9301 - 9320 of 9323 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Oh no! Poor Jack! Hope he gets better soon... that is indeed scary stuff. :(

·
Registered
17,912 Posts
And now he's having lymph tissue sent to pathology. Gonna be a long damned wait.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
That moment when you know it has been too long since you've given your dog a bath, but keep putting it off anyway (simultaneous pro/con for having a non-stinky dog), then your dog goes and covers herself in poo somewhere, forcing your hand. Then after the bath you realize, wow... there was WHITE under there! And she's so soft...

·
Registered
17,912 Posts
Results in?
Sending good thoughts.
Oops, forgot I posted here.

Yeah, results are in. Showing mostly really extensive, really old, hematoma/blood in the area. Going theory is that the hematoma actually is the source of the abscess and that both happened at the same time - probably when Thud grabbed him - and the second was just deeper and took longer to show symptoms. It's not unheard of for that to happen, though it IS strange. Could recur, still, but frankly at this point - well, he's had all the blood work and Dx stuff, and come up with absolutely nothing except borderline low thyroid, so.

DUNNO.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oops, forgot I posted here.

Yeah, results are in. Showing mostly really extensive, really old, hematoma/blood in the area. Going theory is that the hematoma actually is the source of the abscess and that both happened at the same time - probably when Thud grabbed him - and the second was just deeper and took longer to show symptoms. It's not unheard of for that to happen, though it IS strange. Could recur, still, but frankly at this point - well, he's had all the blood work and Dx stuff, and come up with absolutely nothing except borderline low thyroid, so.

DUNNO.
That is frustrating... keep us updated? Hoping for the best!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Well, it's the time of year again where people people all over the nation need to be informed that a GSD's stack is very often what makes them look "angled", and that is not part of their structure... LOL.

I was talking about Rumor, and then a friend sends me a photo of this random GSD (clearly not from any line) and tell me she prefers "this structure", basically because the photo was of the dog standing normally and thus had a horizontal back. The dog had weak pasterns and thin hocks and was pretty short bodied, and had dull patchy fur. I don't know man lol.

*OK RANT DONE*

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Samwise will be five this summer. He's just figured out that if he scratches on the front door we'll let him out to potty. Like, in the past couple days. Before this he'd sometimes act a bit restless but not have any really solid 'tells' for having to go.

I swear he's a smart dog. Sometimes.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Not a question or a rant, more of a ha-ha. Someone on a breed group FB page posted this: "OMG I'm so thick! Drove all the way to the vet's which is a 40 minute drive to get <dog> weighed, got here to realize.... I forgot to bring the dog!"

Bahahahaaa!!! So funny! I could see that happening sometimes.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Not a question or a rant, more of a ha-ha. Someone on a breed group FB page posted this: "OMG I'm so thick! Drove all the way to the vet's which is a 40 minute drive to get <dog> weighed, got here to realize.... I forgot to bring the dog!"

Bahahahaaa!!! So funny! I could see that happening sometimes.
I could so easily do that if it were a busy morning or I got distracted.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
How much snow do we have? I'll tell you how much snow we have...

We have a storage room behind the garage (the garage and this room make up the first floor of the house) that has a window that's about 2 feet off the ground. Every winter I cover it with a piece of plywood because a few years ago some icicles shed off of the roof and broke the window. Yesterday I was in the house and heard the roof shed and then a crash from the storage room. When I went down I found that the weight of the snow, which is now over the TOP of the window, had stressed the board so much that it had bowed in and broken the window and bent the frame. Luckily the board held so I only have glass and not tons of snow in the room. I cut a new board to fit inside the frame and nailed it up but it won't hold if the outside board gives out.

I would go shovel some of the snow away from the window but I can't get to it. The snow is literally 8 feet deep around the house.

And it's still only February!! Aaaarrrrrggghhhh!!!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Recently went on vacation, and my dog stayed with my cousin while we were gone. She has a sweet pittie that my dog adores. We got home and I swear that dog was depressed to leave her friend! Both dogs just slept on their beds for two days and didn't eat a thing after we took her home. She was happy to see us of course, but sad to leave her buddy. I guess it's a good thing that she enjoys staying there so much, but I'll admit to being a TAD bummed about her lack of excitement being home! Dogs. :)

(She's totally back to normal now but not eating for two days was weird!) Makes me want to get her a friend. :|

·
Registered
258 Posts
TGKvr, I know the feeling. I really like keeping dogs in pairs and only having one dog makes me sad. He does come to my parent's house to play with the husky every now and again. That's something!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Yeah my other half is not so keen on a second dog. I really want one, but I'm holding out for the long play. She is not quite three yet, we're still training, and I would like to wait until she is around 6 or 7. I mean, I could happily come home with another dog tomorrow but there would be mutiny! (Incidentally, we got engaged on vacation! After 18 years together.....I'm inclined to keep the peace right now...)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Yeah my other half is not so keen on a second dog. I really want one, but I'm holding out for the long play. She is not quite three yet, we're still training, and I would like to wait until she is around 6 or 7. I mean, I could happily come home with another dog tomorrow but there would be mutiny! (Incidentally, we got engaged on vacation! After 18 years together.....I'm inclined to keep the peace right now...)
I'm with you on keeping the peace and staying with one dog right now. The only way I could get this dog was to promise my wife that we'd only have one.

Congrats on the engagement!

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Have always enjoyed the transition of waiting in ages before adding another puppy especially if you are doubling on same sex's.. Get to have the older bomb proof dog either be that perfect leader dog for the pup to mimic and follow in tone and pace. Or get a out of control obnoxious handful of a pup that your bomb proof older dog that knows how to help you and knows when to patiently stays out of the way while your working with the pup. Abhik is 2.5 now and just perfect bringing in a new pup and helping her to be gentle and not to get too excited and knock the pup down.. I found her taking one intense beating from Tasman having the time of his life chewing jumping and attacking her in fun, but Abhik was laying down still playing right along with him..

just think of this time as a good omen that your not at the right place for the right new pup to fall into your lap...

·
Registered
8 Posts
IMG_20160817_083309.jpg
I have 6 Jack Russell Terriers. They all do fine together except my Jessi, the middle child so to speak. She does great with the dogs that were here before she came into the picture, but is aggressive toward the 2 that have come after her. It is so frustrating because I have to keep them separate or deal with fights. Thankfully I have two separate yards and am able to partition off part of the house but it is still frustrating. I wish I knew how to convince Jessi to be nice to and tolerant of Sadie and Willy.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Have always enjoyed the transition of waiting in ages before adding another puppy especially if you are doubling on same sex's.. Get to have the older bomb proof dog either be that perfect leader dog for the pup to mimic and follow in tone and pace. Or get a out of control obnoxious handful of a pup that your bomb proof older dog that knows how to help you and knows when to patiently stays out of the way while your working with the pup. Abhik is 2.5 now and just perfect bringing in a new pup and helping her to be gentle and not to get too excited and knock the pup down.. I found her taking one intense beating from Tasman having the time of his life chewing jumping and attacking her in fun, but Abhik was laying down still playing right along with him..

just think of this time as a good omen that your not at the right place for the right new pup to fall into your lap...
You are very right. We got Cameron, at 5 months, when Toby was around 2 yo, and that worked perfectly.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
So...Ralphie somehow got out of the house tonight. Don't worry, a nice neighbor got ahold of my husband and he is safe. Lured in by food, lol.

But, he had to go through TWO doors in order to get out. One door that leads to the garage that I'm pretty sure was closed, and then a second door that leads from the garage to outside that I'm also pretty sure was closed, but not sure if it was locked, because I heard it slam when my husband left. I was in the shower when he apparently escaped, which is also super unusual because he lays outside the door when I'm in there and moves for nothing except someone coming in the door....CREEPY. People tried to call me, but I was in the shower, and then they got ahold of my husband who came home and told me the dog got out. I didn't hear him bark or anything, but I felt the vibration when he jumped off of the bed (the bedroom is attached to the bathroom, so he lays up there sometimes to wait for me), but nothing else.

I mean, seriously, what are the chances that two doors leading to outside were open so that the dog could just wander out? I'm creeped out, to say the least, and I've heard the door downstairs slam before and the dog runs down there barking, but nobody was there.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Well, it's the time of year again where people people all over the nation need to be informed that a GSD's stack is very often what makes them look "angled", and that is not part of their structure... LOL.

I was talking about Rumor, and then a friend sends me a photo of this random GSD (clearly not from any line) and tell me she prefers "this structure", basically because the photo was of the dog standing normally and thus had a horizontal back. The dog had weak pasterns and thin hocks and was pretty short bodied, and had dull patchy fur. I don't know man lol.

*OK RANT DONE*
I am sorry but her win was political as all get out, sure, there would have been MORE politics if he had picked the mini poodle or the elkhound (I think it was the elkhound) in BOS. But how Rumor GOT there was political. I have talked to people who have shown under this judge and every one of them have said he is a total jerk, my breeder's pumi got into group, and when he walked up to her he goosed her (on purpose I think) just so he could eliminate her.

9301 - 9320 of 9323 Posts