoughts....

End hijack! :)
Dogs can run a long distance, he could get loose while visiting another town/city or while traveling, vets in your area might scan even if the shelter doesn't (and yikes, what kind of shelter doesn't scan?! Such an easy thing to do and gets so many dogs back home) and maybe your shelter will start to scan (maybe put some nice pressure on them? Find a group willing to donate a scanner?)

Chipping is a great tool in combination with tags. Tags are great because anyone can read them and call a number on them, but tags also get torn off or collars come loose or the dog can slip out while not wearing a collar to begin with.
The minor "ouch" of the needle is less than the bumps and scrapes a dog will get while playing. If I had to guess, I'd say it probably feels like the needle used to give blood which is also noticeably larger than a vaccination needle. So there is an ouch when it goes in, but nothing more than a little sting.

·
Registered
128 Posts
How would I feel that I have a super small thing under my skin that tells other people where to take me if I get lost so I can be returned to my loving family?
Absolutely fantastic, actually.
some parents will "chip" their kids....just think of how many less missing, unidentified people there would be if we were all "chipped"....
The thing about the chip is that is doesn't track your whereabouts but is only activated when you run the scanner over it. You can't use it to find a stolen dog or child b/c the theif won't have it scanned unless he has to take it to the vet or pediatrician. But a LOST dog or child or older or sick or mentally disabled person would benefit b/c if you can't tell someone where you belong, your chip can. If you care for a diabled person who can't care for themselves independently you really need to put a medic alert or medical ID bracelet on them so that the person can be returned to you. This is what dog tags do but collars can slip off or be broken, hence the chip.

·
Registered
507 Posts
...my brother refuses and says it's animal cruelty.
This is not a rational, evidence-based position. He is either ignorant about the process or has an objection he is unwilling to state.

My dog is chipped and I sleep better at night because of it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Juneau and Conker are chipped. Sasha is not. Yet. She will be soon.

Honestly, the dogs are my/Mom's property. I/we have every right to put a microchip in them to prove ownership. It is not cruel, that is a silly idea. I am not anyone's property, so you cannot compare chipping on that basis.

·
Registered
126 Posts
All of my dogs are chipped. Dixie and Todd were done when we adopted them, and I just had Jasper done last month. Now, I'm working on getting my cats done.

In the almost 2 years that Dixie's had hers, it's only been scanned once since the time it was implanted. And that was upon request to make sure it hadn't moved or become unreadable (which it shifted slightly, but still in the general implant area). Jasper and Todd's haven't been scanned since they were done.

My main reason for making sure these guys are chipped, is due to theft. I've had some real nutjobs ask me if I would sell or give them my dogs, and I had to threaten the cops on a couple (even though 2 of my dogs are mutts). I just don't trust people, collars and tags are too easily taken off and discarded. When your pet is chipped and you have the paperwork to prove it's yours, there's no way anyone can deny it. And that's why I've made sure to have the dogs tags made that say "I'm microchipped, please return me."

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Hijacking for a second, sorry!

Would you recommend getting a dog chipped even if you live in a smaller town? We have a small animal control shelter and they don't scan dogs for chips. I was planning on getting Jasper chipped when I first got him but after I talked to the animal control officer, I sort of thought it would be a waste.

Now I'm having second thoughts....

End hijack! :)
Don't the chip companies offer free scanners to shelters? If I find a stray (or had a dog come into rescue) one of the FIRST things done was take them to the vet to be scanned for a chip.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Almost all vets and animal shelters have the ability to scan for chips (and insert them), and it's the first thing done when a lost dog is found.

Regardless of your brother's opinion, you need to have your dog chipped if you're going to be a responsible owner.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Buster is chipped. He was done during a trip to the vet for vaccinations. He showed more reaction to the vaccine injections than the microchip. While its unlikely that he'll slip out an open door and take himself on an adventure, if it happens he at least has ID that can help get him home. A bigger worry for me has always been theft. This way there will never be any doubt who my beast bear belongs to.

Busters chip has been scanned twice in the 2 1/2 years its been in place. The first time right after it was inserted and the 2nd this past February at my request...I wanted to know it was still in place and functioning properly, it is.

·
Registered
332 Posts
There is another thread about an owner dispute over a dog in Oregon. If the dog was chipped, there would be no owner dispute. if you get the dog chipped during a speutering, there is no way its animal cruelty. Sounds like the excuse is simply because they don't want to fork over the money for it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Chipping is sooo essential in my books. All my dogs have been chipped and saved our little wienerdog from being taken by someone.

Kally (our little doxie) was at the park with my parents (with a new collar- no tag yet) and was frightened by a large dog running at her. Which made her run UNDER the fence and onto the road. She disappeared down some sideroads and could not be located. My parents were devastated. They were frightened for her life and were mad at themselves for not inspecting the dog park fence more thoroughly.

Luckily for little Kally Wally, they recieved a phone call that night. Kally had been found by another person with a doxie. She had come running into their yard and was found playing with their dog. They immediately went to the vet and got her checked for a chip. They called my parents and Kally was returned safely.

This is where it gets a little weird. The women blatantly said, if she was not chipped she would have just kept Kally for herself.. as much as I thank for for saving Kally.. I was a little taken a back that she wouldn't have at least tried to find the owner.

However, chippping is worth it! 100%. Merlin - who is already tattoed - will be chipped when he is neutered. It IS essential.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Are you sure your animal control doesn't have a scanner? They are, as mentioned, provided free to shelters so it's really irresponsible of them to not have one. I live in a smaller area and even our not so great shelter has a scanner.

I work at a vet and many people bring dogs they've found to be scanned. I think they try to avoid taking them to the shelter, so if the dog is chipped and they can just get ahold of the owner, even better.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Both my girls were chipped when they were adopted. They get scanned yearly at their annual vet appt.

I would say chip as I have found a dog that was collarless, leashless and running about at my apt. I took the dog to my vet and asked them to scan him. Ends up he was chipped, it had been placed 8 years earlier and the owners were able to pick up the dog within an hour. He had slipped out of his collar as his owner was changing it in the car and darted off. They had hunted for him all night long and were unable to find him. With no chip I would have had to put up posters, hope his owner saw them and since I cannot keep him at my apt - he would of had to go to the shelter within a few days (as long as I could hide him). With the chip he had permanent identification he couldn't slip out of, loose or hide in his fur.

Chipping is the way to go.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Are you sure your animal control doesn't have a scanner? They are, as mentioned, provided free to shelters so it's really irresponsible of them to not have one. I live in a smaller area and even our not so great shelter has a scanner.
Yes, I'm very sure. I volunteered there for a little while a few months ago and asked the officer all about it. He didn't seem interested, but maybe he realize that he could get one for free. I'm for sure going to contact him and let him know to look into it.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts