Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You wouldn't believe what happened today...

Okay. First off, I woke up, in a semi-good mood. : ) That sounds funny, but my mother would laugh and say, "That's a first!" -.- Anyway... I walked outside to take Donatello to go pee/poop/whatever, it was beautiful outside. A gorgeous breeze, light and cool, it felt like spring-time/fall-time, really...

Anyway, I made the snap-decision to, "Hey, Donatello! Let's go to the dog park!" We haven't been there in months, and I've missed his friends as much as he has! lol!

I got dressed, we loaded up- I actually found a quicker way there! OMG! I didn't waste near as much gas going to-and-from! : D Hooray!

So we get there, and being it's a Saturday I was expecting a crowd... There really wasn't. I was able to go into the Large Dog Pen instead; We met up with Steve, and his dogs Scooter and Emmy. : D They're sweethearts, pretty old and mellow, Scooter is usually cantankerous, almost as much as Emmy... Anyway, introductions went well, (again). : )

So Donatello is just moseying along, when this older woman asked to bring in her niece's black Lab puppy. 0.0 Steve said, "Oh sure, if there's any riff-raff they'll either work it out or we'll leave." Steve had just got done listening to me brag about Donatello's accomplishments. The last time we met him Donatello was still a little "shy", but you all know that Donatello has been making accomplishments in his "socialization"-department. Well, the puppy, which is still about 4 times bigger than Donatello comes in, doesn't even do anything!, and Donatello tears after him with the intent to rip his throat out! Seriously! The woman starts screaming, and I screamed three times, "Donatello! Stop! Donatello! Come here! Donatello, COME HERE!" He stops, comes over to me and I put him in a "sit. stay", his hair is standing on end from his neck to his tail! I was speechless! Steve suggested I just let them "work it out". -.- There was nothing to work out, the puppy was just sniffing a patch of weeds!

I didn't even release Donatello and he ripped out of my hands and started tearing after the puppy again! I screamed at him to "come here"!! So he did and I picked him up. The woman was petrified, "I came in here to socialize my dog, not for him to get eaten!" Accusing me of owning an "aggressive" dog. Steve just kind of chided her and said, "Now, now, he doesn't really act that way, we don't know what's going on. We're really sorry." (Thank goodness for Steve.) :rolleyes:

I was still going to leave, because I believe once a dog is riled up like that, "ready to fight", it's best to just leave... As I was leaving a few other people come in the next pen over, a small yappy white mutt, he/she get close to the fence and Donatello goes ballistic again, he jumps out of my arms, rushes the fence and starts trying to bite the dog through the fence! :eek:

I said, "Alright Donatello, that's enough! We're leaving!" He came trotting over to me, all proud of himself! -.- Steve was just as shocked as I was! He did great with Scooter and Emmy, he does great with my father's dogs (all three of them), he's done well with other strange dogs before too... I don't know what got into him today!

So we left, and we probably won't be back for another four months! :mad:

I have a theory though about the Lab puppy. Donatello doesn't like Pit-Bulls or any dog that looks like the bully-breed... He flips out and becomes a lean-mean-fighting-machine with teeth on a leash! Only Pit-Bulls... Is it possible that he's been put through hell involving that breed and now the image of that breed is imprinted in his mind? I have no other explanation... But this black Lab puppy looked like a Pit-Bull to me from far away, and until up close I didn't realize it was a Lab myself, I think he was confused... : ( Which makes me sad, I don't want him to act this way...

Anyway... That's my morning! I try to do something good and nice for Donatello and he acts like a brat! -.- So he's been punished. (We left the park and he's not allowed to play for the rest of the day.)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Odd...
Hm. Well Kaki hates all boxers so I think your theory could be true.
At least he has a nice recall even if he's being a brat.:p

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, it's quite possible, I believe so. I live in the area where Michael Vick and his dog-fights were and are quite popular.

I've had to work hard on the socialization with other dogs, big time, but this avid dislike of "Pit-bulls" worries me... It's not something I can work on though, and I'm scared to work on something like that by myself.

Thanks for your support Brittany G. : )

·
Registered
43 Posts
Oh no! It's so hard, on us as owners, when you just want to be able to take your dog out and for them to be able to enjoy themselves, and you enjoy yourself, but a problem the dog has doesn't allow for that!

I know this sounds crazy, but maybe you should sned ina tape to the Dog Whisperer..you never know, you could get chosen to be "saved" lol..and maybe he could help you out with Donatello!

Good luck either way! Poor you!

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
(We left the park and he's not allowed to play for the rest of the day.)
IMO leaving the park was the right decision - maybe even before the second incident. I once witnessed an extremely sweet even-tempered dog turn aggressive when a stranger began yelling at the owner. I wouldn't have trusted that dog around anyone (human or canine) until it cooled off for a little while, just to be safe.

Donatello probably forgot about the whole incident by the time you hit the parking lot, though, and definitely by the time you got home. "Punishing" him for the rest of the day seems a little harsh to me. Just my opinion.

Also, I think not returning to the DP for months on end may be a mistake if you plan to go back eventually. Clearly he can get along with some dogs (the one's he's been hanging out with on a regular basis), so if you can make strange dogs just a part of his normal routine, you might see continued progress. Introducing them slowly, though, might be the best plan. Can you keep him leashed and just walk the perimeter for a while? Go when it's practically empty and only let him off leash with a dog who he's met and acted friendly with through a fence?

As for the pitbull thing, we had an opposite issue, in a way. I got Kit from a very small, very rural shelter. At the time, they were at capacity with 8 dogs: 7 pits/pitX's and Kit. Most were great, but the two she was kenneled with were aggressive in the extreme. Despite this, she only picked up one bad habit from them: food aggression towards other dogs. Interestingly, though, for a while after I got her, she seemed to have a soft spot for pits. She would make a beeline for them at the DP and would even mimic a few behaviors typical of the breed. With time, she's slowly figuring out that she doesn't have a drop of pit blood in her ;) It made for some laughs at the DP, though - poor confused dog.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
IMO leaving the park was the right decision - maybe even before the second incident. I once witnessed an extremely sweet even-tempered dog turn aggressive when a stranger began yelling at the owner. I wouldn't have trusted that dog around anyone (human or canine) until it cooled off for a little while, just to be safe.
I was planning on leaving after the first incident, that's why I had him in my arms, I was trying to thank Steve and apologize for Donatello's behavior when the second incident happened...

Donatello probably forgot about the whole incident by the time you hit the parking lot, though, and definitely by the time you got home. "Punishing" him for the rest of the day seems a little harsh to me. Just my opinion.
I was being sarcastic on this one, lol, I should have said as such... What I meant was, is that the rest of the day he was "cooling it" on the couch, I've been lately getting him worked up with his toys on the floor. (Something he's just started doing actually.) But we had a "third" incident here at home when I took a walk with him to get the mail.

For the second day in row I've done this now, and I thought, "We'd be safe enough to walk to get the mail..." But no. We were ambushed by a Corgi puppy, who was friendly, but regardless, wasn't greeting Donatello the proper way, I tried getting Donatello to "sit" but the puppy kept putting his/her nose right in his *ahem* crotch-area, and Donatello hates that, (because of the pug-puppy at my father's house.) he can handle the butt-sniffing, but not the crotch-area. Anyway, the puppy was too hyper and the owner was standing on the other side of the road, speaking Spanish, hollering for the dog to come. :mad: I was livid! Finally Donatello had enough and started snapping viciously at the puppy so I had to pick him up out of reach, (still snapping) and the owner ran over and picked up his pooch. Walked back fifteen feet and set him down again! I didn't mumble this, "Get your damn dog on a leash! IT'S THE RULES IDIOT!" Donatello is always on a leash around here, 1. It's the LAW 2. It's the RULES of the complex, 3. I don't trust him around cats, and 4. I wouldn't want Donatello doing to other people and dogs that others' off-leash dogs do! It's called common courtesy and respect...

Well, we were walking back up the hill and the f***ing puppy came at us again, and this time Donatello was prepared, he tolerated the puppy long-enough and obviously the puppy hasn't been socialized with other dogs to know when "enough-is-enough". So it crosses the street, I had Donatello's leash wrapped tight around my hand to keep him at my side, I looked at the Spanish guy standing by his car, (hollering for it again), I grinned a devilish grin and let the leash unwind from my hand. Fortunately for the puppy he wasn't across the street yet but Donatello took off and about had the puppy on the ground, a few yelps came out, Donatello turned and walked back to me, and the puppy went yelping back to it's owner! The Spanish guy was obviously cussing me out in his language... But I didn't care... I mean, do you see what he did?? Donatello wasn't out for blood like with the Lab puppy at the dog park earlier today; It was apparent, all he wanted to do was to get his point across, once the puppy yelped a few times he walked, practically trotted, back to me with a grin on his face as well. There was no blood, but it was clear the puppy was shook up.

I normally don't do anything like that, but I figured I'd teach the guy and the puppy a lesson he shouldn't forget... I did call the office when I get home and made a complaint, they're "supposedly" going to do something...

But I cannot walk Donatello around this apartment complex without encountering more than one off-leash dog that doesn't listen to their owners! I can't believe this many people who don't follow the rules can live in one complex!

-END RANT!-

Also, I think not returning to the DP for months on end may be a mistake if you plan to go back eventually. Clearly he can get along with some dogs (the one's he's been hanging out with on a regular basis), so if you can make strange dogs just a part of his normal routine, you might see continued progress. Introducing them slowly, though, might be the best plan. Can you keep him leashed and just walk the perimeter for a while? Go when it's practically empty and only let him off leash with a dog who he's met and acted friendly with through a fence?
He does do good with strange dogs, when they're leashed or when we're at the dog park, I think I mentioned this I'm not sure... The Lab puppy was something no one could have expected. He has played with several strange dogs at the park before, and has romped and been friendly, but like I mentioned I think the Lab's looks caught him off-guard and I think he just instantly thought it was a "pit-bull". The Lab was in one of those awkward stages, you know, where it is still a puppy, but all tall and gangly like an adult. If that makes sense. He can meet strange dogs when they're leashed too, no problem... When the Lab puppy left he was still wired, and strung-out, and when those other dogs came in the pen beside us, I just think he was still pissed-off. (It's not like the dogs that came to the fence were friendly, they were fighting with each other as well...) Like Steve said, "There's bad energy in the group today? Do you feel it?" Steve joked about it, but I'm starting believe that's what it was, because Donatello has been great all these months, and then yesterday made a fool of me.

We haven't been to the dog park in months because I haven't been able to afford the gas. We've been going over to my father's house, where he does great with three dogs, (one being a pug-puppy). I said we wouldn't be able to go for four more months, because of the gas-issue... He wasted the one day we could go. : ( That was what I meant... (I should really be more cautious on what I type, I need to type what I mean. lol! I apologize.)

As for the pitbull thing, we had an opposite issue, in a way. I got Kit from a very small, very rural shelter. At the time, they were at capacity with 8 dogs: 7 pits/pitX's and Kit. Most were great, but the two she was kenneled with were aggressive in the extreme. Despite this, she only picked up one bad habit from them: food aggression towards other dogs. Interestingly, though, for a while after I got her, she seemed to have a soft spot for pits. She would make a beeline for them at the DP and would even mimic a few behaviors typical of the breed. With time, she's slowly figuring out that she doesn't have a drop of pit blood in her ;) It made for some laughs at the DP, though - poor confused dog.
I wish Donatello could get along with them, I know a few people there at the dog-park with pit-bulls, that are friendly with any and all dogs... and I'd love for Donatello to be able to play with them, too... They'd wear his butt plum out! lol! But I don't trust Donatello, and I can't trust myself to handle this "pit-bull" issue by myself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts