Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:redface: You know...one of those people who get annoyed with certain behaviors that other dogs do but not when the behavior comes from their own? The other day I was down at Mom's cooking dinner and talking to my gf on the phone. Kayla was at my feet the entire time following me around, I was almost tripping over her, so I say "I HATE it when dogs are in the kitchen in the way!" So Patty coughs a bit, and replies "Uhh..Jenn? HELLO...Luke is ALWAYS in the kitchen with you. You show him every ingredient as it goes into the pot and even read the damn directions on how to cook the food! You can't get much more 'in your face and in your way than Luke". Oops.:redface::wink:

I'm sitting in the living room chair with Mom...and the pup is sitting there begging at my feet which totally ticks me off. So I said to Mom "Can you put her in the crate or something? I can't eat like this" Mom just stares at me with this look of shock on her face. I said "what?!!" "Well Jenn...it's just...Luke is always right there, drooling, waiting for a piece of whatever you're having...that never bothers you. And he DROOLS. It makes Patty and Mom right sick.:laugh: What could I say to that? It's true. He likes to share if whatever I have is edible to him.:redface:

So ok, maybe I have a bit of a favoritism issue. But..well...can you blame me? Could YOU say no to this face?

Or heaven forbid..this one?

It's just...different when Luke does it..that's all. Yeah. :whistle:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm definitely one of those too! I think our love for our dogs can sometimes blind us and make us overlook the things that annoy us about other dogs. I find myself very annoyed when other dogs lick me. But, when my own dog licks me, it doesn't bother me at all because I know it's just affection.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol well he's got a happy face on right now. We ran into two chocolate labs down at the park, two females and boy did he have a blast. The women wore him out, as usual ;) But yeah as to the original topic; the bond I have with Luke is so intense, so different than anything I've ever shared with another being, that I suppose it's only natural that I find happiness in whatever he does, even if it should be annoying. It's so important to me that I make the most of every moment, to never take things with him for granted, because I know me, and I know there will come a day (hopefully not for a long time to come) where I will wish with all my heart he was still here to mess up the bed with his muddy paw prints or drool while waiting for me to share a piece of my chicken dinner lol.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Not me, pretty anything I can't stand in others dogs I absolutely WILL NOT tolerate in my own. I tolerate no bad behavior... I want my dogs to be ambassadors to their breeds, their backgrounds (Jo being a rescue & all) & their kind.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I have to say I am the opposite. I let the dogs I watch get away with a lot of stuff I would never put up with my own dogs. I especially expect my Boys to be on best behavior when they are visiting in someone else's home or if there is company over. I think its mainly because their owners let them get away with it, so why should I put in the work to enforce something when they aren't even my dogs? My dogs know the rules and do not make people feel uncomfortable.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I have a somewhat strict set of rules with my dogs and not so much so with somebody else's dog. The only exception is barking in my face.

I love it when Kaki barks/bays in my face. And man can she go and go and go. It's not cute or funny when it's some lab mix at work.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I am soooo like that. I hate when people bring their dogs outside my apartment unit and they start barking loudly.

Yeah... Coco pretty much barks at butterflies if they're in her territory.

I half expect a note on my door someday soon that says, "get your dog to shut up!" Oh, dude, how I wish I could. But Coco has stuff to say, and Coco is going to say it... loudly. It's Coco's territory, and you just happen to live in it.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I hate it when my dogs embarrass me, barking to alert me is ok, but once I check it out & see it isn't a threat & tell them so, then I expect silence.

I try to be respectful of others & I know how Annoying a barking dog is... Or a dog with no manners in general is, so I work hard to NOT have my dogs be like that, I want them to be ambassadors... Like I said :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is a difference in my mind than not "sweating the small stuff' versus having a dog with no manners. No matter how adorable Luke is, I would not tolerate rude behavior, but he's never been that way anyway. He's not a barker....never has been. Never once jumped on a person, even as a pup. He's not all over people because frankly, other than the first two or three minutes of seeing someone he likes, he could care less if you lived or died lol...he's a Mamma's boy and makes it very clear. I would not tolerate a dog that pulls on a leash. Period...I can't stand it. I suffer from chronic headaches so barking is a no no, although his bark isn't a high pitched glass through the brain sound anyway. He doesn't bolt out doors, trip me up, or any of things that I wouldn't tolerate. Having the zoomies in the house with mucky feet is not what I consider being a bad dog. Just wanted to clear that up, because it seems like a few of you got the impression that I might allow bad manners. Not so. Not even for him. I think too a lot of it has to do with the difference in energy. While Luke might be at my side following me around all the time, he's not annoying about it. He's not bouncing all over the place, or hyper. THAT bugs me.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I'm the opposite. I'm forgiving to other peoples dogs because they don't know my boundaries yet and I don't know how much training do they get or what they're allowed. I do correct my friends and family pets if they are way too in my face but I don't try to make them follow my rules since they're not mine.

My MILs cocker spaniel mix is way pushy for attention and tries to paw at you, climb onto your lap (shes probably 50ish lbs), push other people and dogs put of the way etc. Highly annoying but I can forgive her for she's not trained aside from what the SO and I correct her on.

My dogs do something like that to other people- THEY KNOW BETTER than that! Visiting other places and houses or letting them out with visitors in the house is a privilege not a right.

I will correct them 3 times for bad behavior and its in the crate they go after they strike out. I'm a strict mom, but I reward big too. They do have some behaviors that I would say is bad that I don't mind like jumping up onto my leg to reach me but I don't get upset at other dogs for doing the same as they're probably allowed to do it at home too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts