Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upendi gets extremely jealous of over me, she's not aggressive about it. She just promptly inserts herself where I have to deal with her. :D So the other day I bathed her and then put her upstairs and gated her in so I could bath one of my gramma's dogs. Well Upendi got so jealous she broke down the gate, pushed open the bathroom door and put herself in my lap. I got a good laugh at her. :p

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
It's not jealousy, it's resource guarding. Dogs aren't capable of higher emotions like jealousy. Personally, I would work on breaking her of it.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Ditto to that. I would definitely be working on changing that behavior. Not cute at all.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Eddie doesn't really care for me showing Uallis attention for a great length of time. He likes to be the center of attention. He's better about it than he used to be, that's for sure. If I ignore him for a bit, he gets bored and goes off to do something else. I don't care for him "demanding" my attention like that, and really discourage it.

Uallis doesn't care if anyone is paying attention to him or not...lol He just wants to be in the same room with every one else. He could care less if I pay attention to Eddie. However, he does NOT like us paying attention to the cats and gets quite upset about it. I think its because the cats have swatted him several times in the nose, with their claws out...OUCH!! I think that he believes that the cats will hurt us if they swatted US in the nose...lol

·
Registered
267 Posts
When Rinoa sees me petting one of my other dogs, she either gets in between me and them or barks at me until I leave the room with her following me.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
This might not even BE resource guarding.. it may just be that she wants to be with her momma! Not that it's a behavior I'd condone, but it is significantly different.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This might not even BE resource guarding.. it may just be that she wants to be with her momma! Not that it's a behavior I'd condone, but it is significantly different.
That's what it is. She's just extremely close with me because I got her when I was so young and she was actually still on the bottle for a bit at the time so I'm the one who basically raised and weaned her. She's not a resource guarder.

And just to clarify, I never say I condone it or encourage it. I ignore her when she does do it.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Jonas could probably top Upendi. We're working on it, but if I'm laying with one of our other dogs, he will literally push himself into my lap/face and roll over onto his back in effort to get me to look at him. Same if I'm touching my boyfriend.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
That's what it is. She's just extremely close with me because I got her when I was so young and she was actually still on the bottle for a bit at the time so I'm the one who basically raised and weaned her. She's not a resource guarder.

And just to clarify, I never say I condone it or encourage it. I ignore her when she does do it.
Marge is similar, actually. She doesn't always have to be with me, but she's always gotta know that she can get to me. So she hates things like closed doors. :D It was actually worse in the beginning.. she was anxious to the point that she'd whine when I went to the bathroom for 2 minutes!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Mhm, according to science dogs are capable of feeling jealousy - or at least something similar to it.

I have a similar issue with Dandi. If I'm trying to talk to my mum she'll throw herself on my mum's lap and lick us both. She'll literally push me out of the way to get in between us. She doesn't like feeling left out of conversations.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Snowball isn't jelous,she's still a puppy and thinks everybody that walks in sight should pet her. I had a female Bullmastiff that was jelous and didn't want anyone to share her time.I had my future wife over one evening and we were watching a movie,sitting close to one another. Ginger decided that was her place,got in back of her and shoved her off the couch!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Whenever I pet on another dog, Donatello has to, slowly, push himself in-between my hand the dog, he's not rude or aggressive, and usually he'll just stand-up to put his face close to mine and stare at me wagging his tail as if to say, "You remember me right?"

It's funny, but I don't condone that behavior either. I'm teaching him that when I pet on other dogs, that I approve of them and that it's okay for him to play with the other dogs... And it's working... He doesn't push himself in-between near as much, but instead will watch me pet on the dog and then when I'm done he'll bow down and wag his tail and tempt the dog into chasing him.

However, periodically while he's playing he'll still run back to me and stand at my side, just to be close to me... : ) It's cute...

·
Registered
246 Posts
I can understand the jealousy thing, and the resource-guarding...

...but about a bath?

If I bathed another dog after bathing Mabel, the only reason she'd enter the room is to say "See, he's torturing you too" to the other dog.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Many days I feel Big Words doesn't care one way or another about me unless he thinks I might have food in my hand. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can understand the jealousy thing, and the resource-guarding...

...but about a bath?

If I bathed another dog after bathing Mabel, the only reason she'd enter the room is to say "See, he's torturing you too" to the other dog.
That's what made it so funny because she HATES baths and just minutes before I went to bath the other dog she was trying to escape the bathroom. :rolleyes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts