Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my Bf and I are thinking of going up to Montreal for Thanksgiving. (American thanksgiving, not Canadian which is this weekend..). And I of course want to bring Roxy with us.

The only thing I definitely KNOW to bring is the rabies certificate.. Should I also bring a copy of her vet physical? And what about food, do I need to bring the actual packaging of the food? (TOTW) I don't have an unopened bag at the moment, but might in about a month and a bit.

Anything else I'm forgetting? (besides basics, crate, leash, jacket possibly..)

thanks in advance :D

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Rabies Vaccination Certificate
The European Union pet passport is an acceptable alternative to the rabies vaccination certificate as long as all the required elements outlined below are included.

The rabies vaccination certificate must:
be written in English or French;
be issued and signed by a licensed veterinarian;
identify the animal (breed, sex, colour, and weight);
state that the animal is vaccinated against rabies;
indicate the date of vaccination;
indicate the trade name and the serial number of the licensed vaccine; and
specify the duration of immunity (otherwise, it will be considered valid for one year from the date of vaccination).
Make sure your rabies certificate has all of that info. A friend of mine recently tried to cross with a certificate that didn't have the dog's weight, for some reason, and was denied entry.

Also:

Travellers may bring into Canada a personal import of pet food (limit of 20 kg), if the import meets all of the following requirements:

The pet food or product must be of United States origin and be commercially packaged.
The pet food or product must be in the possession of the traveller at the time of entry from the U.S.
The animal that will eat the imported product must accompany the traveller at the time of entry.
The imported product is fed only to the animal that accompanied the traveller into Canada.
If you need any more information, it's all here. Sounds like a fun trip :)

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Montreal!! Yay!!! Yes come to meeee <3 LOL

All kidding aside, my friend who travels to/from Mtl to NY only ever brings her rabies certificate. 90% of the time she says they don't even look at it lol!

PS, are Meeko and Roxy going to have a playdate while you're here? ;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Montreal!! Yay!!! Yes come to meeee <3 LOL

All kidding aside, my friend who travels to/from Mtl to NY only ever brings her rabies certificate. 90% of the time she says they don't even look at it lol!

PS, are Meeko and Roxy going to have a playdate while you're here? ;)
yes please!! Roxy loves dogs her size (or smaller :D). I will need to pick your brain about weather once it gets closer.. my lil southern belle might need a new jacket for this trip..

and thank you Hiraeth, I did look on that site a few min ago and will look at my certificate when I get home to make sure it has all the needed info.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
yes please!! Roxy loves dogs her size (or smaller :D). I will need to pick your brain about weather once it gets closer.. my lil southern belle might need a new jacket for this trip..

and thank you Hiraeth, I did look on that site a few min ago and will look at my certificate when I get home to make sure it has all the needed info.
Hopefully they won't give you any trouble! It seems totally dependent on which official you run into. Some of them don't even look at the paperwork, others go through it with a fine tooth comb.

I imported horses between the US and Canada a lot and had some really smooth trips, and some really horrendous nightmare experiences, all while wielding the same exact paperwork.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts

Yes Meeko too, especially girlies <3

It'll be November so a little short haired girl like yours will most likely need a sweater or jacket. We'll see how cold it gets once it's time :)

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I think it all depends who you get at the border crossing. I've traveled from Canada into the US before and have never been asked for anything, though I had Pepper's vet papers and rabies certificate with. One time on the way back into Canada the guy asked "Is the dog Canadian too?" Lol! We just replied that she was and that was that.

·
Super Moderator
7,273 Posts
I haven't traveled across the border with Kuma, so can't help much there, but man, you're going to love Quebec! I was just there, I visited Saguenay and Quebec City, and it is SO beautiful!! We took a drive our second day in Quebec City out to Baie St. Paul and it was just the most gorgeous scenery I've seen in a very long time! Hope I spelled those names right, my French is horrible, lol, although I'd love to learn it better.

·
Registered
878 Posts
We got a very strict official once who asked if we had the food in the original bag - we didn't, and were told we should as he could confiscate the food without it (but he didn't).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts