Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 9322 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I'm excited about it! Wish I could get more primes. Wouldn't have gotten the kit 55-200 when I got my camera originally but you live and learn.

I got it from best buy because I impulse buy a lot and didn't want to wait for shipping. It was $200. On most websites it is right along those lines anyways B&H was 196 so was worth getting it same day to me.

B&H has a domestic and imported one though. They are the exact same thing as far as the lens but the domestic comes with a longer warranty?? That is on back order though. I think the best buy must be the imported one as we ll think its only a year warranty but lenses are made pretty well even though they do feel plastic...y

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

For a prime lens it is super cheap. I would go for it if you can. Only took a few shots with it but it is fast and great in low light. I'll throw some pictures up in my thread and on Flickr this weekend

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
This was Tucker too, then one day he decided he liked water. And BAM, now I can't keep him out of it.
Don't worry, it'll come!
It snowed this week and he was pouncing around in it so that was kind of a relief or else would have been a rough winter. Might need to invest in snow pants for the first time in awhile If he wants to play outside

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
I'm excited about it! Wish I could get more primes. Wouldn't have gotten the kit 55-200 when I got my camera originally but you live and learn.

I got it from best buy because I impulse buy a lot and didn't want to wait for shipping. It was $200. On most websites it is right along those lines anyways B&H was 196 so was worth getting it same day to me.

B&H has a domestic and imported one though. They are the exact same thing as far as the lens but the domestic comes with a longer warranty?? That is on back order though. I think the best buy must be the imported one as we ll think its only a year warranty but lenses are made pretty well even though they do feel plastic...y

For a prime lens it is super cheap. I would go for it if you can. Only took a few shots with it but it is fast and great in low light. I'll throw some pictures up in my thread and on Flickr this weekend

Am I following you on Flickr? I can't remember... lol but I know I've been meaning to. Looking forward to seeing what you get! I may have to splurge after the holidays!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Rant!

Why on earth do people put up an ad saying they are looking for a dog, and then, when you email them with exactly the type of dog they describe that they want, they don't email back, not even to say "not interested" and their ad stays up for weeks! I've emailed about half a dozen people and gotten no answer at all. I've looked over the emails and there has been nothing rude, nothing that would turn people off. The absolute worst thing I've said so far is that he is untested around children.

The reason I've run into this is that rather than posting an ad for adopting Dexter (yes, time for foster time to be over), I figured I would watch for wanted dog ads, since the people are interested enough in having a dog that they took the time to post an ad (and I'm only answering ones where the people seem decent....and there would be a lot of "interviewing" before handing him over). I hate this process of adopting him out! If I ever foster again it will be a formal arrangement! After the last person who adopted him turned out to be an idiot, I'm SO freaked out by the entire thing and kind of terrified!

On the up side, I did get an answer from someone I emailed last night who lost her long time family dog to old age, and was looking for a new puppy, they miss the companionship and the time they spend with the dog (etc etc). Sounded like someone worth considering anyway. I asked how stuck she was on having a puppy or if she is interested in an adult dog. She emailed back and asked for pictures this morning....a start anyway. Rather than have her come here to meet him I'm going to see if we can take him to meet her at her home for the first meeting. Rather than having to say we want to do a "home visit" we can go under the guise of making things convenient for her (as it so happens she is in a similar area to my parents, so it isn't bad for us either), but also get a small scoping out of the kind of situation where he would be living. All I can say is I do plan on giving a fair chance but if I see an old stake in the ground with a chain tethered to it waiting for a new living lawn ornament I'll just be turning around.

Overall, I'm just frustrated about the whole thing, so many things to cause stress in the whole situation.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Rant!

Why on earth do people put up an ad saying they are looking for a dog, and then, when you email them with exactly the type of dog they describe that they want, they don't email back, not even to say "not interested" and their ad stays up for weeks! I've emailed about half a dozen people and gotten no answer at all. I've looked over the emails and there has been nothing rude, nothing that would turn people off. The absolute worst thing I've said so far is that he is untested around children.

The reason I've run into this is that rather than posting an ad for adopting Dexter (yes, time for foster time to be over), I figured I would watch for wanted dog ads, since the people are interested enough in having a dog that they took the time to post an ad (and I'm only answering ones where the people seem decent....and there would be a lot of "interviewing" before handing him over). I hate this process of adopting him out! If I ever foster again it will be a formal arrangement! After the last person who adopted him turned out to be an idiot, I'm SO freaked out by the entire thing and kind of terrified!

On the up side, I did get an answer from someone I emailed last night who lost her long time family dog to old age, and was looking for a new puppy, they miss the companionship and the time they spend with the dog (etc etc). Sounded like someone worth considering anyway. I asked how stuck she was on having a puppy or if she is interested in an adult dog. She emailed back and asked for pictures this morning....a start anyway. Rather than have her come here to meet him I'm going to see if we can take him to meet her at her home for the first meeting. Rather than having to say we want to do a "home visit" we can go under the guise of making things convenient for her (as it so happens she is in a similar area to my parents, so it isn't bad for us either), but also get a small scoping out of the kind of situation where he would be living. All I can say is I do plan on giving a fair chance but if I see an old stake in the ground with a chain tethered to it waiting for a new living lawn ornament I'll just be turning around.

Overall, I'm just frustrated about the whole thing, so many things to cause stress in the whole situation.
I think being courteous is out the window and people just don't care. A lot of people don't know how to say "please" and "thank you"; will step in front of you without hesitation and basically are rude. I try to treat others as I like to be treated but I see more and more people just are out for themselves. Don't be stressed, unfortunately it seems it's the way of the world these days.

·
Registered
180 Posts
If you just click one of them it takes you to the website that makes them.
Yeah it's a site called pita pata I think. I used to have one but I opted to show case my dragons instead
Thanks! I found the site and got one of my own (as you can see from my sig:wink:)

It's kinda lame how that website has such limited icons for dogs. There are no short-haired black and white dog options so I went with the all black one that had ears the most similar to my Argus's.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Bought the lens.

My fiancee used to have this lens, it's a good lens. Congrats on the purchase!! I've never heard of rocketfish UV filters but I have had experience with cheap UV filters, whenever the light hits them it decreases contrast alllooott. I have a b&w filter on my 35, but still experienced that problem to some extent so I will probably switch again :(.

·
Registered
868 Posts

i've had metal lenses and they get SUPER heavy throughout the day, you'll get sticklers about the plastic but i'll take the lightness of the plastic any day :p. the imported ones are made in japan and sent over. i think they're technically "grey" market lenses but it really doesn't matter. they're pretty much the same thing :).

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Bought the lens.

Awesome! Loved your pictures in the other thread, and very jealous of your new purchase. Will be my next lens for sure, just have to wait a little. Might drop some heavy hints now that we're approaching Christmas LOL

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Yea it works well but just has that cheap feel. Since I have never had a heavy lens in sure I would like the plastic but from a feel perspective it does have that semi cheap feel.

It's a super cheap lens for what you get (in the camera world) would for sure recommend it. The storms this weekend prevented me from going outside with it but I'll get some more soon. I'm not great with a flash so not sure the rule of thumb when it comes to using the flash and when I am inside there isn't always enough light and would like to get some shots that aren't all at 1.8 aperture!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Now that snow and salt is on the ground when Holt goes out he favors his paws and tried not to touch then or have then on the ground after about a half block to a full block. Is this most likely a salt issue or a cold issue? It is hard to tell. He usually start by holding his back leg up and then slowly the rest of them so he walks super awkward (kind of funny to watch) and/or takes several steps on three legs then switches. Just trying to figure out what it is.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
I was at the park yesterday and was playing ball with the puppy in the far corner of the field so no one would bother me. I was the only one there until a couple adults and four small children probably all under 8 years old start walking down the path past the field. Anyways I'm watching them to make sure they don't get too close because my puppy gets too excited.

Sure enough all four kids start running my way all the way across the entire field. Now I have to leash him up so he doesn't run towards them. Of course they all want to pet Ryker and I'm not going to tell them "no" since they ran all this way. Long story short he tries jumping all over them and barks at them and now they're scared of him. Whatever. WHY would their parents let them run all the way across the field to a complete stranger! I obviously didn't want to be bothered.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Now that snow and salt is on the ground when Holt goes out he favors his paws and tried not to touch then or have then on the ground after about a half block to a full block. Is this most likely a salt issue or a cold issue? It is hard to tell. He usually start by holding his back leg up and then slowly the rest of them so he walks super awkward (kind of funny to watch) and/or takes several steps on three legs then switches. Just trying to figure out what it is.

Thanks

My dogs hold their paws up when they are getting too cold. Maybe he needs boots. Also the folks with their sled dogs use "Mushers Secret" on their dogs paws.

http://musherssecret.net/

21 - 40 of 9322 Posts