Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So while we were out at a movie, my 17-pound Pomeranian mix got herself into and devoured an entire bag of Nestle chocolate chips. (Apparently some candy-making Christmas present was in a closet, and she has recently learned to open those closets- clever girl.)

She's currently acting perfectly spry and happy, and we have found enough vomited, not-remotely-metabolized chocolate to potentially believe that she's yakked it ALL up. It was a LOT of partially-melted chocolate chips <_< (Fortunately none on the carpet!)

We took her to the vet earlier today for some excessive scratching (fleas have been in abundance this season) and rang up a $73 bill. I can certainly afford to take her to the emergency vet tonight, but she honestly seems just fine, and has pooped and peed okay as well, my boyfriend and I are worried that it might be a waste of significant money (24-hour vets don't come cheap).

Of course I know you guys aren't veterinarians, but if you can offer any thoughts on what we should do I would be much obliged. Specifically, if you or anyone you know has been in a similar situation and learned one way or another whether the dog should really go to the vet, that would be very helpful!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,215 Posts
Was it milk chocolate or dark chocolate? How much is in a bag? http://netpet.batw.net/articles/choc.tox.html this article will help. Theobromine which is the toxin for dogs in chocolate is present in different percentages in different types of chocolate. Milk chocolate has less while dark chocolate has more. If you are in any doubt I would take her to the vet or at least call the emergency vet and tell them your concerns and they will be able to help you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Semisweet, 12oz.

I wound up calling the emergency vet, then taking her in. They agreed her heart rate is high and they're keeping her overnight on an IV. I'm less scared for her recovery (I'm 99% sure she'll be totally fine) but she was terrified and shaking when I left her- we got her at a shelter so I'm sure she's petrified and confused, perhaps more so than she otherwise would be. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,193 Posts
I had a lab eat that much without vomitting and she made it. She went on to eat some advil and gloves. Eventually died of old age. Try to stay calm. In all likelihood, this is going to have a good outcome and be a funny story to tell.

My heart goes out to you. Been there, done that, but it's been awhile. Perspective is forgiving.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,075 Posts
How is she doing? Please keep us updated. Hope she is doing great! Dogs do the scariest stuff sometimes!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She seems to be doing well, keeping food down and whatnot. We're feeding her a bland diet, just a couple of bites every 30-60 minutes for now. Our biggest problem is that she's bored, hungry, and stuck in "the cone" so she's poking around and being kind of a nuisance!

Fortunately if she doesn't throw up again in the next ~hour, we can take her to the vet to get her catheter removed from her arm, and that means we can take the cone off. I think she'll calm down a fair bit when that's settled.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,075 Posts
I am glad to hear she has survived the ordeal. Now you will have to put locks on all your doors and cupboards ... she is too smart for her own good! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She really is! We're not the least bit sure how we can puppy-proof our closets. They're those funny bi-fold closet doors (like the Craftmaster Louver on this page) with tiny knobs, so opening them a little bit actually puts the knobs closer together. She's a little dog, so strapping the knobs together might still give her enough wiggle room.

There are some products I can get for child/puppy-proofing them, basically just a plastic thing you slip on the doors where they meet in the middle that prevent them from moving forward or backward (see also), so I guess I'll get some of those.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,075 Posts
That is a very good idea! There is just so much space and so much you can proof a house in general ... without everything being in a bank vault! lol! :)
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top