Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

9281 - 9300 of 9323 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I have a "what would you do?" situation. My neighbors are the absolute worst. I live in a rural area, on 20 acres, which is mostly fenced but the fence is broken down in multiple places. We have no livestock currently, so it has not been a high priority for us to fix. So my nearest neighbors, who I can't see from my house, have several dogs. One is a cattle dog mix, another is some type of hound dog mix (new), and several smaller dogs. I don't see the small dogs often - I assume they keep them inside. The other two are outside 100% of the time. But here's the problem. They just roam loose all the time. When I go to unlock the gate on my driveway, which is at the bottom of the mountain near their house, the hound will come close and growl at me. The cattle dog chases every car that comes down the driveway, and darts out in front of the tires out of the trees causing people to stop short and spray gravel (which cost me a lot of money by the way). It's incredibly annoying and frustrating. I've seen both dogs in my actual yard, and recently I've been seeing dog poop in the strangest of places: on the kerosene can (1 gallon) kept out by our fire pit... literally ON the can, by the handle. So weird. I've also seen it on the crash pads beneath our climbing wall. And on the stone flagging just below our porch. I've had it with these neighbors and their dogs.

A little background: a few years ago, a friend was visiting with his intact male pit. The neighbors had a different dog then, and she had come up to our yard that day. Well.. turns out she was in heat. My friend's dog followed her back down the mountain to the neighbor's house. The neighbor gut-shot him as he was mounting the bitch. It was devastating for my friend and he has never been able to get over that "murder" as he calls it - in fact, it really did a number on him psychologically (I won't go into all the details of that but the short of it is that it was really bad and he was borderline suicidal after that - he was homeless at the time, living in his van, and his dog was his life). Now while my friend is obviously not without fault in that situation, his dog WAS just being a dog and following a bitch in heat that should never been allowed to roam free. Needless to say, relations are strained with these neighbors as a result of that and other things.

I've taken to carrying the BB gun in my car because the hound is NOT friendly. He has gotten close enough to me in an aggressive enough demeanor that I popped off a few shots on his rump (it's just a little Red Ryder) but it didn't even faze him. The other day, we were shooting skeet in our pasture and the cattle dog came running full tilt up through the field where we were shooting, and up into the yard until I ran her off. I've had to run them off time and time again.

I've really had it up to here with the neighbors and their unruly dogs. I'm not sure how to approach this situation. I don't want to necessarily make things worse than they are with us, but at the same time, I can't live like this. I can't enjoy my time outside with my own dog - who never strays beyond our own yard and will guard the perimeter - without worrying about these other dogs being where they shouldn't. Not to mention they scare people driving up the driveway because they chase and dart.

How would you handle this? Occasionally they'll tie up the dogs which is great for us but still not ideal for the dogs. There is no leash law to speak of, though legally I know they are required to maintain their animals within their own property. They are just awful owners, which is ironic since their son (a former co-worker of mine) worked for years at the animal shelter here. They don't seem to care that their dogs may get run over or accidentally shot, or that they are aggressive. I've mentioned it twice now via phone with the wife, but nothing has changed. I'm at my wits' end and not sure what to do about it. But I know it's simply unacceptable that I can't go where I want or do what I want on MY OWN PROPERTY without being accosted by their dogs. And the dog crap in weird places was really the thing that put me over the edge. Thoughts? Suggestions?

**ETA: I have ordered some pepper spray to carry with me in place of the BB gun (which is just what I happened to have handy at the time) but I still need to figure out how to address the overall issue.
Since you've already spoken with your neighbours several times I would suggest calling the city bylaws office (if there is one for rural areas) or animal control. You're probably opening yourself up for issues though since your fence is not secure and technically your dog is roaming free as well (even though he stays in your yard).

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
No, my dog doesn't roam free. She is off-leash most of the time while we're home, but I'm always outside WITH her. I don't just let her out unsupervised. I might be working around the property while she is meandering around the yard, but she is always within sight and voice distance. I can't help but feel that the status of my fence should have nothing to do with it though. If had no fence at all, they still shouldn't be allowed to range free on my property. I've never heard of a "city bylaws" office here, but I'll look into it. I'm not within city limits in any case. I've considered calling animal control but I feel like that's a last resort since it will be the dogs that suffer as a result (as much as I dislike those particular dogs, they just don't know any better).

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
First off (since you're already tried speaking with the owners), I would call Animal Control or the Sheriff's office. It was the Sheriff's office for our farm out in the country, no animal control. Take video evidence if you can so you can prove these animals are on your property. Take video of the hound acting aggressively. Take as many videos as you can so you have plenty of evidence!

I know you don't want to call animal control, but in reality you are at the last resort. Where I grew up, if a dog ran at anybody on their own property aggressively, that dog was shot on the next sighting. I feel like if you do not call animal control or a similar authority, someone who is far less forgiving than you will take the "real last resort" and kill these dogs. They will get hit by a car, shot, or killed by another dog or wild animal. Worse, the hound may bite you, your dog, or another human and be euthanized anyway. Dogs that run don't last long.

Other things that have been done in our area is catching the dogs in a live trap, calling the Sheriff, and the sheriff takes them to the pound or other facility. Owners have to pay to have their dog released. After a few of these, most owners try a little harder to keep their dogs contained. Or they don't come looking and the dogs get new owners.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So, Ralphie probably has at least $50 worth of toys that we play with in the yard (through Amazon, this amounts to about 10 toys). Yesterday on our walk we came across one of those 5 gallon water jugs (empty) that you see at offices. Well, I kicked it, and Ralphie went after it. Instantly his new favorite toy. So I picked it up and carried it all the way home for him. Note, I am dressed in full snow gear. You can barely tell I'm a person. I'm holding a long leash attached to a bouncy dog with a backpack on, and I'm carrying a giant 5 gallon jug. What a sight.

So we get in the yard, and Ralphie just chases this thing all over as it slides across the snow making these horrendous growling noises that sounds like he's killing something. Hits the fence, the house, snow drifts, everything. I run around waving my arms and "chasing" him and squealing with laughter. I have no idea what my neighbors think of me at this point. Finally, so tired, he just drops his new stupid toy, and walks to the gate so we can go inside for his supper, lol.
My dogs are the same way! Thanos would rather chase after a laser pointer or steal paper balls than play with his chew toys

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Hmm... good suggestions to take video and pictures... I hadn't even thought of that. I will do so. I might consider the live trap though I feel like that's a lot of trouble to go through (the largest trap I have is for raccoons...). These people already had two of their dogs shot a few years ago because they were killing another neighbor's calves. They were given a warning first, but ignored that, so the next time a calf was killed the dogs were shot (and video evidence produced - totally forgot about that). You'd think they would have learned a lesson then. I'm certainly not going to shoot their dogs, though I'd be justified to do so especially considering he shot my friend's dog, but I definitely feel like it's at the point where I need to do *something*.

I suppose if reporting the situation to the Sherriff could be done anonymously that would be for the best.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Hmm... good suggestions to take video and pictures... I hadn't even thought of that. I will do so. I might consider the live trap though I feel like that's a lot of trouble to go through (the largest trap I have is for raccoons...). These people already had two of their dogs shot a few years ago because they were killing another neighbor's calves. They were given a warning first, but ignored that, so the next time a calf was killed the dogs were shot (and video evidence produced - totally forgot about that). You'd think they would have learned a lesson then. I'm certainly not going to shoot their dogs, though I'd be justified to do so especially considering he shot my friend's dog, but I definitely feel like it's at the point where I need to do *something*.

I suppose if reporting the situation to the Sherriff could be done anonymously that would be for the best.
I'm sure the Sheriff would keep your name out of any conversation he had with the owners. Have you talked to other neighbors? Are they having issues with these dogs, too? If you can get multiple parties to file complaints that is even better.

You could also set up those motion activated sprayers, noise makers, and other repellants if you need a quick fix or just want to keep them away from your house. I know you have 20 acres so this is not a great solution in the long term, but perhaps it will keep them from nosing immediately around your house. You just have to remember to deactivate them when you take your own dog out.

But, yeah, at this point those dogs are well on their way to getting killed, so I would not feel guilty at all calling in the Sheriff/animal control or capturing them myself to have taken to the pound.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
First off (since you're already tried speaking with the owners), I would call Animal Control or the Sheriff's office. It was the Sheriff's office for our farm out in the country, no animal control. Take video evidence if you can so you can prove these animals are on your property. Take video of the hound acting aggressively. Take as many videos as you can so you have plenty of evidence!

I know you don't want to call animal control, but in reality you are at the last resort. Where I grew up, if a dog ran at anybody on their own property aggressively, that dog was shot on the next sighting. I feel like if you do not call animal control or a similar authority, someone who is far less forgiving than you will take the "real last resort" and kill these dogs. They will get hit by a car, shot, or killed by another dog or wild animal. Worse, the hound may bite you, your dog, or another human and be euthanized anyway. Dogs that run don't last long.

Other things that have been done in our area is catching the dogs in a live trap, calling the Sheriff, and the sheriff takes them to the pound or other facility. Owners have to pay to have their dog released. After a few of these, most owners try a little harder to keep their dogs contained. Or they don't come looking and the dogs get new owners.
I still do this, in my area it is legal to shoot a marauding animal on site. If I just see then meandering around and not bothering my stock, I'll just run them off, but if they are bothering my stock, they're dead, #sorrynotsorry

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I still do this, in my area it is legal to shoot a marauding animal on site. If I just see then meandering around and not bothering my stock, I'll just run them off, but if they are bothering my stock, they're dead, #sorrynotsorry
My father had to shoot dogs harassing his sheep, his cows. It's farmers/ranchers livelihood! If he knew the owner he always called them to come get them, and if they were friendly we contained them, and typically those people would take better containment measurements afterwards. But once a pack of dogs were roaming the countryside and bothering livestock all over. Sheriff couldn't catch them. We only had one to cover an entire county at the time. They were not friendly. I was outside in our yard and this pack of dogs wandered through, 3 or 4 I think, started running at me in a not very nice way. I was probably 6 or 7. I had to jump up on to the cab of a pickup to get away from them. I had rocks in my pocket (I don't know why, lol) so I threw those and they eventually ran off when my dad came through the yard with his tractor.

Yeah, but after that the dogs got shot at every time they came near anybody's yard or livestock. Word got around they chased a kid. They either left the area or were killed.

So, yeah, never feel sorry for calling animal control on loose dogs because their life will end far sooner than it has to, or a person will get hurt. For some reason packs of loose, bored dogs can get up to some dangerous mischief.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
My father had to shoot dogs harassing his sheep, his cows. It's farmers/ranchers livelihood! If he knew the owner he always called them to come get them, and if they were friendly we contained them, and typically those people would take better containment measurements afterwards. But once a pack of dogs were roaming the countryside and bothering livestock all over. Sheriff couldn't catch them. We only had one to cover an entire county at the time. They were not friendly. I was outside in our yard and this pack of dogs wandered through, 3 or 4 I think, started running at me in a not very nice way. I was probably 6 or 7. I had to jump up on to the cab of a pickup to get away from them. I had rocks in my pocket (I don't know why, lol) so I threw those and they eventually ran off when my dad came through the yard with his tractor.

Yeah, but after that the dogs got shot at every time they came near anybody's yard or livestock. Word got around they chased a kid. They either left the area or were killed.

So, yeah, never feel sorry for calling animal control on loose dogs because their life will end far sooner than it has to, or a person will get hurt. For some reason packs of loose, bored dogs can get up to some dangerous mischief.
Yes, I agree 100%, it's my job to make sure my dogs, and the other animals under my care are safe FIRST. The welfare of any marauding animals comes second, I am sorry, but that is the way it has to be.

Would I feel bad if I killed someone's dog? yes, but they should have been more responsible and not let it run all over god and creation.

·
Registered
17,901 Posts

On the mend.

Still has that open incision but it's closed up a LOT.

Swelling is down, too.

Bonus pic from his breeder of 2 year old him doing Weight Pull

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Quick rant.. someone my mom knows posted on Facebook the puppy they brought home for Christmas awhile back. My mom was upset and sent me a picture asking how old I thought the aussie pup was, I guessed 3 maybe 4 weeks! My mom asked them how old it was and was told 6 weeks. Then about 3 weeks later they had a post about the puppy turning 7 weeks old. My mom, knowing that these ppl are a very busy family and new to dog ownership tried giving them some advice on aussies and puppies and recommended going to a puppy class that I am currently taking my aussie pup to. She even offered to set up a time for me to help them with socializing the pup. They of course weren't interested in any of that. Many people were commenting about how crazy and how much work aussies are and they responded with they wanted a smart dog with blue eyes..Then they are asking on Facebook for advice because this puppy is chewing. Someone actually told them to put foil on the things the puppy liked to chew on... Ugh the whole thing makes me mad especially since it's my breed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey guys,

I also have a quick vent I have to get out of my system. I was watching a Korean dog training show and I was just in disbelief the whole time while watching it. The format of the show is like Cesar Milan-an introduction of a doggy issue and a trainer helps solve the issue. However, I feel this trainer is way more appropriate for watchers (which I am hugely thankful for) compared to Cesar Milan because he seems to use effective positive reinforcement techniques that the average viewer can adopt, rather than basing it off of alpha/beta dynamics and forcing the dog to submit or whatnot.

So anyways, the lady has two Afghan hounds-a 10 month old and a 3 month old in a tiny apartment (which I dont have a problem with, as long as the dogs are given proper exercise you know?) and they completely rip the apartment apart and the 10month dog seems to have severe SA. As the episode progresses, she states that she hasn't taken the dogs out in a month (!!!), when she got the 3 month puppy a month ago. I'm just really flabbergasted, like how can you not take a dog-and an active breed no less-out on a walk at least once in two days???? My dog has 3-4 hours of walk daily (which may be too much for some people), but really even a 20 min walk daily will do at the minimum. And she wonders why the dogs are causing havoc inside.... Oh and get this, she also got the debarking surgery for the dog-she said some excuse about how the dog was howling and barking too much because of SA and her mom forced her to do the surgery or something...I can't imagine doing unless the circumstances are extremely dire. Even the trainer was in slight disbelief, and I'm sure he wouldve been more harsh if he wasn't on TV.

And I saw the last parts of an episode before this where this couple had an aggressive sharpei that didn't like his owners. Apparently the owners punished him constantly-didn't see why. And they had this scene where they were walking the dog, and it becomes clear this owner also never walked his dog a lot. He literally asked, "oh I have to walk this dog daily?" Seriously..

Although Korea is not quite as dog friendly as other countries, there's definitely a gradual change for the better and I'm glad that there are shows like this to educate people on how to raise their dogs. But people should really do their research on dog breeds instead of just getting one for a random reason and can't provide adequate exercise requirements for the dog...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hey guys,

I also have a quick vent I have to get out of my system. I was watching a Korean dog training show and I was just in disbelief the whole time while watching it. The format of the show is like Cesar Milan-an introduction of a doggy issue and a trainer helps solve the issue. However, I feel this trainer is way more appropriate for watchers (which I am hugely thankful for) compared to Cesar Milan because he seems to use effective positive reinforcement techniques that the average viewer can adopt, rather than basing it off of alpha/beta dynamics and forcing the dog to submit or whatnot.

So anyways, the lady has two Afghan hounds-a 10 month old and a 3 month old in a tiny apartment (which I dont have a problem with, as long as the dogs are given proper exercise you know?) and they completely rip the apartment apart and the 10month dog seems to have severe SA. As the episode progresses, she states that she hasn't taken the dogs out in a month (!!!), when she got the 3 month puppy a month ago. I'm just really flabbergasted, like how can you not take a dog-and an active breed no less-out on a walk at least once in two days???? My dog has 3-4 hours of walk daily (which may be too much for some people), but really even a 20 min walk daily will do at the minimum. And she wonders why the dogs are causing havoc inside.... Oh and get this, she also got the debarking surgery for the dog-she said some excuse about how the dog was howling and barking too much because of SA and her mom forced her to do the surgery or something...I can't imagine doing unless the circumstances are extremely dire. Even the trainer was in slight disbelief, and I'm sure he wouldve been more harsh if he wasn't on TV.

And I saw the last parts of an episode before this where this couple had an aggressive sharpei that didn't like his owners. Apparently the owners punished him constantly-didn't see why. And they had this scene where they were walking the dog, and it becomes clear this owner also never walked his dog a lot. He literally asked, "oh I have to walk this dog daily?" Seriously..

Although Korea is not quite as dog friendly as other countries, there's definitely a gradual change for the better and I'm glad that there are shows like this to educate people on how to raise their dogs. But people should really do their research on dog breeds instead of just getting one for a random reason and can't provide adequate exercise requirements for the dog...
Darn, that stinks! :( I feel the issue is even less just "getting exercise", but the owners not having any idea how to raise an average dog. I'm sure the trainer on the show didn't even know where to start.

Korea, China, Taiwan really have been getting better over the years with how dogs are treated/viewed in general, especially with groups (mostly younger people) out there now pushing for animal welfare in their own country. I think it is kinda an old culture to view dogs as objects and possessions, and not seeing them as creatures of intelligence and emotion.

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
Does anyone else here that has a dog who chatters their teeth in response to intense arousal (besides a male dog in response to a female in heat, which I hear is fairly common)?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Does anyone else here that has a dog who chatters their teeth in response to intense arousal (besides a male dog in response to a female in heat, which I hear is fairly common)?
Yeah somewhat, even just from waiting for a toy, which is how I get photos of him "smiling". :p

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
Yeah somewhat, even just from waiting for a toy, which is how I get photos of him "smiling". :p

That's adorable and reminds me I should try to get a picture of Molly doing the happy submissive grin thing, though it looks ferocious to those who can't look at the whole dog.

Molly only really chatters when we're at agility or lure coursing - like the drive up to the destination, but it's the WEIRDEST THING. Makes me laugh, now that I've figured it out. Was pretty sure she was having some kind of seizure the first time (With the combination to vibrating and screaming, you know).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey guys,

I just don't understand why those types of people would get a dog, let alone two! Maybe she got the second dog for the first dog to play with? But how are the people filming not doing something to help the dogs???

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
I would like to take back everything I have ever said about vet care not being 'that' expensive, since I live in a fairly inexpensive area.

Jack went BACK to the e-vet tonight, for another and more extensive surgery, since he has another abscess, likely caused by some foreign body (tiny one) traveling around his neck, another overnight stay, and more meds and bloodwork. Also, his thyroid is slightly low (but bloodwork is otherwise okay). First and foremost I want my dog to be okay and I'm worried about him.

Secondarily, Jesus, two emergency surgeries within a month is a little much, dog.

9281 - 9300 of 9323 Posts